[All eras]Some lore questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RickJonzz View Post

Now I'm imagining running a game where the first round of PCs are Mina's Monster Hunters. They totally kill Dracula. Fast forward to Adventure, where their grown kids discover that Dracula didn't die and have to totally kill Dracula for real. Repeat with Assassins, Aberrant, Anima and Aeon.

Each time, Dracula is slightly different. Each time, he's killed in a way that nobody could have survived.

In the end, we learn that when Edison tried to unwind Dracula, he just got multiple Draculas. (Draculae?) They were all from slightly different timelines and had some kind handwavy mental link, so each time one of the Draculas dies, their memories and power get passed to the remaining Dracs.
    This...is beautiful. I applaud you.

Comment

• Anima / Aeon - How Japan become Nova led country? And why it shut up to any other side commerce?
      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-14-2022, 01:42 PM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

• Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
        Anima / Aeon - How Japan become Nova led country? And why it shut up to any other side commerce?
        Japan isn't led by Novas. What happened is that Japan decided that isolation was the best strategy for survival during the aberrant war. Also, for the most part, their Novas remained sane and very loyal. So, instead of betraying their Novas, Japan used their power to basically turn the whole nation into a giant, self-sufficient Arcology fortress and closed their doors. The idea was to weather the storm and wait for better times. I would say that the strategy paid off.

Comment

• And the Superiors, what amount to basically neutered novas? They don’t lead Nippon, either. The Nihonjin, nationally, are led by neutrals.

And they hate biotech because Nihonjin novas analyzed it...and came to a rather shocking conclusion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firanai View Post
            Japan isn't led by Novas. What happened is that Japan decided that isolation was the best strategy for survival during the aberrant war. Also, for the most part, their Novas remained sane and very loyal. So, instead of betraying their Novas, Japan used their power to basically turn the whole nation into a giant, self-sufficient Arcology fortress and closed their doors. The idea was to weather the storm and wait for better times. I would say that the strategy paid off.
            They kind of did betray their novas, in that they used genetic profiling to determine which novas were most likely to go aberrant and either expelled them from the country or quietly assassinated them. I'm actually a bit surprised there were so many novas left in the country afterwards. IIRC there were a bit over 4000 acknowledged novas by the Aberrant War era. There are about 200 countries on Earth. That means a "typical" nation would have a bit over 20 novas. Nippon still had 31 after culling the ones likely to become aberrant.

Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
            And the Superiors, what amount to basically neutered novas? They don’t lead Nippon, either. The Nihonjin, nationally, are led by neutrals.

And they hate biotech because Nihonjin novas analyzed it...and came to a rather shocking conclusion.
            Their novas didn't analyze the foreign biotech because they were all killed defending the Earth from an Aberrant horde before the Psions arose. Regular researchers are the ones who detected the unknown alien DNA.

Comment

• After ten years, there were 2,000-Some novas. That number kept ratcheting up. By the Aberrant War, they may have been over ten thousand novas running around—-or more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
                After ten years, there were 2,000-Some novas. That number kept ratcheting up. By the Aberrant War, they may have been over ten thousand novas running around—-or more!
                Which makes wonder how the hell they didn't destroy the planet by accident.

Comment

• It wasn’t novas vs humans. Novas fought for humanity, too.

Comment

• Well, I got TC Assassins and N!WE Unleashed. Games offline today, do only briefly perused them. So far I have liked what I have seen. This will inevitably spark more questions on my part. Oh joy!

Comment

• It's more of comment than question - but I'm planning my Assassins game set in 2025. Compared to books 'we do almost only John Wick and Assassin's Creed homage' - I plan to point target for players to explore some Trinity lore of the era - and put clues to future events in Anima and Aeon part of chronicle.

In Sri Lanka I plan Contract to be grab Sara Kaur experiments notes with Telluric Energies ( later Psi) from 1930- 40s. In Tokyo finale, I want to put PCs against Davis Mal that wants to finally 'flip the switch'. ( There was no Galatea explosion in my private timeline - so no official Aberrant era. 'Tokyo Incident' will be first take on the subject. ) This event lead to Japan knowing about Novas before rest of the world - and rising Great Nippon Firewall, like China. 🤔

Still do not have lore piece for Contract in Morocco... 🤔
                      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-16-2022, 12:25 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                      LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

• Some TC Assassins questions:
                        1. Are novas deflected by the Flux-aura Assassins generate? Like, for example, El Supay? Could he enter the Shadow?
                        2. How do you imagine the Shadow fared, in the Nova Age? What role do you imagine Assassins played in the Aberrant War?
                        3. Could a nova be deliberately brought into the Shadow? Could El Supay belong to, say, Baphomet?
                        Last edited by Demigod Beast; 09-17-2022, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• Answers by me, only canonical in point 3, as direct book quotes.

1. Are novas deflected by the Flux-aura Assassins generate? Like, for example, El Supay? Could he enter the Shadow?
                          Seeing how Flux, Quantum and Psi are all related - I would assume that Novas just can see past it. As Quantum is not the Flux itself - they just do not assume to look for the places shrouded by 'Flux Mystery' generated by Assassins - but once knowing about the place, Novas just see everything as it is. Imagine this for Nova as 'scales fell from their eyes' first time they are introduced to Assassins place.

2. How do you imagine the Shadow fared, in the Nova Age? What role do you imagine Assassins played in the Aberrant War?
                          In my alternate timeline with Novas coming later and branded Aberrants from the start - Assassins are Novas hunters. Project Proteus hunting Novas is secret of United Nations Security Council. It's fanon, but I think it's logical, even for official timeline version, with 'positive' Novas in it.

When we go for all Aberrant Wars - Assassins are 'normal people' best tools of defenses before raging Aberrants/Novas. Super soldiers. Or... Assassins on war. 😎

3. Could a nova be deliberately brought into the Shadow? Could El Supay belong to, say, Baphomet?
                          If you play with Novas and Assassins in the same universe - I do not see reason why Novas cannot join Shadow Societies. It's just Novas should be heroic - and Assassins are at most antiheroes. Even Daughters of Jacobian or Signal. Remember, Societies have ties to 'normal' Daylight Allegiances. Like Daughters of Jacobians have close relations with Aeon Society. Also, TC Assassins points that Super-Tech Assassins use is made by 'normal' Talents, in other Allegiances - like Transcendent Alliance makes weapons and tech for them. ( Frames at page 21 and 24 of TC Assassins. )
                          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-17-2022, 02:03 PM.

LGBT+ through Ages
                          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

• 1. There is no "Enter the shadow", shadow has this aura of "don't pay attention on me" and "run!", and novas are not immune to it, but non assassins are preset in the shadow, so novas too can hang around with assassins, but they are usually famous, so assassins will try to avoid it.

2. I would say some assassins would be considered Novas for their powers, so I guess they fought in both sides, and did as different things as talents and psiads did, according to their powers.

3. My previous answers probably would suggest my opinion is Yes.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                            House Rules - Quantum - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
                            House Rules - Psi - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Æon
                            Fists and Tomes - Inspired Martial Arts and Mysticism for Talents

Comment

• Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
                              In my head cannon, the appearance of Novas shook the Shadow to its core.

Just think about it, Novas represent one of the most challenging targets ever: They're incredibly powerful, it's impossible to be 100% sure of what powers they have access to, most are famous to some degree, and they belong to a small community with a lot of influence, when one disappears the rest of the world takes notice. Then you have organizations like the world crime taskforce filled with detectives where Sherlock Holmes skill level is the standard, destroying the twilight world of organized crime. Even worse, through the process of natural selection the surviving criminals are the toughest bastards you've ever seen. It's also worth mentioning that there are probably Nova Elites working as assassins with powers that put even the skills of masters to shame.

The world of the shadow had not choice but to retreat to the, well, deeper shadows, pardon the pun. Then the different societies banded together under a siege mentality, tightening their control over their operatives and becoming much more selective with their contracts. However, this also had the effect of bringing a new era of cooperation, where conflicts between them were reduced to a minimum and the operatives could count on the help and resources of other societies more freely. If they had played their cards right, they could have united and become THE society of the shadows, the secret masters of the world. Sadly, that's not how it went.

The element that ultimately brought everything down was the one that brought them together in the first place: The novas. What to do with them? At the beginning, they stayed the hell away from them as much as possible due to fear of them bringing too much light into the shadow, and only ordered a hit under the most extreme circumstances. However, as the attitude towards Novas soured, contracts to take them out started to grow, same as the rewards. Societies became divided between those who wanted to keep limiting contact with Novas and those who wanted an open hunting season.

The aberrant war was the deciding factor, everyone agreed that the Novas had to be dealt with, but many in the Shadow felt that going at them too openly risked extinction. In the end, personal ambition and ideology won and each society went their separate way. For some, the allure of glory or simple greed proved too much and fought the gods openly, with devastating consequences for their societies. Others chose a more indirect approach, trying to work through other organizations and weakening the support structure of the Nova rather than going after the Nova itself. Then others just tried to minimize the collateral damage and save as many people as possible.

Regardless of the approach, the Shadow did what it always did, it adapted to the changing world. Societies fell or transformed into something else, a new shadow emerged with new faces but with the same grim objective. The only thing they shared in common was one simple thing: Never again. The Assassins swore that they would never again hesitate to hunt down the false gods that promised utopia but delivered hell. That's why in the future, a new breed of Assassin emerged, the Aberrant hunters, the shining knights of the world of shadows that hunted down the dragons everyone was afraid of.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firanai View Post

In my head cannon, the appearance of Novas shook the Shadow to its core.

Just think about it, Novas represent one of the most challenging targets ever: They're incredibly powerful, it's impossible to be 100% sure of what powers they have access to, most are famous to some degree, and they belong to a small community with a lot of influence, when one disappears the rest of the world takes notice. Then you have organizations like the world crime taskforce filled with detectives where Sherlock Holmes skill level is the standard, destroying the twilight world of organized crime. Even worse, through the process of natural selection the surviving criminals are the toughest bastards you've ever seen. It's also worth mentioning that there are probably Nova Elites working as assassins with powers that put even the skills of masters to shame.

The world of the shadow had not choice but to retreat to the, well, deeper shadows, pardon the pun. Then the different societies banded together under a siege mentality, tightening their control over their operatives and becoming much more selective with their contracts. However, this also had the effect of bringing a new era of cooperation, where conflicts between them were reduced to a minimum and the operatives could count on the help and resources of other societies more freely. If they had played their cards right, they could have united and become THE society of the shadows, the secret masters of the world. Sadly, that's not how it went.

The element that ultimately brought everything down was the one that brought them together in the first place: The novas. What to do with them? At the beginning, they stayed the hell away from them as much as possible due to fear of them bringing too much light into the shadow, and only ordered a hit under the most extreme circumstances. However, as the attitude towards Novas soured, contracts to take them out started to grow, same as the rewards. Societies became divided between those who wanted to keep limiting contact with Novas and those who wanted an open hunting season.

The aberrant war was the deciding factor, everyone agreed that the Novas had to be dealt with, but many in the Shadow felt that going at them too openly risked extinction. In the end, personal ambition and ideology won and each society went their separate way. For some, the allure of glory or simple greed proved too much and fought the gods openly, with devastating consequences for their societies. Others chose a more indirect approach, trying to work through other organizations and weakening the support structure of the Nova rather than going after the Nova itself. Then others just tried to minimize the collateral damage and save as many people as possible.

Regardless of the approach, the Shadow did what it always did, it adapted to the changing world. Societies fell or transformed into something else, a new shadow emerged with new faces but with the same grim objective. The only thing they shared in common was one simple thing: Never again. The Assassins swore that they would never again hesitate to hunt down the false gods that promised utopia but delivered hell. That's why in the future, a new breed of Assassin emerged, the Aberrant hunters, the shining knights of the world of shadows that hunted down the dragons everyone was afraid of.

AWESOME. Consider this notion stolen.

Comment

Working...
                                X