[TC] OpNet vs real Internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [TC] OpNet vs real Internet

OpNet is 'fantastical' new 'network of networks', canonically from Aberrant era onward. ( It's mentioned in Anima and Aeon backstory. ) In Anima there is stated that in 2022 Project Utopia ( Aeon Society ally Novas / superhumans / ) start the project of replacing classical our modern Internet with OpNet. But what are real advantages of OpNet in the first place? How OpNet works?

Is it working like virtual holographic network from TV show Caprica from 2010, loading you all the senses inputs and sensations from the network? Immersing yourself completely in the events in OpNet? Or does it work differently?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

OpNet is just internet, but faster and wireless for everybody. It’s not even virtual reality, at least don’t need to be. It is like the Starlink, but free and needing no special antenna.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    House Rules - Quantum - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
    House Rules - Psi - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Æon
    Fists and Tomes - Inspired Martial Arts and Mysticism for Talents

Comment

It’s built around eufiber. Meaning in 2120, the OpNet still is based on nova core-tech...

Comment

Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
        It’s built around eufiber. Meaning in 2120, the OpNet still is based on nova core-tech...
        So in Aberrant era they changed normal, rather secure cables network - for bioorganic fiber controlled by Novas that DO NOT give anything better than normal Internet? 🤔 It does not have sense! 😮

Originally posted by White Wolf Wikia
        Eufiber, an organic polymer-esque substance was originally secreted from the epidermis of Costa Rican nova Anibál Buendia; a synthetic was later created from living colonies of the fibre.
        This material has many uses, including OpNet cables and clothing. But living eufiber is greatly prized by novas as the materials' genetic and quantum pattern conforms to that of the nova wearing it. This means that the eufiber can store a limited amount of quantum energy giving it durability and a natural defence for itself and it's wearer. Also, through this bonding eufiber clothing becomes immune to the nova's powers, making it extremely useful for many novas. It is possible, with careful attuning, for a nova to gain limited contol of a eufiber colony, allowing them to manipulate it as if it was part of their own body.
        https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Eufiber

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
        LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

So in Aberrant era they changed normal, rather secure cables network - for bioorganic fiber controlled by Novas that DO NOT give anything better than normal Internet? 🤔 It does not have sense! 😮
          Living eufiber can be controlled by a nova, they didn't build the Opnet out of living eufiber. The synthetic eufiber they build the Opnet out of has a basically infinite data transfer capacity with lossless quality.

If you want a system mechanic way to think about it, living eufiber is nova tech. Anibál Buendia has to personally create every inch of living eufiber, but it can do a ton of stuff. Synthetic eufiber is a core tech version just focused on data transfer, and not reliant on Anibál Buendia to create it.

Edit: Had 1E Aberrant stuck in my head.
          Last edited by literatzi; 09-10-2022, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I recall in the 1e Aberrant Players Guide a vampiric eufiber variant. That’s what got me convinced Buendia becomes the Colony.

Comment

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Eufiber
              You're quoting Aberrant 1E. In 2E it is a "complex carbon-silicate nanotube material", it isn't organic (unless you consider anything made of carbon, like coal or diamonds, to be organic) and it isn't extruded from their body. The benefit is that it is a relatively cheap room temperature superconductor, meaning it can convey electrical signals very quickly and efficiently. Eufiber outperforms fiber optic cable by a huge margin, much like fiber optic cable vastly outperforms copper cable. And since it is core tech, baseline humans are perfectly capably of producing tons of the stuff with no nova involvement.

Comment

Originally posted by literatzi View Post

Living eufiber can be controlled by a nova, they didn't build the Opnet out of living eufiber. The synthetic eufiber they build the Opnet out of has a basically infinite data transfer capacity with lossless quality.

If you want a system mechanic way to think about it, living eufiber is nova tech. Anibál Buendia has to personally create every inch of living eufiber, but it can do a ton of stuff. Synthetic eufiber is a core tech version just focused on data transfer, and not reliant on Anibál Buendia to create it.
                There’s no such thing as ‘living eufiber’ in TC: Aberrant. It’s all manufactured.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Okay, so... Main difference between real world Internet and OpNet is that Internet is based on fiber optics ( that have data limits, even with 5G technology coming in) - OpNet is based on Eufiber that has near limitless transfer rates? Like we would suddenly jump from 5G tech to 10G tech in transfer with Eufiber?

LGBT+ through Ages
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I'm just wondering if I can easily ax OpNet project in 2020s, as in my private Continuum variant we did not have (official) Aberrant era with Novas helping humanity - only we jump straight to Aberrant War in 2050s, with few 'Aberrants' showing in 2030s and 2040s.

Returning to topic - From info you show, I can easily just make Great OpNet building project as whole reconstructions in 2060s, after the Aberrant War - and I will not miss anything, lore and setting-wise. ( Beside positive involvement of Novas in 'new Internet' - but that's the point of my home Timeline.)
                    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-11-2022, 10:51 PM.

LGBT+ through Ages
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I'm just wondering if I can easily ax OpNet project in 2020s, as in my private Continuum variant we did not have (official) Abberant era with Novas helping humanity - only we jump straight to Aberrant War in 2050s, with few 'Aberrants' showing in 2030s and 2040s.
                      Instead of axing OpNet, just change its origin. TC:Aberrant introduced the process of converting Q-Tech into Nova-tech into Core-Tech; but that process can be translated over to the Super-Science rules found in the core book. The first thing to note is that Q-Tech is a type of Powered Super Science; Nova-Tech is a type of Inspired Super Science; and Core Tech is Advanced Super Science. But even in Aberrant, not everything has to start out as Q-Tech; an inventer could end up devising the specs for a Nova-Tech Device, which is always intended to be usable by anyone, even if only Novas can make it. And like I said, Nova-Tech is a type of Inspired Science; and Talents can also create Inspired Science.

So just make Eufiber be something that Talents invented. It started out as Inspired Science before getting refined to serve as Advanced Science before becoming so ubiquitous as to be regular science. Or it may have even started out as Advanced Science. Regardless, it can be reimagined as something that doesn't need Novas to exist.

Comment

Working...
                      X