Post-publishing and fan-made materials

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ashnod View Post
    . . .I don't know. I know my little writer's ego pictures Sherazahde's work being dug up or researched in the Trinity-era, something akin to Offred's accounting of what happened in the Republic of Gilead in The Handmaid's Tail. It's a record of what happened during the Aberrant years. Who some of the people were. What they could do. How they were changed and what it meant to be a nova, and not an aberrant.

But again, that's my ego speaking, and not the truth. The truth is I honestly loved the setting, and I loved writing about different facets of what it mean to suddenly be a superhumanly powered person.
    One of the things I really liked about Aberrant Nights was your ability to write convincing characters, who felt like members of this or that faction, without hardwiring them into the metaplot. For example, all of the "official" Terats (except maybe Swarm Queen) are written with an eye towards the Aberrant War, skewing heavily towards nova supremacists and violent wackos who didn't really seem to do anything other than get ready for the War.

But not Ashnod. She still reads Terat, from her ideals to her agenda to her friends, but she's a Terat in the "real world". And she showcases an alternate path forward, besides an apocalyptic war between mundanes and novas. Frankly, the setting needs more characters like her, characters who have lives outside of the war narrative. Even if the War is unavoidable, characters such as Ashnod give the world more depth and color.

Same with Malu. Her dark night of the soul, over Fracture and the rumors of Bahrain, are the first real signs I've seen of Utopians having doubts about their organization and its actions. The official Utopians have all made their decision, to stand by the Project, or to side with Corbin's Aberrants. There just aren't any good examples of characters on the fence.

The only thing I never really cared for was the backstory for Machina. Interesting character, and an interesting way to introduce her (via an interview with a bitter employee). The gene splicing, though, doesn't really feel Aberrant to me.

One question, though - why didn't you ever post the pieces involving "V" or "Salamander"? I like both of them as is, and they've been done for years. So why not go ahead and make them available to everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
      One of the things I really liked about Aberrant Nights was your ability to write convincing characters, who felt like members of this or that faction, without hardwiring them into the metaplot. For example, all of the "official" Terats (except maybe Swarm Queen) are written with an eye towards the Aberrant War, skewing heavily towards nova supremacists and violent wackos who didn't really seem to do anything other than get ready for the War.

But not Ashnod. She still reads Terat, from her ideals to her agenda to her friends, but she's a Terat in the "real world". And she showcases an alternate path forward, besides an apocalyptic war between mundanes and novas. Frankly, the setting needs more characters like her, characters who have lives outside of the war narrative. Even if the War is unavoidable, characters such as Ashnod give the world more depth and color.

Same with Malu. Her dark night of the soul, over Fracture and the rumors of Bahrain, are the first real signs I've seen of Utopians having doubts about their organization and its actions. The official Utopians have all made their decision, to stand by the Project, or to side with Corbin's Aberrants. There just aren't any good examples of characters on the fence.
      Thank you!

The only thing I never really cared for was the backstory for Machina. Interesting character, and an interesting way to introduce her (via an interview with a bitter employee). The gene splicing, though, doesn't really feel Aberrant to me.
      And honestly, were I writing it again, I might not include that. The problem is all of that info is rumor mill material, but the writer didn't fact check it. Ramsey never spliced her genetic material. That is what Pinchot thinks he overheard . She injected herself with it to see how her nova immune system would react to it, yes, but that was all. The connection to the chrysalis is an assumption on the part of the baselines. The interview was never aired, IIRC.

One question, though - why didn't you ever post the pieces involving "V" or "Salamander"? I like both of them as is, and they've been done for years. So why not go ahead and make them available to everyone?
      Three reasons.

1: I am lazy.
      2: the eXistenZialist columns were not written when you read them.
      3: I am lazy

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon
        And honestly, were I writing it again, I might not include that. The problem is all of that info is rumor mill material, but the writer didn't fact check it. Ramsey never spliced her genetic material. That is what Pinchot thinks he overheard . She injected herself with it to see how her nova immune system would react to it, yes, but that was all. The connection to the chrysalis is an assumption on the part of the baselines. The interview was never aired, IIRC.
        Ah . . .gotcha. I picked up on his attitude, but didn't get that he'd misheard. Makes more sense now. Out of curiosity, though, just what did she inject herself with? An alien organism? Another nova's tissue? Something created in a lab?

Originally posted by One Vorlon
        Three reasons.

1: I am lazy.
        2: the eXistenZialist columns were not written when you read them.
        3: I am lazy
        I like the irony of saying you're lazy . . . .twice

Edit: Wait, does that mean the eXistenZialist columns are finished now, too?!?

Comment

I think i've made my stance pretty clear, but i'd just like to thank you again for bringing Ashnod to my attention, One Vorlon. Excellent point with Malu being a questioning Utopian too, not enough of that in the setting. These people are meant to be wannabe-heroes, yet they toe the company line without turmoil?
          Lots of good thinking and perspective to be found in the 1001 Aberrant Nights stories.

Comment

I have started writing Aberrant-related fiction again. Nothing world-shattering, or anything, just snippets here and there in the handful of minutes I can spare. Actually having the creative spark again is invigorating. Coincidentally, Nihilist, I've kind of accepted the fact that 1,001 Aberrant Nights will probably not be updated in the near future, so if you still want to read the two pieces I held back, send me a message.

Comment

I wasn't sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the people who put together the Aberrant: New Flesh, Aberrant: Forceful Personalities as well as some other fan published material have released another fan made PDF; Aberrant: Nexus.
              Last edited by KingOfDreams; 05-30-2016, 12:22 AM.

There is no good or evil. There is only instinct corrupted by intelligence.

Comment

I didn';t have anything to do with it but I can say that reading it has inspired me to once again imagine using Aberrant, so I consider it an awesome and totally cool thing to be created.

Comment

I personally thought India Underground was pretty good ;-)

Comment

oh, damn - i've had a lot less time to post of late - i'd love to ask you a few questions Breearg, if you are who i think you are and you are still checking in now and then. IU was a really ambitious fan supplement and i've always wondered where some of the ideas and notions were came from and were going - from the creators of the book.
                    Thanks for posting Breearg, i hope i get a chance to speak with you about your contributions to the delightful post-publishing run of Aeon.

Comment

Working...
                    X