How big is the Coalition Ark anyway?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Su-tehp
    started a topic How big is the Coalition Ark anyway?

How big is the Coalition Ark anyway?

I haven't found a single reference to the exact (or even approximate) size for the Coalition Ark. Then again, I haven't read through Alien Encounter: Deception yet. I did find a couple of references to the fact that the Ark can sustain between 800 million to one billion inhabitants and has done so for a very long time.

Damn thing sounds like Rama.

Anyone got any ideas on how big this monstrosity is?

• IanWatson
    replied
    Originally posted by KarlB View Post
    Actually, I really should have just kept reading. The Aeon book actually states it's just over 70km in length. Still not small by any stretch of the imagination. Just not ID4 mothership scale.
    Hence the posts earlier in this thread, starting with #21:

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
    Necroing this thread.

As many of you are, I'm sure, aware, the canonical (Trinity Continuum: Æon, p. 38) size of the Coalition Ark is "more than 70km".

Assuming that's exactly 70km, I created this visual comparison.

https://twitter.com/VonAether/status...01685383299081

Leave a comment:

• KarlB
    replied
    Actually, I really should have just kept reading. The Aeon book actually states it's just over 70km in length. Still not small by any stretch of the imagination. Just not ID4 mothership scale.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Size I less of an issue in space you could make huge quarters for a reasonable population and the biggest concern would be a system to deflect or intercept minuscule debris.

Leave a comment:

• Su-tehp
    replied
    The smaller city destroyers from Independence Day measure about 24km in diameter. As for the mothership, it's roughly 800km wide

I don't remember where I got this pic, probably from DeviantArt or wherever, but have a gander at it as it has a bunch of large spacecraft from all sorts of Sci-fi stories whose sizes can be compared to each other, including the ships from Independence Day. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hz3...ew?usp=sharing

Just so you get the idea of how large some of these things are, the Moon is included for comparison as well.

Leave a comment:

• KarlB
    replied
    There's a 'video capture' in the Deception book during a firefight with the Coalition Ark where a Leviathan jump ship is shown in the foreground and looks really tiny compared to the Ark, like 10% of it's length or less, and we don't even know how deep into the foreground it is. But we do know the Leviathans are already massive in scale, so for something to dwarf it this much, we're looking at something *at least* to the scale of a Super Star Destroyer if not much much bigger.

After all, it IS carrying an entire civilization within it, and the last fictional ship carrying an entire advanced civilization inside that I remember was from Independence Day and we know that one is several hundred miles wide.

Leave a comment:

• Su-tehp
    replied
    I just wish Ian had thought to include a size comparison of the Supremacy, the Mega-class Star Dreadnought flying wing thing from The Last Jedi. That thing is almost as wide as the Ark is long!
    But yeah, this pic of Ian's does a great job of showing just how big this thing is.

I remember a parody someone wrote of one of those fanmade Ultra-class Star Dreadnoughts that was 250km (or maybe 750km!) long where the ship was so large, the crew mutinied and descended into barbarism and a civil war ensued throughout the entire ship simply because it was so redonkulously huge that the officers couldn't maintain control. I can't find that essay on the Internet; I could have sworn I had bookmarked it. Too bad, too, because it was hilarious.

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    I don't know, but the Red Dwarf is used as an internal shuttle.

Leave a comment:

• Graylion
    replied
    Nice I will take 2, where is my Emperial Black Credit Crystal?

Leave a comment:

• TiwazTyrsfist
    replied
    Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    That's not how it works.

TC: Aberrant extends the Scale chat beyond 6. Scale 7 is “Supreme”, and includes such things as a metroplex spanning multiple cities (such as the Boston-Washington Corridor in the US); Scale 8 is “Bewildering”, and includes major landmasses. Scale 9 is “Inconceivable” and deals with the likes of entire continents it worlds; and Scale 10 is “Transcendent”, and deals with solar system and the distances between them.

Given That the Coalition Ark is 70km long, it would be Scale 7 (it's 700km from Boston to DC).
    Yeah i was actually coming back to fix that. I'd forgotten that Aberrant defined larger scales.

Given 70km long and assuming 15.5 km wide and deep, and assuming each deck averages 4 meters accounting for both open area and floor/ ceiling, then we have roughly 3875 decks of roughly 1085 sq km each, for a total area of 4,204,375 sq km.
    Australia is roughly 7,692,024 sq km.

Therefore I'd say size 8, but 7 is probably also reasonable.

Size scale 9, where the difference between Australia and Jupiter is considered negligible.
    Last edited by TiwazTyrsfist; 07-07-2020, 06:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    That's not how it works.

TC: Aberrant extends the Scale chat beyond 6. Scale 7 is “Supreme”, and includes such things as a metroplex spanning multiple cities (such as the Boston-Washington Corridor in the US); Scale 8 is “Bewildering”, and includes major landmasses. Scale 9 is “Inconceivable” and deals with the likes of entire continents or worlds; and Scale 10 is “Transcendent”, and deals with solar system and the distances between them.

Given That the Coalition Ark is 70km long, it would be Scale 7 (it's 700km from Boston to DC).
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 09-08-2020, 09:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TiwazTyrsfist
    replied
    A baseline human is size scale 1. Assume roughly 6ft tall, 3ft wide, 1 1/2 ft thick, rectangular solid human, roughly 27 cu ft?

An Elephant is size scale 2. Roughly 10.5ft x 12 ft x 5 ft. Roughly 630 cu ft

A Blue Whale is size scale 4. Roughly 94 ft x 15 ft x 25 ft. roughly 35,250 cu ft

The coalition Ark is 70 km Long. Assuming the drawing is roughly to scale and the ship is roughly as wide as it is tall, its 70 km x 15.5 km x 15.5 km. 16817.5 cu km.
    593,904,410,000,000 Cubic Feet.
    Doing some VERY VERY shaky math using powers of 27, I conclude that the Ark is Size Scale 10-11.

Leave a comment:

• Graylion
    replied
    So what Scale Size would that be?
    Last edited by Graylion; 07-01-2020, 09:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IanWatson
    replied
    Necroing this thread.

As many of you are, I'm sure, aware, the canonical (Trinity Continuum: Æon, p. 38) size of the Coalition Ark is "more than 70km".

Assuming that's exactly 70km, I created this visual comparison.

https://twitter.com/VonAether/status...01685383299081

Leave a comment:

• Su-tehp
    replied
    I haven't played Mass Effect yet, although I expect I'll have to make time for it sometime (and assuming it's playable on a PC; I am not a console man).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X