Modern-day Eruptions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern-day Eruptions

This came up in another thread but the question leaves me curious for further details; Presuming that eruption is in part based off of wish fulfillment, what do you think the top 5 most common power sets would be among novas today?

Despite not thinking that way (wish fulfillment eruption), i'll have a punt:

1/ There may be enough vampire zietgiest left to see quantum psuedo-vampires or some other copyright infringinging variation for those with less verdant imaginations - the marvel movies might see a handful of spider-men show up and fued over negotiating with Disney for recognition
    2/ Electronic interface/control that allows control of technology
    3/ Mega Social personalities that somehow transmit their quantum gifts over social media
    4/ Financial genies with eco-friendly, visionary start-ups who also invent on the side
    5/ Generic Supermen will still be common, with a newfound focus on regeneration over invulnerability, possibly seeing more teleporting than flight, perhaps even siding with more speed over strength
    Last edited by Nihilist; 05-06-2015, 11:05 AM. Reason: speed > strength

Comment

With the popularity of some shows and movies, you could have people wanting to emulate them.
      Genius intellect to reflect the popularity of people like Batman and Iron Man
      Superstrength for those who prefer Hulking out or going all Captain America
      Superspeed is always a good choice to get to all the places you want to go on time.
      I also have to go with the mega-social to get the followrs on youtube, vine, twitter and so forth and so on.
      And cyberkinesis because people are still somehow claiming that they are "computer illiterate" and would love to be able to interact with computers.

Comment

I'd argue that most eruptions occur as a response to an otherwise unsolvable crisis (such as a skydiving accident or plane crash or being fatally shot) . . . but wish fulfillment would certainly color

Originally posted by Nihilist View Post
        Despite not thinking that way (wish fulfillment eruption), i'll have a punt:

1/ There may be enough vampire zietgiest left to see quantum psuedo-vampires or some other copyright infringinging variation for those with less verdant imaginations - the marvel movies might see a handful of spider-men show up and fued over negotiating with Disney for recognition
        Actually, I could see Disney hiring one of the spidermen novas. Some of the background color mentions that non-nova based sports and comics see a massive drop in sales after N-Day. Having a "real" Spiderman would be a great way to boost sales - and they wouldn't be the first company to sponsor a nova.

Plus, Steven Spielberg's already released one movie featuring an actual nova (the aptly titled "Nova"), to rave reviews and a massive box office. Can you imagine the kinds of shots you could get, with an actual spiderman-themed nova?

3/ Mega Social personalities that somehow transmit their quantum gifts over social media
        Yeah, I could see the "Almost Live" enhancement for Mega-Charisma being pretty big

5/ Generic Supermen will still be common, with a newfound focus on regeneration over invulnerability, possibly seeing more teleporting than flight, perhaps even siding with more speed over strength
        Hmm . . any thoughts on why? I could see Wolverine inspiring the regeneration, but I'm not clear on why teleporting and speed would suddenly break out. (Although, I'm definitely on board with teleporting being a really cool power - weekend in the Bahamas, here I come!)

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
          I'd argue that most eruptions occur as a response to an otherwise unsolvable crisis (such as a skydiving accident or plane crash or being fatally shot) . . . but wish fulfillment would certainly color
          I prefer to think of it as a kind of evolutionary mechanism gone crazy, perfectly capable of screwing you up even worse. But, i may not be as well read on the phenomena as those who focus on Aberrant like i focus on Trinity - hence my qualifier.

Actually, I could see Disney hiring one of the spidermen novas. Some of the background color mentions that non-nova based sports and comics see a massive drop in sales after N-Day. Having a "real" Spiderman would be a great way to boost sales - and they wouldn't be the first company to sponsor a nova.

Plus, Steven Spielberg's already released one movie featuring an actual nova (the aptly titled "Nova"), to rave reviews and a massive box office. Can you imagine the kinds of shots you could get, with an actual spiderman-themed nova?
          Any reason why you could see Disney taking the plunge? I'd imagine the copyright and contract law involved could kill the idea with technicalities. But, i don't follow Marvel as closely as i once did and i really don't know their culture in the current day.
          Pity OPP aren't free to tell that kind of story - i could see some interesting play coming from a nova PC trying to fill the shoes of a fictional, spiritual predecessor. Especially if the Player themself was a fan of the character in question. But, copyright takes precedent over any storytelling potential. -sigh-

Hmm . . any thoughts on why? I could see Wolverine inspiring the regeneration, but I'm not clear on why teleporting and speed would suddenly break out. (Although, I'm definitely on board with teleporting being a really cool power - weekend in the Bahamas, here I come!)
          I can do why.
          It's all about the Zietgeist, if wish fulfillment eruption occurs. We'd see generational eruptions based on trends and fads - influenced directly by whatever currently seized the imagination in question. We see more regeneration in media than we see instant healing, even most medical science is rooted in our ability to heal ourselves - it just seemed a tad more modern than cleric-style curing of wounds. Admittedly, really fast regeneration performed on others would still use the healing power itself, but the actual powers aren't what i was thinking of, just the personal Anima/powerset granted through modern wish fulfillment.
          The teleporting and speed are really a less direct application of modern technological awareness. More people have a sense of what instant transmissions entail through their portable, wireless devices - so i presume the desire to replicate this utility physically might have crossed a few more minds by now. The speed is kind of a product of slow-motion video, gaming lag and the increasing tempo of global cycles - which may influence some animas in ways few could have anticipated in the late 90s.
          -shrug-
          Your mileage may, of course, vary.

Comment

I've run a few successful Aberrant games and I've always run the eruptions of the characters in game. I always saw it as a response to trauma whether it be physical or mental. It may be wish fulfillment for the player but not in the PCs eyes. My current game is very grounded and the group is in constant discussion as to the morality of what they can do. One player survived a helicopter crash and gained Density Control. Another has depression issues and started with shroud and evolved into Bodymorph Shadow. A third was struck by lightning. Another had an obsession with a girl and would follow her around. One night while stalking her, he heard her getting beat up by her boyfriend. The PC suddenly found himself in her apartment. He developed Teleport.

Comment

Originally posted by Nihilist View Post
              Any reason why you could see Disney taking the plunge? I'd imagine the copyright and contract law involved could kill the idea with technicalities. But, i don't follow Marvel as closely as i once did and i really don't know their culture in the current day.

Pity OPP aren't free to tell that kind of story - i could see some interesting play coming from a nova PC trying to fill the shoes of a fictional, spiritual predecessor. Especially if the Player themself was a fan of the character in question. But, copyright takes precedent over any storytelling potential. -sigh-
              I meant only in the world of Aberrant. Even I can't see Disney actually contracting with Onyx Path to include an official Spiderman character.

But I think that Onyx Path could indirectly reference such a thing. Its only a challenge to their copyright if Onyx Path is defaming it, or trying to profit from their intellectual property. Simply mentioning a name or two is fine. Its why they're able to discuss a merger of Viacom and Microsoft (in game), or have Steven Spielberg making movies starring novas.
              So there shouldn't be a problem mentioning that Disney is looking to recruit interested novas for the next generation of Avengers movies, or something similar.

I can do why.
              Thanks - I appreciate the insight

Comment

Eruption by-the-book is generally caused in latent individuals by some sort of high-stress, intense situation, most of the time. That can mean life and death situations, but it can also mean being triggered by sexual trauma, impending financial ruin, loss of a loved one, a diagnosis of a fatal illness, a particularly bad drug trip, or even something harmless or positive, such as having to give an important presentation to hundreds of people, getting married, or having a particularly intense orgasm.

It is possible however for nova abilities to be triggered by exposure to quantum power directly, which I believe is how Divis Mal erupted, to deliberately trigger an eruption is you suspect latency, or to simply have your "eruption" come upon you more as a gradual realization than as a sudden crescendo of nuclear power. My belief is the former category likely creates the potentially strongest novas while the third category produces the most subtle.

Generally, the pattern seems to be that the powers developed tend to be relevant to the events surrounding the eruption. Yes, I want to be rich. So does everyone...but financial genius novas aren't particularly common compared to anyone else, and it's not like people didn't want money any more back in the good ol' anti-materialist days of 1998.

Comment

I feel that my own predilection for eruption may run closer to Wolfgar's. Without my books on hand, novas like Sloppy Joe and the agoraphobic fear-nova out of the PG in the 'Australis' group just don't sit right in the 'wish-fulfilment' approach to eruption. At least, not to me. If someone can make those canon eruptions gel with wish-fulfilment, i may have to reconsider my stance.

Yes, i didn't assume Disney would be making deals with Onyx Path - i meant that the legal precedents for establishing a real existing person/nova as a representation of a fictional character under the control of a corporation so concerned with public approval might be a bit unlikely. Right now Disney owns Spiderman (bad example, because i think Sony still has the movie rights to our friendly neighbourhood web-slinger), the content of his stories and every word out of his mouth. They have control over the idea of 'Spiderman' - so sharing that control with a living entity possessed of potentially superhuman appeal and substantial public goodwill, just seems to be inviting trouble.
                  I can see a few mascot-style novas under some famous masks, but only ever as temporary assignments for special occasions (a movie or three could be feasible for a single individual, i'd think), beyond that the two begin to conflate together. It would be like the US military running a licensed 'Captain America' program - there's just too many ways for it to go wrong on both sides. But, i doubt that would stop wish-fulfilment eruption. In fact i think Disney, Time-Warner or some other corporation suing an eruptee over copy infringement could be more likely given how much sense copyright makes to me in this day and age.
                  Last edited by Nihilist; 07-05-2015, 06:31 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

You guys seem to be confusing copyright with trademark at least a little bit. Disney/Time Warner/Whoever might be able to sue a nova for trademark infringement if that nova say, put on the costume and took the moniker of one of the superheros under their IP - that's pretty possible. They couldn't sue a nova just for erupting with similar powers though, as, well, characters with very similar abilities are already a staple of fiction, and eruption is a medical condition that cannot be willingly stopped or reversed to my knowledge. Even in the darker versions of Aberrant, you aren't going to get a legal precedent for that.

Now it is possible for a nova to run afoul of some obscure character that there is already an established trademark on - that would be common enough that you would want to contact a lawyer before choosing an alias. Likewise, novas under contract could have their personas owned by a seperate corporate entity. Professional wrestlers for instance, typically have their in-ring persona be a trademark of the company they work for, and if they leave for a different company or to work the independent circuit they may not be able to legally use that persona again.

Teragen of course, may make mortal IP law something of a joke - if a Terat decides he wants to be Victor von Doom, there really is only so little you can do to enforce things.

Comment

I may have to shoulder blame for this misunderstanding of US law, but copyright isn't really as intuitive as it could be either. If someone more knowledgeable than i in that arena says otherwise, i would have to accept their position.
                      Professional wrestling gimmicks are an interesting case study, in fact, the influence of our late 90s wrestling boom seems to have influenced the authors of Aberrant in a number of ways. Perhaps we may see new wrestling/nova analogues (Lance Badass Stryker, etc..) for performers from this era in the new edition too, maybe with a bit better explanation for how they got away with their theft of zeitgeist this time around. Did DeVries hire Vince Russo in their early years or something after the XWF buyout?
                      -smile-
                      The original setting had comics (and wrestling) decline drastically after eruptions began - which conveniently removes these possibilities rather neatly. I wonder what fate OPP have in store for our modern analogues? Marvel seems much harder to sink with the movie franchises and Disney behind them at least, but i don't know how DC would fare after the new 52 and wrestling seems to have retreated into its niche after the aforementioned boom.
                      I realize suing over an uncontrolled physiological change would be unlikely, but it could fit into a fear & loathing type of approach to the material. It could make for a fun mastermind plot to foil for a counter-culture party.
                      -shrug-
                      Still, it's good to know the law isn't quite that insane, yet. We do copyright living organisms after-all.

I might be more interested in a Nova taking the name spiderman (or any other popular super-hero), becoming popular despite the legalities and being driven into the arms of the Teragen by their litigating pursuers. The Teragen could find that mildly amusing, while i can picture a lot of rolling eyes for a Terat naming themself after a comic-book villain - like a bikini bimbo at a feminist rally.
                      Last edited by Nihilist; 07-05-2015, 04:48 PM. Reason: Censored by Monsanto

Comment

Patent living organisms. Not copyright.

Comment

Working...
                        X