[Necro] 17 years of advancement in Aberrant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Necro] 17 years of advancement in Aberrant

So, while im sure this will be addressed somewhat in the new editions, until then, I was wondering how you guys deal with the fact that Aberrant is 17 years behind the times? While it requires a mega intelligent nova to make gadgets that recreate powers (and thats totally fine), how do you deal with the fact that since 1998, mankind has developed some technology that does the same but without mega intelligence. Example-Active Denial System. True, it's big, and heavy as crap...but it shoots microwaves into the top layers of your skin while in contact and makes you feel like you're on fire. I was trying to compare it to nova powers, and kinda thought it was a combo of disorient/strobe (touch). Heck, it's even been reduced in size (with only slight reduction in effectiveness) and marketed to police depts inder the name "silent guardian". This isnt a mega intel gadget...its just where we are now. Infra sonic emitters, while still in prototype or small test batches, was in I think 05, tested somewhat effectively, and has been tested on sea-faring vessels to repel pirates. Thats another strobe/disorient type with the added effect of loss of bowel control. What other modern day devices can you folks think of that 17 years ago, were considered "powers" and how do we adapt the setting to fit these things in.
    OOHH!-Just thought about how now our military has helmets with either monacle or binocular attachements that can provide with magnification, night vision, and even thermal...so...take that mega perception enhancements...

Originally posted by ManBearPig View Post
    SJust thought about how now our military has helmets with either monacle or binocular attachements that can provide with magnification, night vision, and even thermal...so...take that mega perception enhancements...
    These goggles were still around in 1999 when Aberrant was first published, so it's nothing new.

And remember, just because the military has them, doesn't mean they're available to the public. Or even if they are, doesn't mean they're affordable. A nova power that functioned exactly like shooting bullets out of a gun wouldn't be useless just because baselines have guns they can use. The nova bullets-from-my-fingers power still has the advantage because it's free, it's freely available even in areas where gun ownership is restricted like the UK, and it can't be disarmed or removed short of dismembering the nova (and even that's not guaranteed).

Ian A. A. Watson
    Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

True to all statements, but my point is, with the rules for gadgetering, toy have to have mega intelligence to make something that recreates a power, but with the advancement of technology as compared to when the books were originally done, there are probably dozens of things that are used all over the world. No, helmets with binoculars, thermal and night vision scopes arent on wal mart shelves for 49.95, but they see wide spread use in the miltaries of quite a few 1st world nations. For a less militarized example-google glass. It's 1500 bucks (unless you look at their french competitor selling similar items for 300) and with it you can look at someone and pull up everything they do or have done on social media...well...maybe not everything. Sounds almost like a weakened version of telepathy (surface thoughts, cause who ISNT thinking about what they should post on twitter or whatever) and a weakened postcognition, learning all sorts of info about the person by what they have said in the past along with family pics, vacation photos etc. My tossing out of the question was for the forumites was to think of tech that is now modern, or prototype known of and made by us normal folk that in 98 was nova tech, so that we can adjust our current games that run in a slightly dated (until the relaunch) system? The Aberrant game im currently in, im playing a Batman type who is really smart, but not super smart. He is currently being assisted financially to make non lethal weaponry to stop violent novas. According to the rules from 98, he cant make things like super bright high pitch screamer "scream balls" thay rule wise would equal a few dots of strobe that affect multiple senses (in this case, both sight and hearing). Now, my gm and I have been trying to work out how they work in game without actually being novatech, but I was fishing for others who have had the issue pop up, how they worked it, and maybe ideas for sruff I havent thought of yet.

Comment

Sorry for the big run on...I usually post from my phone, and it doesnt like to break for paragraphs.

Comment

Treating Facebook and Twitter posts as low level telepathy? What were you thinking? Though I guess that does show how sucky a power low level telepathy would be IRL.

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
          Posts in this color are moderator posts
          Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
          Forum Terms of Use
          the Contact Us link.

Comment

Lol, indeed...but not just fb and twitter. Instagram, your parents pages, your friends, your likes, interests, hobbies. With a little computer know how (hacking) you get credit history, purchasing history, where they live, what they drive, religious ideals, voting history etc. Tell me some of those arent surface thoughts on a lot of people in the day to day. Mostly, it seems like the lvl one powers are the easiest, or lvl 2's with low quantum requirements, but the tech equaling them is there now. LEO has (yes rare) carbon fiber arm guards that are also tasers. Knife "proof", stun attack, and gives bonus to punches with the knuckle guards (which hurt like a beast) which makes a lvl or 2 of weakened (or not) claws. Heck, while terribly low in each, thats still 3 powers that the rules say cant be made by a human. See what I mean? Smart phones replace whatever merit is used to have nwod's encyclopedic knowledge...you literally have near instant access to a massive library of info and knowledge of pop culture, history, emergency response radios, maps of cities, criminal profiles...if a web cam can be accessed, its rather close to esp.

Comment

You have just pointed out in parallel that a Nova with Cyberkinesis would be GOD in our tech-obsessed, fully connected world of today.

Comment

Guessing why wycliff...or wycloff...the nova who killed the internet in trinity...was able to actually kill the internet. Cause its FREAKIN EVERYWHERE! Lol.

Comment

That wasn't him. He exploded and irradiated a significant portion of North America's farmlands.

The guy that "killed the internet" did so by entering the OpNet and destroying a few server clusters and datacenters, half from insanity and half "for the lulz". Another nova named Synapse, who LIVED in the OpNet, fought him to stop him. Synapse won, but the crazy nova died in an EMP burst (or something similar), which fried most OpNet hardware.

Comment

I get a bit fuzzy on the names of the aberrants in trinity timeline (from war onward) so I gotcha now with interwebz killer. Im thinking ill just bring up with my gm that if a device today can recreate a power from back in the day, it just is expensive (high resource requirement), runs out of batteries quickly (since creating quantum point storage is still mega smart) or is bulky (limiting who can use it or requiring a min. strength, and dexreasing its h. lvls and soak more than the 1 from normal mega science?

Comment

But otherwise, recreates a say, crappier version (lower dots) of a power...maybe 1-2 max?

Comment

Well, i have tweaked things here and there while making an updated Aberrant for a future game - and one of the things i decided to change was to allow for the possibility of technological facsimiles of some "minor" powers (the level 1 or 2 powers with a Quantum 1 minimum basically) as technological innovations with no dependence on Mega-Intelligence or Qunatum whatsoever. Considering stuff like Red-7, Mite and synthetic Eufiber are already realities in the game, saw no problems with going that way, though i still have to test its effects in actual play. But soon...

Comment

Since my original posting and commenting on social media and your digital footprint being a "low level type of telapthy"...I have since seen Captain America: The Winter Soldier and what Zola did, and got into Person of Interest...which I absolutely love...and proves Darksol so damned right. Mastery of the interwebz=Premonition!

Comment

Originally posted by lustral_star View Post
                            That wasn't him. He exploded and irradiated a significant portion of North America's farmlands.

The guy that "killed the internet" did so by entering the OpNet and destroying a few server clusters and datacenters, half from insanity and half "for the lulz". Another nova named Synapse, who LIVED in the OpNet, fought him to stop him. Synapse won, but the crazy nova died in an EMP burst (or something similar), which fried most OpNet hardware.
                            Mungu Kuwasha, frontnerd for Viasoft, was the Nova that annihilated the OpNet, for the record.

Comment

Working...
                            X