[All eras]Some lore questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Firanai View Post

In my head cannon, the appearance of Novas shook the Shadow to its core.
    I thought this was the official view, not just your head canon. Novas were too ‘large’ and their power too great for the Shadow to remain shrouded. The presence of novas who would either associate with people from the Shadow, or turned their attention to working against people from the Shadow, just busted it open. The Shadow was basically shredded in the Aberrant era.

I thought I’d read that from Ian somewhere, but perhaps it was a fan thing.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

• It wouldn’t surprise me.

But I can totally imagine the Swarm actively recruiting stealth-based novas, such as El Supay.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

I thought this was the official view, not just your head canon. Novas were too ‘large’ and their power too great for the Shadow to remain shrouded. The presence of novas who would either associate with people from the Shadow, or turned their attention to working against people from the Shadow, just busted it open. The Shadow was basically shredded in the Aberrant era.

I'm not sure if there's an official view, but this is also a perfectly valid approach. My take is based on the societies letting paranoia and distrust of the Novas be the default attitude. In another version, greed and opportunism wins over from the beginning which means societies work with, and even use, Novas. The problem is, as you said, that Novas are larger than life and the shadow struggles to contain them. Eventually, the shadow ruptures, societies are exposed to the world, and like a piece of bloody meat in a piranha tank law enforcement and rival criminal organizations turn them to shreds. It would take years or even decades after the aberrant war for a new shadow to establish itself.

Comment

• Your description of Shadow transformation is just awesome! Well, now its ours... (imagine the Bugs Bunny meme here)

Anyway, I think the way assassins masteries work, the same way for Psiads and some overt Talents, would be interpreted by many as Nova powers, weak ones, but still novas powers. Lets say picking a bullet in the air is not something normal person can do...

The tech at start of Nova era, as well as the almost complete knowledge of other sources of powers, would make them feel like Novas, as they can do impossible things. Maybe with some help of the core of Aeon Society, that have the knowledge of the different kinds of Inspired, or studding how Novas powers work they may find ways to differentiate what is a real Nova and what is not, the assassins can identify themselves and fight Novas certain they are not ones (and the following time line you described, that is now ours).

It's kind of tricky to think about it, but people don't know how their powers work and dont know how other people powers work, so, unless you deal with many different powered people and have some kind of sense of source (Talents and Assassins may have it and all Psiads have it, but they may still lack the experience to differentiate them), there is no way to tell who is what.
          Also, the media will not help, if you can track people in the other side of the world or if you can lift a ping pong ball with your mind, you are a Nova, maybe a weak or a more secretive form of Nova, but still a Nova.
          We know who is who because we can see their char sheets, but the Psiads we see in the Aberrant book are all treated as Novas by the people in game including themselves, one of them is a Terat, she literally think she is a goddess because she has pychokinetic powers.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
          House Rules - Quantum - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
          House Rules - Psi - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Æon
          Fists and Tomes - Inspired Martial Arts and Mysticism for Talents

Comment

• Who is the psychokinetic would-be Terat? I don’t remember seeing it in the corebook.

Comment

• My players are THE WORST - ( or I am on NPC roleplay ) - First they talk with Mercer in 1923 - they get from him that he saw 100 years into the future. 😮

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

• Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
                Who is the psychokinetic would-be Terat? I don’t remember seeing it in the corebook.
                Not on Core. It's on Aberrant book, one of the sample antagonists (I think the last one)

Comment

• Yeah. Just looked her up. I like that even some Terats don’t know the difference between nova and psiad. I mrean, Divis Mal probably would, but most Terats have no way of discerning between the two.

Which makes me wonder: what happened to those psiads that thought they were novas? Psiads, if they’re anything like psions, have extended lifespans. Did any psiads accompany Aberrants in the Aberrant Exodus?

Comment

Which makes me wonder: what happened to those psiads that thought they were novas? Psiads, if they’re anything like psions, have extended lifespans. Did any psiads accompany Aberrants in the Aberrant Exodus?
                    Anima mentions in passing that some of the psiads helping Dr. Bhurano investigate events in the city of Cascade have to keep a low profile because they were around during the Nova Age and would be mistaken for Aberrants.

Comment

• Yeah. When will TC Anima be out? Anybody know? Or TC Adventure!, for that matter.

Comment

• I would number the Psiads in a hundred and something during Nova era, maybe a little more. Could even say, but I know some people will disagree, that N-Day helped many Psiads to get their powers, if not for a "Telluric" help (after all, the N-Day device is a reengineered version of Hammersmith, maybe there is some Noetic reinforcement too), for letting them to try their powers thinking they were Novas.

For what they did during and after Aberrant War, I guess many went away with the Novas, theinking themselves as Novas, but as they are not detected by quantum detectors and had no transformations, they were free to walk around undetected, as lonk they kept their powers on secret (Sarah as example).

There is one other relevant psiad family that I would like to point out in Mission Statements that is probably around for a while doing shadowy stuff, named Rousseau... She seams to be around since Aberrant 1e... and they did stay on Earth and made a lot of money after the war.
                        Last edited by Mateus Luz; 09-18-2022, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• Ooooh! Sophia! Is she still around, in TC Aeon?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

That's something I mentioned on the Discord, I think. It's not canon in the sense that it's in any published material, but that's my take on it, at least. There's no way for Assassins to remain long in Shadow in a world with novas. Everywhere they go, the spotlight follows. Every step they take, quantum ripples shred the delicate veil propped up to keep Assassins from view.

Of course, once the Aberrant War is over, there's no reason that new Societies couldn't form...

Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
                            Yeah. When will TC Anima be out? Anybody know? Or TC Adventure!, for that matter.

Onyx Path doesn't do release dates, but you can track the progress of Adventure! and Anima in the monthly Kickstarter updates, or on the monthly Release Roundup blog posts, or look at any weekly changes in the Monday Meeting Notes blog.

Ian A. A. Watson
                            Onyx Path Community Manager
                            Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

• Thanks, Ian!

And yeah, I agree, novas should have shattered the Shadow. I imagine El Supay found his way to the Shadow side of things with some incredible ease!

Comment

Ooooh! Sophia! Is she still around, in TC Aeon?
                                Not Sophia, but her Daughter (or maybe grand daughter), Colette, is alive during Aeon era.

Comment

Working...
                                X