This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by werlynn View Post
    First time seeing this post. Is the list on the first post up to date? I know things could have changed in over 5 years. I didn’t see everybody in the current credits in the books.
    Danielle covered a bunch of this so there's going to be some overlap.

Dev team:
    - Eddy Webb: In-house developer over Onyx Path projects. Essentially everything that isn't Storyteller-based.
    - Ian A. A. Watson (me): I'm what we're calling the Creative Lead. I'm the one with overall direction on the TC books, I have a general idea of where I want each game line to go, I keep track of continuity, and so on. I'm sort of the uber-setting guy.
    - Danielle Lauzon: Danielle is our Storypath expert. She sort of does what I do, but from a mechanical standpoint. If a TC core writer does mechanics for the best way to eat chocolate, and an Aeon author does a completely different set of mechanics for eating food in general, the first set of mechanics might be perfectly serviceable on their own, but the two systems need to work together. Noticing and figuring out the best way to resolve things falls under Danielle's umbrella.
    - John Snead: Oversees Aeon. Works with Eddy and I to determine the best implementation of the overall needs of the Continuum in Aeon specifically.
    - Steve Kenson: Lead Designer on Aberrant. As with John Snead, but for Aberrant.
    - A number of other names you'll see crop up who are developing individual projects, like Vera Vartanian on In Media Res.

Credits on both core rulebooks are in the credits page of the backer PDFs. Writer credits are pretty firm, but as the pieces are put together, some of the other entries might not be complete yet.

Originally posted by Robert D View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Trinity Continuum 1e and 2e! thank you for bringing 2e to all us fans . Question if I may: Will Trinity Adventure! be making an appearance after Aberrant is completed?
    We've been talking about Adventure!, but then we've been talking about it on and off since 2012. We've got plans, and we'd love to continue doing it, but I imagine we'll have a definitive yes/no announcement shortly after the Aberrant Kickstarter, much like Aberrant was confirmed a couple of weeks after the TC core/Aeon Kickstarter ended.

Ian A. A. Watson
    Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

I was hoping that this would be the week were would be announced the Aberrant Kickstarter, any hints of when it could start?

Comment

We tend not to plan much more than the next Kickstarter out. The next one is Contagion Chronicle.

Keep an eye out for further information.

Ian A. A. Watson

Comment

Strange question but it may be answerable:
          How tied are the mechanics of aberrant to the setting, mainly corruption. Could the "super powers" be used outside of aberrants setting and in another? Storypath is just a great game engine and I want to know how flexible it could be for other settings.

Find my Homebrew so far here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
          So far its Demon Merits, Vampire 1e to 2e ports and a Knowledge collection mechanic for the Ordo Dracul!

Comment

How do different kinds of Scale add together to determine opposition capabilities?

If a Biokinetic in a souped up Polar Bear form (Size 2, Speed 3) is trying block a Psychokinetic jetting away (Speed 6), do they get to oppose?

---------------------------------------------
            Supporter of Spirits getting full playable splat design come Exalted 3E.
            Refugee from the 3rd Great Edition Wars of D&D.
            oWoD Latecomer, Exalted Optimist, Scion ST, Trinity Curious

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, another question, if I recall correctly some years ago in a podcast interview talking about Aberrant was mentioned that baseline humans would use cybernetic augmentation to try to be like novas, is still the same or things have changed? If I am not mistaken there was the talk about a possible sourcebook detailing this among other things that would have made a cyberpunk fan happy. I think I have the interview still saved on my pc, I might relisten it just to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Yue Ryong View Post
                How do different kinds of Scale add together to determine opposition capabilities?

If a Biokinetic in a souped up Polar Bear form (Size 2, Speed 3) is trying block a Psychokinetic jetting away (Speed 6), do they get to oppose?
                If I’m reading your question correctly, differences in Scale don’t stop characters from interacting, but the one with higher Scale is going to have the advantage. In the example you’ve given with Speed Scale, if you’re talking about Dramatic Scale the psychokinetic will gain 6 Enhancement to relevant rolls due to the 3 step difference between Scale 3 and 6.

Writer. Developer. WoD | CofD | The Trinity Continuum 19 books and counting...

Comment

I think there's an implicit reference to the guidelines in the rules that at a 3+ Scale advantage, the SG is suggested to just give an automatic win to the higher Scale character in a direct opposition. So speed Scale 0 vs. speed Scale 3 (which is the same as 3 vs 6), is seen as the point where usually the super speedster there just gets to fly away for being way too fast to catch.

I feel like the question is whether the size Scale 2 impacts this to make it 5 v 6 instead. Maybe not the best example, but at least on the first turn, would the massive bear be allowed to use it's increased reach to help grab the speedy Psychokinetic before they get out of range? Or does speed vs. speed get the consideration?

Comment

That implicit reference is in the Combat & Scale section and refers to inflicting damage on things more than 3 Scale higher. The use of the term ‘encounter’ in the final sentence could be taken as applying to other forms of interaction as well*, but look at the heading it’s under.

So even if you choose to extrapolate that to this example**, Speed 3 vs Speed 6 is still within the ‘no more than 3 different’ frame.

* At 4+ Scale difference, the higherScale thing has +8 Enhancement at least, so the SG hand wave the result if she wanted.

** Not a given as this example doesn’t appear to be definitely combat, or about inflicting damage. And this white room scenario leaves too many questions. What are the circumstances and what does ‘block’ the psychokinetic mean? There’s a big difference between the two characters beginning stationary and the BK winning initiative and acting, to a wide open space where the PK is already at max speed and the BK is trying to catch and ‘block’ them.
                    Last edited by Bunyip; 03-21-2019, 04:08 PM.

Writer. Developer. WoD | CofD | The Trinity Continuum 19 books and counting...

Comment

Trying to get past the scenario, I think the fundamental question being asked is if Scale stacks in situations where you could make a case for comparing multiple aspects.

Maybe a different hypothetical:

Characters are racing to get across a canyon. One character as speed Scale 3, and another character has strength Scale 3, and the SG rules no scale applies as running down the side of the canyon and back up the other side with speed, vs. jumping it, is the same in this case.

Now we add a third character that has strength Scale 2, and speed Scale 1 when gliding. So they jump up and then glide across the canyon as a tactic.

So is it Scale 3, vs. Scale 3, vs. Scale 2, with only the highest of the 3rd character's Scale applying? Or is it Scale 3 all around?

Comment

Please be sure that you are posting only questions for the Trinity Continuum devs in this thread, and leave them the space to answer them. Thanks!

Comment

I was pondering a statement/question which I could not bring into focus until I read this. My initial reaction to Scale 1 (+2) vs Scale 2 (+4) = Scale 0 vs Scale 1 (+2), is do not adjust but stick with Scale 1 (+2) vs Scale 2 (+4).

Now here is why

All generic powers so don't read into it.

Super Blaster Psi Villian hurls a psycho kinetic blast wave (Scale 3) out medium range and caught in the blast are our Hero Sunshine slamming a telekinetic barrier up (Scale 1) giving some protection, he is fine, his tech sidekick "the mouse" is unconscious, his hover car is totaled, but the innocent bystanders (Scale 0) he could not save will haunt him forever.

The other hover cars scattered and in pieces, glasscrete building fronts smashed in sparking with the ghosts of now useless flickering holo ads.

The scene fades to black as our hero stands in a circle of calm compared to the carnage surrounding him. He vows his revenge.

My point is everything was hit with a Scale 3 power, I feel like doing any math to ease the transaction would complicate the relationship for others or lessen it for some. I would also not want to figure ok our hero was hit by scale 2 (3-1), bystanders hit by scale 3, and so on. One attack, many Defenses. Aside from exalted many dice this it did very well for mass effects, one attack many defenses.

Does what I am trying to convey make any sense?

Best regards
                          Last edited by Graylion; 03-21-2019, 06:55 PM.

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
                          Current Focus
                          Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
                          Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Starkiller View Post
                            Thanks for the quick reply, another question, if I recall correctly some years ago in a podcast interview talking about Aberrant was mentioned that baseline humans would use cybernetic augmentation to try to be like novas, is still the same or things have changed? If I am not mistaken there was the talk about a possible sourcebook detailing this among other things that would have made a cyberpunk fan happy. I think I have the interview still saved on my pc, I might relisten it just to be sure.
                            Deus Ex: Human Revolution: 2027
                            Aberrant: 2028
                            RoboCop (2014 film): 2028
                            Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: 2029

The timing is right for augmentation stories, especially if you're a cop in Detroit. The problem with most classic cyberpunk is that while cyber augmentation may be viable (and in fact already happens) in cases where people may be replacing a lost limb, it's very challenging conceptually for people to reach the tipping point where they're willing to sacrifice healthy tissue for cybernetic replacements to become the near-ubiquitous phenomenon it seems to be in those stories. Competition with novas might be the push people need.

I'm not guaranteeing anything, but it's something we're continuing to consider to see if it makes sense as part of the Aberrant setting.

Ian A. A. Watson

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Aberrant is one of my favorite setting adding some cyber augmentation flavor to it would be awesome. Playing cyber enhanced baselines against some novas is a fantastic story to play.

Comment

Working...
                              X