No announcement yet.

When will the new Aberrant game be set?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will the new Aberrant game be set?

When will the new Aberrant game be set? The original Aberrant was published in 1999 and set in the near future of 2008, will the new Aberrant be published in 2014 and set in the near future of 2023? Or set in the near past of 2008? Or something else?

I vaguely remember a comment recently somewhere by....I _think_ Ian....saying that Ab was approached before as being set "the day after tomorrow" which just happened to be mid 2000's at the time due to when the book was published. So, perhaps mid 2020s this time around if the approach stays the same. Doesn't mean an Aberrant War would necessarily take place in the same years as before, no reason that couldn't get bumped either.

No indication if this approach is still the case of course, they're pretty early on in the process of the reboot.
    Last edited by CHILL; 12-12-2013, 06:48 PM.

Ad Astra

Comment

I'd definitely be inclined to just do a full rewrite with N-Day moved up to 2008 (perhaps corresponding to the LHC's activation? And then the global economic downturn that did really happen could be tied to/exacerbated-by Nova-panic) or so - and then put the setting "present" in 2020.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I think having N-Day be in the present or past might conflict with the Action setting to be featured in the core book: set in the present, with Talents all over the place. I’m expecting N-Day to be revealed as happening about a decade from now, with the main Aberrant setting being set another five years or so after that. So somewhere around 2030.

Comment

I for one hope they don't change when Aberrant is set. Moving Aberrant will necessitate moving Trinity further into the future, and both will expand the gap in time between Adventure! and the other two. I like the lines when they are. If the core is set in the modern time, just let it coincide with Aberrant. I always thought the extreme Nova centrism of the Aberrant setting was hard to swallow. Example: the All Nova Olympics; if you look a the numbers in the books most nations wouldn't be able to field olympic teams. Just my two cents.

-Slag

Comment

Given that there's over a century between 2008 and 2120, I don't see why moving Aberrant forward would necessitate moving Æon forward. Not unless the timeline of events was exactly the same as the original edition, which it won't be.

Ian A. A. Watson
            Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

You heard it here first, folks "Trinity Continuum: Aberrant 2119".

Ad Astra

Comment

Originally posted by Slagheap View Post
                I for one hope they don't change when Aberrant is set. Moving Aberrant will necessitate moving Trinity further into the future, and both will expand the gap in time between Adventure! and the other two. I like the lines when they are. If the core is set in the modern time, just let it coincide with Aberrant. I always thought the extreme Nova centrism of the Aberrant setting was hard to swallow. Example: the All Nova Olympics; if you look a the numbers in the books most nations wouldn't be able to field olympic teams. Just my two cents.

-Slag

Adventure is already a historic setting, and there would be nothing wrong with putting the core as a near historic "day before yesterday" setting and have Aberrant more or less current. The core actually makes more stylistic sense in the late cold war era anyway. On the other hand the core would probably be a natural for the current crop of almost-superhero style shows like "Arrow", "Kick-Ass", and "Marvel: Agents of Shield" just as much as it would the bumper crop of super-agent stuff of the 70's and 80's.

A lot of the super soldier serums, mysteriously working bionics that only work on one person or when done by one person, and strange energy infusions from the super-agent genre could be due to use of components that are contaminated with Telluric energy of one form or another either from earlier stuff done by the original Adventure! era people or possibly by new energy experiments vaguely similar to Hammersmith's but not quite right or any combination of it for instance. It is not too far fetched that talent level powers would be virtually invisible against the backdrop of full fledged Novas as long as no one deliberately dragged it into the public eye (and even then it would probably be dismissed as some kind of Nova wannabe using booster drugs or simply someone who "didn't quite make it" to Nova).

Pushing Aberrant too far forward not only causes timing issues with AeonTrinity, it would be more likely to loose the contemporary "comic superhero" feel entirely and drift into a kind of high-end sci-fi transhuman feel instead; it was very close to that to begin with and had more of a superhero novel feel (like "Nobody Gets the Girl" and others) or an off-mainline limited edition/graphic novel style comic like "Watchmen" instead of the Marvel and DC mainlines already.

Also it really needs about a decade between G-Day and the tip-over into down-slide point like the original had to keep it from seeming too rushed; it would take at least five years for the fad "shiny" to wear off and active counterculture to set in and probably another five for the beginnings of apathy and taking it all for granted to start filtering in to get to the "commodity" Nova level that was hovering in the wings of the original setting. Of course if it is too long before the tip-over point society would be too dependent on the Novas to fight back effectively in the war, or for that matter it might even have stabilized enough that the war would not be the all out thing it was.

Is the 2119 the game release date, the G-Day date or the "current" date for the game?

Comment

Originally posted by BC001 View Post
                  Adventure is already a historic setting, and there would be nothing wrong with putting the core as a near historic "day before yesterday" setting and have Aberrant more or less current. The core actually makes more stylistic sense in the late cold war era anyway. On the other hand the core would probably be a natural for the current crop of almost-superhero style shows like "Arrow", "Kick-Ass", and "Marvel: Agents of Shield" just as much as it would the bumper crop of super-agent stuff of the 70's and 80's.
                  I don’t envision the core book’s setting as being “almost-superhero”; rather, I picture it as being “action movies”. Rambo, Die Hard, James Bond, the Fast and Furious, Ocean’s Eleven, and so on.

A lot of the super soldier serums, mysteriously working bionics that only work on one person or when done by one person, and strange energy infusions from the super-agent genre could be due to use of components that are contaminated with Telluric energy of one form or another either from earlier stuff done by the original Adventure! era people or possibly by new energy experiments vaguely similar to Hammersmith's but not quite right or any combination of it for instance.
                  I certainly hope that superscience will make an appearance in the core book; but I’m hoping that the focus there will be primarily on what Adventure! called Advancements: that is, not so much death rays and mechanical telepathy as impossibly robust, lightweight, fuel-efficient, and/or otherwise potent versions of real-world technologies.

It is not too far fetched that talent level powers would be virtually invisible against the backdrop of full fledged Novas as long as no one deliberately dragged it into the public eye (and even then it would probably be dismissed as some kind of Nova wannabe using booster drugs or simply someone who "didn't quite make it" to Nova).
                  You’re right about the effective invisibility of Talents in the Aberrant setting — though I wouldn’t phrase it as “Talent-level powers”, as I’m holding out hope that Talents won’t have powers: they’ll have, well, talents.

Pushing Aberrant too far forward not only causes timing issues with AeonTrinity, it would be more likely to loose the contemporary "comic superhero" feel entirely and drift into a kind of high-end sci-fi transhuman feel instead; it was very close to that to begin with and had more of a superhero novel feel (like "Nobody Gets the Girl" and others) or an off-mainline limited edition/graphic novel style comic like "Watchmen" instead of the Marvel and DC mainlines already.
                  I don’t think putting it “the day after tomorrow” will do this; it didn’t do it back when Aberrant was first published and 2008 was the “day after tomorrow”.

Also it really needs about a decade between G-Day and the tip-over into down-slide point like the original had to keep it from seeming too rushed; it would take at least five years for the fad "shiny" to wear off and active counterculture to set in and probably another five for the beginnings of apathy and taking it all for granted to start filtering in to get to the "commodity" Nova level that was hovering in the wings of the original setting. Of course if it is too long before the tip-over point society would be too dependent on the Novas to fight back effectively in the war, or for that matter it might even have stabilized enough that the war would not be the all out thing it was.

Is the 2119 the game release date, the G-Day date or the "current" date for the game?
                  This, I agree with: 2119 is too far ahead. I suspect that the poster who said that was saying it in jest. I’d want the current date for the game to be roughly thirty years from now: fifteen or twenty years to give the core book’s setting some room to breathe before the Novas start crawling out of the woodworks, and ten or fifteen years for the situation to reach the point featured in Trinity Continuum: Aberrant.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                    You’re right about the effective invisibility of Talents in the Aberrant setting — though I wouldn’t phrase it as “Talent-level powers”, as I’m holding out hope that Talents won’t have powers: they’ll have, well, talents.
                    They're as invisible as you want to make them. I should note that heroes like Hawkeye and Black Widow may count as Talents, but they were still considered valuable members of the Avengers.

Ian A. A. Watson
                    Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

This, I agree with: 2119 is too far ahead. I suspect that the poster who said that was saying it in jest..
                      I find it hard to believe that it could've been taken seriously

Joking aside, I don't see any reason the timeline shouldn't be modified. Makes perfect sense really, gives the new team an opportunity to address items that were not as smooth as they could've been before, and they can inject their own take on the timeline - especially given Ian's already mentioned planning multiple settings so moving things about / changing particulars would make sense.

Ad Astra

Comment

I did phrase that rather awkwardly. By “powers” I was including low end superscience gear (Batman, Bond, etc.), martial arts possibly as high as wirework (Charlies Angels and most MA flicks), and gun katas/gun-fu and whatnot like Hit-Girl and Black Widow use among others, and the fact that they are usually almost impossibly fit along with literal talents. I know some of that is probably actually Adventure! character stuff but since I have not read the Adventure! books (I have run Aberrant and Aeon Trinity games but not Adventure!) I am kind of fuzzy on where the Adventure!/Core divisions would be.

This, I agree with: 2119 is too far ahead. I suspect that the poster who said that was saying it in jest. I’d want the current date for the game to be roughly thirty years from now: fifteen or twenty years to give the core book’s setting some room to breathe before the Novas start crawling out of the woodworks, and ten or fifteen years for the situation to reach the point featured in Trinity Continuum: Aberrant.
                        There does not need to be much breathing room for the core setting really; a few years (like five or less) would be more than sufficient for most of the groups I know about since once a campaign goes active it is very common to compress time considerably in an intricate scenario. Usually a single adventure “episode” would take several sessions to complete and would only be a few days in game world time for instance, and I have rarely seen campaigns go “fast forward” except for things like a Vampire genre (and those usually do long leaps with actual play in the compressed time format anyway). Usually the between episode downtime is not more than a week or so and often only a few days (unless realistic healing time is used but seems to be extremely rare from what I have seen).

The main need for breathing room for action hero stuff is in the scene setting; the organizations and characters need a past for it to work and in the past direction there is considerable room between core and Adventure!.

Either way the “Lost in Space” effect would happen eventually unless G-Day is set well into the future just like with the original 2008 “current” timeframe getting overrun by real world time; it is inevitable with good things set in the very near future. Since core and Aberrant are by necessity smack up against each other and competing for “now” timewise floating G-day might not be a bad idea as long as both the core metaplot and the Aberrant metaplot descriptions make the relationship clear.

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

They're as invisible as you want to make them. I should note that heroes like Hawkeye and Black Widow may count as Talents, but they were still considered valuable members of the Avengers.
                          True, though in the public view they could be easily passed off as very skilled people with enhancement drugs or whatever or very low level Novas with just a little of the right spin if someone wanted to keep Talents and other non-Novas low key.

Comment

So long as the plan is not to push Aeon further future, shifting Aberrant back a bit doesn't concern me. I always thought it took too long for the war to happen anyway. And I second Ian on talents in Aberrant. I've run Daredevils in Aberrant, they have to be smart and there are some fights they need to run from without superscience on their side, but they work surprisingly well pre-Q5.

-Slag

Comment

So, are there any updates on this?

Comment

Working...
                              X