Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Unified Theory of Continuum Physics (Fan Theory)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Unified Theory of Continuum Physics (Fan Theory)

It's long been a ridiculous mental hobby of mine to take superhero physics ideas and try to push the boundaries of where they begin and end, unraveling them enough in my mind until they feel 'real'.

It's been suggested that Psions and Aberrants are, genetically similar, possibly identical, their evolution based upon the type of energy 'triggering' them (psi particles or quantum/taint). I've been thinking out how this evolved, including the Hammersmith explosion, human evolution, etc.

The MR Node and what it is:
    The MR node is a cluster of brain cells that allow a Nova to sense, interact with, and control Quantum. With the same genetics as Psions, it implies that Psions must use a similar cell or organ. Considering the idea that psions and aberrants are two sides of the same coin, the difference in both power and physical development seems strange until we look at what Quantum does in comparison to Psi particles.

Psi is subtle, paradimensional energy that is the most primal building blocks of the universe. The fundamental force uniting physics and other dimensions. The stable bricks of reality as we know it, it reinforces physics to ensure the universe does not unravel. Taking in mind that it directly opposes Quantum, this implies a certain level of 'otherness' to Quantum, something unnatural.

However, there is nothing truly unnatural in science, that seems to suggest that Quantum is an other dimensional energy that puts reality into a warpable, unstable state, capable of anything, operating on alternative physics. The more Quantum is channeled, the less stable reality becomes, allowing for all manner of wonders and terrors. The greatest strength Quantum has over Psi is the ability to generate matter, which leads into the evolutionary differences seen.

When exposed to enough Quantum, Nova development starts by creating replications of the sensory cells, multiplying their power and abilities past that of their Psion counterparts in an evolutionary leap. Exposure to a massive amount of Psi particles may trigger evolution, but cannot replicate cells in the same fashion, unable to generate matter.

Even considering these elements, the development of this genetic trait previous to the Hammersmith explosion seems unlikely, as the low level of concentrated Psi and Quantum would not lend themselves to developing and ability to manipulate it. However, a prior particle seems likely to have been present, leading to the precursor trait and it's eventual mutation/evolution.

Tachyons, Chronomorphs, and Daredevils:
    Tachyons are the missing piece of the puzzle, the subtle energy of time and motion. They're nearly impossible to detect, due to moving through time, while allowing a variety of equally subtle benefits. The ability to sense and interpret tachyon data from the past or future would allow a person to avoid mistakes, take the right risks, and generally be more likely to succeed at the tasks they've chosen while appearing normal, likely not knowing their 'superhuman' status themselves. In other words, Daredevils are low level Chronomorphs.

The only true Chronomorph exposed to enough tachyons is Mercer, which makes sense- he was point blank at the Hammersmith explosion. It's one of the few instances where a massive concentration of Chronatons could act to force evolution to the next level, while this same subtle sensor, acting throughout time, created the precursor evolutions for the mutation/evolution to Psi/Quantum sensitivity.

I've got some thoughts on how this might play out as far as powers, abilities, etc. interplay, but I'd like to know others opinions before posting more.

You may be interested in the Aberrant chapter of the Trinity ST Handbook that Stew Wilson wrote for me when we were both simply fans working on a fan project.

We'll be changing how things operate somewhat in the Trinity Continuum, but the above should at least give you a peek into the initial direction we took when we started on this merry journey over a decade ago.

Ian A. A. Watson
    Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

I found this all very informative! Thanks!

Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist. --Academician Prokhor Zakharov

Comment

Working...
      X