Thought for a campaign setting.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought for a campaign setting.

This is a thread about a campaign I hope to get started in Feb. 2014. The point of the thread is that I'm inviting feedback, critiques, ideas, ect.

The basic backstory is that durring the Nova wars of the mid-21st century a taint ridden Nova, desperate to save his friends, family, and hometown, sends a small US city and a group of low taint Novas into a warp. One of the Novas is able to, at the cost of their life, bring the whole group to safety.

That was 200 years ago planet time, but they have no idea or were or when they are. They are on a terraformed world with a very high proportion of Novas, Talents, ect.

More as I get inspiration.

Based on what I've heard so far, I'd play the shit out of this game.

Duly Elected Guild Hierarch of the Onyx Path Forums

http://northernfoxgames.com/

Comment

My thoughts keep going.
      If someone playing a Nova wants to play a second generation Nova with a Node Brain They would pay for a ten point Merit, but they would have greatly reduced problems from Taint.

The Town that was sent through the Warp was a college town in the San Francisco Bay area. The town had a habour used by a fishing fleet and a marine construction/boat building company. Some farmlands were sent through as well. The town would be multi-racial, even by Bay Area standards. This would give the locals multiple edges on survival.

I'll build Talents on a base of Adventure! Daredevils, but they would have more transformation points. Could anyone suggest a number? I', leaning toward 30 transformation points.

Thakks for the compliment "The Revenge of the TV Head."

Comment

I am only familiar with Aberrant and Trinity but...won't the Novas hands down be way more powerful than everyone else?

Comment

Individually, yes. As isolated individuals they are more powerful. Talents and Psions make far better team players and their vastly less individualistic powers make it easier for them to train each other and build defenses as well as attacks. Novas can't get the same kind of force multipliers as the other types, including those wise enough to know their value.

Comment

I assume that one Nova might had gotten to this planet first, sent by the same Nova who ended up killing herself to save eveyone else. The Nova who got to the planet first terraformed it at the cost of his sanity. He is sometimes seen in the wilderness looking like a beautiful teenage boy except that he has antlers and his legs below the knee are those of a deer. He wanders the planet nude and never makes or allows human contact. He is seen as a wild card.

Comment

There are several hydro electric dams, and several other power generation systems. There is aggitation to set up fusion and other types of power systems for rapid ecconomic expanion.

Comment

I never got this campaign going. However I'm dusting off the notes to try again.

So let me ask a question. Are most of the humans in one basic area? Or did they spread to several centers across the planet?

After two centuries, starting from a base of a few tens of thousands, what would the population be?

Comment

Hi, Astromancer.
                  Assuming a flat 1% growth rate per annum, the population would have increased to 30,000 for every ten thousand it began with. Depending upon prevailing sentiments and historical detail, the population could have completely abandoned the original ark-city to ruins - particularly if they jimmy up a fusion reactor there. Even running off fusion power, agriculture needs a lot more land than is commonly available within city limits. If the population in question had sufficient natural know-how (not book-learning, but real experience) and rational leadership it could be an exciting couple of centuries. But, it seems more likely that an urbanized area would fall into chaos and desperation, lacking in the life-skills required to completely adapt to working the land for subsistence. I can't imagine the city had many combine harvesters or dairy processing facilities right next to their 'aggitation' for fusion power (solar is much better for their cause).
                  I would imagine in the isolation that there would have to be some kind of political imperative for settlers to travel too far beyond the community in great numbers, but a system of outposts could easily go global with the initial fossil fuel (almost depleted by 2249-2261) reserves likely contained in the ark-city. An equatorial launch facility and sprawling rural development could be the upwards limits of their expansion. The risk of population collapse is very real for this world, their diverse genetic population is helpful - but plague, famine and disaster could ravage the population into inviability without constant vigilance by scientists, farmers and leaders. They have no way to bring in more settlers and cloning/automation/breeding/slavery technologies could be used to bolster productivity and sustainablity. Working backwards, it appears the last time Earth was so sparsely populated was about twelve thousand years ago - at the end of the last ice age.

But, i may be having some difficulty following you here, is this correct?
                  - Nova #A renders a decent size chunk of San Fransisco lost in space.
                  - One of the Novas (Nova #B) caught in the effect sacrifices themselves to get the city where? On a previously undetailed planet? Where did Nova #A send those they tried to save? Deep space? An inhospitable world? How long did the city spend in this lay-over and how did they manage during that period? Because some history there would go a long way to fencing in the numerous possibilities.
                  - Nova #B had also sent through a green-thumb terraformer (low-taint, single-handed, planetary terra-forming? Antaeus eat your heart out - this is Nova #C) to prepare this 'unknown' planet. How much time did Nova #C have to prepare the planet? Is the settled planet definitely not local? Is it at least in the Milky Way? How did Nova #C accomplish their feat, just for an idea of the biosphere created?
                  - Two centuries pass, to 2249-2261 by earth year. How many of these years have been spent on their new planet (lets just say Earth #2, unless you have a name for the place)? How has that history changed the populace? Why, Noetically speaking, is Earth #2 subject to such high inspiration rates in your mind?
                  Last edited by Nihilist; 05-31-2015, 12:09 AM. Reason: fact-checking

Comment

I answered your questions fully and intellegently but the boards refused to let me post. I'll try again when I've stopped screaming.

Comment

The board was to blame for this nefarious delay?
                      -shakes fist at board-

Comment

I'll do my best to answer you fully.

Originally posted by Nihilist View Post
                        Hi, Astromancer.
                        Assuming a flat 1% growth rate per annum, the population would have increased to 30,000 for every ten thousand it began with. Depending upon prevailing sentiments and historical detail, the population could have completely abandoned the original ark-city to ruins - particularly if they jimmy up a fusion reactor there. Even running off fusion power, agriculture needs a lot more land than is commonly available within city limits. If the population in question had sufficient natural know-how (not book-learning, but real experience) and rational leadership it could be an exciting couple of centuries. But, it seems more likely that an urbanized area would fall into chaos and desperation, lacking in the life-skills required to completely adapt to working the land for subsistence. I can't imagine the city had many combine harvesters or dairy processing facilities right next to their 'aggitation' for fusion power (solar is much better for their cause).
                        The chunk of the Bay Area taken had about half a million people in it. So the population is about one point five million. Many people's homes and businesses were pulled along into the warp.

Some of the remaining sane Novas rigged a group of helexical generators (and underwater windmill, it's a realworld thing) in the river near where the cities were put down. The cities are on a plateau near where a large river meets the sea. The area has a West coast Marine climate much like the Bay Area's. There are rich lands near by easily made into productive farms.

A school of Argriculture was brought along, as well as several other small colleges. The wide variety of seeds in the greenhouses covered most of the world's argricultural plants.

Solar, wind, and hydro, are the dominant forms of power. Bio-feuls for engines and fusion are also around.

I would imagine in the isolation that there would have to be some kind of political imperative for settlers to travel too far beyond the community in great numbers, but a system of outposts could easily go global with the initial fossil fuel (almost depleted by 2249-2261) reserves likely contained in the ark-city
                        Bio-fuels were big in the Bay Area when the cities got put into the warp.

. An equatorial launch facility and sprawling rural development could be the upwards limits of their expansion.
                        They have built a small launch site for weather satillites. It's on a high mountain near the planet's equator.

The risk of population collapse is very real for this world, their diverse genetic population is helpful - but plague, famine and disaster could ravage the population into inviability without constant vigilance by scientists, farmers and leaders. They have no way to bring in more settlers and cloning/automation/breeding/slavery technologies could be used to bolster productivity and sustainablity. Working backwards, it appears the last time Earth was so sparsely populated was about twelve thousand years ago - at the end of the last ice age.
                        They are careful about disease and food supplies. Education is stressed, as a matter of survival.

But, i may be having some difficulty following you here, is this correct?
                        - Nova #A renders a decent size chunk of San Fransisco lost in space.
                        The Bay Area, not san Fran propper. Still artistic license, move what you want into the taken lands.

- One of the Novas (Nova #B) caught in the effect sacrifices themselves to get the city where? On a previously undetailed planet?
                        No one really knows where they've landed. Names like "New Acadia" and "Earth II" are floated for the planet. Nova B may have known where he was, but he died before hee could comunicate the facts to anyone. Nova A announced that this was a rescue to save what he could from destruction. No one knows what or who happened to the Earth.

Where did Nova #A send those they tried to save? Deep space? An inhospitable world?
                        Into a Warp, where he thought he'd send it from there, no one knows.

How long did the city spend in this lay-over and how did they manage during that period? Because some history there would go a long way to fencing in the numerous possibilities.
                        Time seems to have had a limted exsistance inside the Warp. No one can figure out how long the trip took. Also, no one can know if they time traveled.

- Nova #B had also sent through a green-thumb terraformer (low-taint, single-handed, planetary terra-forming? Antaeus eat your heart out - this is Nova #C) to prepare this 'unknown' planet. How much time did Nova #C have to prepare the planet? Is the settled planet definitely not local? Is it at least in the Milky Way? How did Nova #C accomplish their feat, just for an idea of the biosphere created?
                        When and how Nova C errupted isn't known. How long Nova C reworked/terraformed the planet isn't known. Nova C appears to be a beautiful (many level of Mega-Apperence teen-age boy (late teens). He has, or appears to have Antlers, hoofs, and a deer's tail. He has seduced several teenages boys of around 17 to 19 years of age. The experience almost always leads to developing some sort of powers, Psion, Nova, or Talent.

It's only assumed that Nova C terraformed the planet, because their are no other canidates. Note: Nova C, other than his seductions, doesn't seek human contact. He seems to seduce his lovers without words. But Mega-Appearence can get teen boys to cooperate fairly easily.

- Two centuries pass, to 2249-2261 by earth year. How many of these years have been spent on their new planet (lets just say Earth #2, unless you have a name for the place)? How has that history changed the populace? Why, Noetically speaking, is Earth #2 subject to such high inspiration rates in your mind?
                        It's assumed that exposure to the Warp changed the population's genes.

More later. Do ask questions.
                        Last edited by Astromancer; 06-03-2015, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Hi Astro, apologies for the delay. Network issues on my end. -blush-

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
                          I'll do my best to answer you fully.

The chunk of the Bay Area taken had about half a million people in it. So the population is about one point five million. Many people's homes and businesses were pulled along into the warp.

Some of the remaining sane Novas rigged a group of helexical generators (and underwater windmill, it's a realworld thing) in the river near where the cities were put down. The cities are on a plateau near where a large river meets the sea. The area has a West coast Marine climate much like the Bay Area's.
                          So, just based on this, the planet is likely earth sized with a similar level of atmousphere and maybe less water (sea as opposed to ocean) - that means it can't be too close to earth or we would be hungry to track this world down given advanced astronomy techniques and population pressures. Water settlements want to pull as much food out of the water as they can - if the terraforming done by Nova #C is complete enough to include a self-sustaining biosphere above and below the waves then that should be made into a plot point - the novas of Eden have had decades to simulate the complexity of earth's bio-diversity and failed to produce anything close to seeming natural. The noetic interference of taint suggests it's not in the reach of pure quantum to create a healthy balanced ecology for noetically active beings, like humans.
                          Not to say it can't or shouldn't be done, just that the noetics in Trinity suggest it shouldn't be possible on the subquantum level.

There are rich lands near by easily made into productive farms.

A school of Argriculture was brought along, as well as several other small colleges. The wide variety of seeds in the greenhouses covered most of the world's argricultural plants.

Solar, wind, and hydro, are the dominant forms of power. Bio-feuls for engines and fusion are also around.
                          Okay, an agricultural college would go a long way, but still only represents a tiny fraction of the population. A nearby military base could preclude the college from ever gathering the required support for agrarian conversion (imagine the culture-shock alone - Pol Pot was the last person who tried this, but for all the wrong reasons), there may be minorities who become overnight majorities and get drawn into the struggle for direction in the earliest days after the incident (i'm thinking the Hispanic cultures, but i'm not looking at numbers, just assuming). The Agro-college will be a valuable resource, but likely lacks the political clout to take charge, despite the obvious benefits. Half a million people are likely to need force involved to persuade them to do what's required for them to all eat - if that force is smart they will include the college faculty in their action.
                          Leadership might come from Novas early on, but if it doesn't settle in the hands of capable humans within a generation or two then almost all will be disenfranchised if a steady source of new eruptions can replenish and sustain the nova elite indefinitely.

Bio-fuels were big in the Bay Area when the cities got put into the warp.
                          Bio-fuel requires a lot of land for the bio-mass required, land much better used for farming to start with. But if they have the infrastructure to refine and manufacture their own bio-fuel, that will come in handy a few generations in and open up the world for less restricted motor travel.

They have built a small launch site for weather satillites. It's on a high mountain near the planet's equator.
                          Naturally, i can't see Californians doing well without their tech for too long. -tease- But, i may be conflating urban California with rural California - having never visited.
                          Any reason why they went to the trouble of lugging the components up a mountain? We tend to build launch facilities upon flat terrain here on earth.

They are careful about disease and food supplies. Education is stressed, as a matter of survival.
                          How did they get this way, though?
                          Did they just wake up out of the warp-time and universally decide to cut back on excess, rebuild their infrastructure and work together for their survival? Some lines of communication can still work if we just include everything that we could find convenient, so if the lines didn't get glutted with overuse in those early few days a powered broadcaster might be able to send out widely distributed messages. So in this confusion i strongly doubt that this self-sustaining farming culture could take root in time to avoid at least some hardship.
                          Understanding that voyage from post-apocalyptic panic to hard-working agriculture and education will shed a lot of light on hidden undercurrents and motives in the present.

The Bay Area, not san Fran propper. Still artistic license, move what you want into the taken lands.
                          The bay is a big area, i may be getting my tropes crossed here and there then, do let me know when i do - i'm working solely from what i've read and imagination. I'm hesitant to just move anything i want in there - as i see it, the story of what is missing is more interesting that what they got to keep. The technology and science development fascinates me, but i know that the human story is where the most common ground is found between groups and players. A number of resources they DON'T have would be a good cheat sheet for anticipating their development on the new world.

No one really knows where they've landed. Names like "New Acadia" and "Earth II" are floated for the planet. Nova B may have known where he was, but he died before hee could comunicate the facts to anyone. Nova A announced that this was a rescue to save what he could from destruction. No one knows what or who happened to the Earth.

Into a Warp, where he thought he'd send it from there, no one knows.
                          So, what are your gut feelings concerning these two pivotal historical figures? Were their actions noble, selfish, clever, stupid, alien, sympathetic? Alternately or also; how are they remembered by the population - and therefore by recorded history? It's all very dry right now, not much to hook into on that front (e.g. we are referring to them by letters).

Time seems to have had a limted exsistance inside the Warp. No one can figure out how long the trip took. Also, no one can know if they time traveled.
                          While that sounds like some fun sci-fi, it's probably not something that needs details at first - we'll put it further down the way like searching for earth for now, but keep it in mind. We do have some decent plotting of the stars and i'm assuming that nothing they can see is familiar enough to figure where they are, but some comparitive x-ray telescopy at the galactic core (i assume they have one there), or extra-galactic observations (where is Andromeda?) could shed some light on whether they were at least still in the Milky Way. Radiometric dating can determine whether astronomic/geologic time scales have passed - assuming Nova C's terraforming hasn't mucked with universal constants too badly.

When and how Nova C errupted isn't known. How long Nova C reworked/terraformed the planet isn't known. Nova C appears to be a beautiful (many level of Mega-Apperence teen-age boy (late teens). He has, or appears to have Antlers, hoofs, and a deer's tail. He has seduced several teenages boys of around 17 to 19 years of age. The experience almost always leads to developing some sort of powers, Psion, Nova, or Talent.

It's only assumed that Nova C terraformed the planet, because their are no other canidates. Note: Nova C, other than his seductions, doesn't seek human contact. He seems to seduce his lovers without words. But Mega-Appearence can get teen boys to cooperate fairly easily.
                          Can we at least ascertain the bit about Nova B sending him early to the world? You seem to have an image and maybe a character in mind here, but i'm not going to do the work for you, i'm just asking questions that you may or may not have considered yourself. The allusions to mythological Pan are clear as day - whether this is a kind of incipient India Syndrome (Nova C has the added advantage of actually having a direct hand in the planet's development), or garden variety taint isn't clear either.
                          Can we assume he is rapey? Or are the mudane human boys totally not being lured in by his node?

It's assumed that exposure to the Warp changed the population's genes.

More later. Do ask questions.
                          I might have gone with something like; the warp-space created an echo chamber effect for however long they were stuck in the warp, exposing their noetic templates to exceptionally high levels of N-day waves.
                          But, there are many roads to Rome. -shrug-

Apologies again for the delay, i hope i haven't lost your interest in the interim.

Edit: It just occured to me that the two hundred year history could be played out as a prelude shared between a group, letting the PCs themselves guide the development. Generous helpings of time-skip and a series of historical scenes tying previous generations of the PC's family could help to create the sense of continuity and community you are targeting.
                          Last edited by Nihilist; 06-14-2015, 05:56 AM. Reason: Explained in body text

Comment

Originally posted by Nihilist View Post
                            So, just based on this, the planet is likely earth sized with a similar level of atmousphere and maybe less water (sea as opposed to ocean) - that means it can't be too close to earth or we would be hungry to track this world down given advanced astronomy techniques and population pressures. Water settlements want to pull as much food out of the water as they can - if the terraforming done by Nova #C is complete enough to include a self-sustaining biosphere above and below the waves then that should be made into a plot point - the novas of Eden have had decades to simulate the complexity of earth's bio-diversity and failed to produce anything close to seeming natural. The noetic interference of taint suggests it's not in the reach of pure quantum to create a healthy balanced ecology for noetically active beings, like humans.
                            Not to say it can't or shouldn't be done, just that the noetics in Trinity suggest it shouldn't be possible on the subquantum level.
                            The land/water ratio is very Earthlike, and there is a slightly higher percentage of water surface than on Earth. And more of the land mass is in islands. How Nova #C did what he did, or if he did it alone is unknown.

Okay, an agricultural college would go a long way, but still only represents a tiny fraction of the population. A nearby military base could preclude the college from ever gathering the required support for agrarian conversion (imagine the culture-shock alone - Pol Pot was the last person who tried this, but for all the wrong reasons), there may be minorities who become overnight majorities and get drawn into the struggle for direction in the earliest days after the incident (i'm thinking the Hispanic cultures, but i'm not looking at numbers, just assuming). The Agro-college will be a valuable resource, but likely lacks the political clout to take charge, despite the obvious benefits. Half a million people are likely to need force involved to persuade them to do what's required for them to all eat - if that force is smart they will include the college faculty in their action.
                            Leadership might come from Novas early on, but if it doesn't settle in the hands of capable humans within a generation or two then almost all will be disenfranchised if a steady source of new eruptions can replenish and sustain the nova elite indefinitely.
                            A low taint Mega Charisma, Mega Manipulation, Mega Intelligence, Mega Wits, Nova took the lead. She managed to get people to work together and think it was their idea.

Bio-fuel requires a lot of land for the bio-mass required, land much better used for farming to start with. But if they have the infrastructure to refine and manufacture their own bio-fuel, that will come in handy a few generations in and open up the world for less restricted motor travel.
                            Bio-engineering is somewhat dealing with the limits, but it's a problem of course. But as you say, they've lots of land.

Naturally, i can't see Californians doing well without their tech for too long. -tease- But, i may be conflating urban California with rural California - having never visited.
                            Any reason why they went to the trouble of lugging the components up a mountain? We tend to build launch facilities upon flat terrain here on earth.
                            The mountain was very high and its placement a bonus to launching rockets et al.

How did they get this way, though?
                            Did they just wake up out of the warp-time and universally decide to cut back on excess, rebuild their infrastructure and work together for their survival? Some lines of communication can still work if we just include everything that we could find convenient, so if the lines didn't get glutted with overuse in those early few days a powered broadcaster might be able to send out widely distributed messages. So in this confusion i strongly doubt that this self-sustaining farming culture could take root in time to avoid at least some hardship.
                            Understanding that voyage from post-apocalyptic panic to hard-working agriculture and education will shed a lot of light on hidden undercurrents and motives in the present.
                            The terrified panic made the populace easy for The Professor! Alice Whitby (the Mega Charisma, Mega Manipulation, Mega Wits, and Mega Intelligence Nova, mentioned above) to bring the people together.

The bay is a big area, i may be getting my tropes crossed here and there then, do let me know when i do - i'm working solely from what i've read and imagination. I'm hesitant to just move anything i want in there - as i see it, the story of what is missing is more interesting that what they got to keep. The technology and science development fascinates me, but i know that the human story is where the most common ground is found between groups and players. A number of resources they DON'T have would be a good cheat sheet for anticipating their development on the new world.
                            Good point.

So, what are your gut feelings concerning these two pivotal historical figures? Were their actions noble, selfish, clever, stupid, alien, sympathetic? Alternately or also; how are they remembered by the population - and therefore by recorded history? It's all very dry right now, not much to hook into on that front (e.g. we are referring to them by letters).
                            Nova #A seems to have been a decent young man who was overwhelmed both by becoming a Nova and the oncoming crisis. He fell apart.

Nova #B was a mercenary in her former life. Some folks say she was trying to create a kingdom of her own and manipulated the other Novas to her sinister whims. Others say she was looking for redemption of some kind for past crimes.

Nova #C and his hypothetical helpers are mysteries. Many people think Nova #C may have been a small child or even an infant forced into eruption to do the terraforming work. But it's all speculation.

While that sounds like some fun sci-fi, it's probably not something that needs details at first - we'll put it further down the way like searching for earth for now, but keep it in mind. We do have some decent plotting of the stars and i'm assuming that nothing they can see is familiar enough to figure where they are, but some comparitive x-ray telescopy at the galactic core (i assume they have one there), or extra-galactic observations (where is Andromeda?) could shed some light on whether they were at least still in the Milky Way. Radiometric dating can determine whether astronomic/geologic time scales have passed - assuming Nova C's terraforming hasn't mucked with universal constants too badly.
                            They are trying to regrow their scientific knowledge to make this sort of thing viable. Right now its a low priority.

Can we at least ascertain the bit about Nova B sending him early to the world? You seem to have an image and maybe a character in mind here, but i'm not going to do the work for you, i'm just asking questions that you may or may not have considered yourself. The allusions to mythological Pan are clear as day - whether this is a kind of incipient India Syndrome (Nova C has the added advantage of actually having a direct hand in the planet's development), or garden variety taint isn't clear either.
                            Can we assume he is rapey? Or are the mudane human boys totally not being lured in by his node?
                            Nova #C does seem to have something like India Syndrome, plus he seems autistic. He has at least five levels of Mega Appearance, he doesn't need to rape teen-boys, they'd jump him. He seems to have no problem with the sexual orientation of the young men he takes as lovers. With that much Mega Appearance sexual orientation is a non-factor.

Some people suggest that he has a continuing plan to maintain the level of inspiration in order to maintain the stability of the terraformation. But there is a lack of proof.

I might have gone with something like; the warp-space created an echo chamber effect for however long they were stuck in the warp, exposing their noetic templates to exceptionally high levels of N-day waves.
                            But, there are many roads to Rome. -shrug-

Apologies again for the delay, i hope i haven't lost your interest in the interim.

Edit: It just occured to me that the two hundred year history could be played out as a prelude shared between a group, letting the PCs themselves guide the development. Generous helpings of time-skip and a series of historical scenes tying previous generations of the PC's family could help to create the sense of continuity and community you are targeting.
                            I hope my answers add to your fun.

Comment

Hello people, sorry for butting in with suh a long silence, but whatever, i'm in the mood for adding stuff.

About the "Horned One" who possibly was the part behind the terraformation of the planet, what if he didn't have ludricous Player's Guide level powers or assistants, but a well-placed combination of Element/Plant Mastery, with maybe some Time Manipulation, Fast Tasks and Clone? Just a thought...

Comment

Working...
                              X