Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can modern superhero comics do for the Continuum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warren Ellis is pretty deep in the Continuum's DNA already, but especially Crooked Little Vein, Global Frequency, Supergod, and newuniversal. If you want to go deeper out, The New Universe itself is pretty keen. Beyond Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan by JMS is also excellent. For Aeon, I've been looking at Crossgen's Sigil.

Neall Raemonn Price
    Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

I know I'm in the minority here, but reconstruction of the Earth's Greatest Heroes concept has been doing well for almost twenty years now, from Grant Morrison's epic JLA run back in the mid-late 90s to the Marvel Cinematic Universe of the present day. Considering the meaning of Trinity's tagword, Continuum, DC's Convergence seems like a good place to go as a source for that. Less traditionally, another Grant Morrison work, Multiversity, covers what I imagine to be similar themes to Continuum, based on the quantum divergence vibe I'm getting.

All of this heads towards something I've been wanting to note: a straight T2M campaign can actually be a lot of fun, based on experience. What does it mean to try and be ideal superheroes in a realistic, often brutal world with shades of gray? How far do you go against Nova criminals? Elites? Teragen? Militarized government superteams? Frack, what if a band of Novas decides to do the JLA/Avengers thing on their own? And none of this covers dealing with Project Proteus, which is not exactly an insignificant plot thread if you're trying to be Utopia's good guys (that was the core of my first campaign arc back in the day).

Heroes die. Hope is a phoenix.

Comment

Originally posted by Neall View Post
        Warren Ellis is pretty deep in the Continuum's DNA already, but especially Crooked Little Vein, Global Frequency, Supergod, and newuniversal. If you want to go deeper out, The New Universe itself is pretty keen. Beyond Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan by JMS is also excellent. For Aeon, I've been looking at Crossgen's Sigil.

All great inspirations, for sure! Supergod and Newuniversal both struck me as excellent Aberrant inspirations, when I read them.

Captain Aeon, I certainly agree that Aberrant could make for an excellent setting for reconstructionist superhero stories.

Comment

I don't know if you guys take inspiration from other roleplaying games but if you do check out wild talents. It has, at least for me, the BEST superhero setting I have ever read. It's the perfect example of what would happen in the world if people with superpowers appeared and interacted with the world in a realistic way.
          Last edited by Firanai; 06-10-2015, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Dude, if you want to go off the rails with Wild Talents, look at Progenitor. I mean, holy shit, that game is awesome.

Neall Raemonn Price
            Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Dude, if you want to go off the rails with Wild Talents, look at Progenitor. I mean, holy shit, that game is awesome.
              It has a cool setting also but I still prefer wild talents.

Comment

Originally posted by Nihilist View Post
                I've never seen the need to get further away from the silver age, the closest the game gets is via allusion (T2M). Although the Teragen could probably do with less assholes to steer the presentation away from simple morality and toward complex philosophy. Just from personal taste. Otherwise, I haven't really had the opportunity to catch up on the more avante-gard super-hero titles of the 2010s, so I'm interested to see what comes up. Uber sounds interesting, I wouldn't have expected Marvel to be doing anything too daring with their Avengers money train either.
                I agree with you. The Teragen could use fewer jerks and more idealists. And I agree with Aiden, too - I think a couple "philanthropic" superhero teams are quite plausible. I mean, just look at how many people still join the Peace Corps, and all the medical staff that go to Third World countries (as part of Medecins sans Frontieres/Doctors without Borders) to treat Ebola and the like. Coupled with the big pay checks that Aeon/Utopia can write . . . Team Tomorrow seems quite plausible to me.

And if anyone wants a darker, grittier game - well, there are plenty of factions that can accommodate that. Want a Suicide Squad-type game? Project Proteus is right up your alley - complete with exploding neck collars. A secretive, slightly abusive team more your style? Think the Directive. Then there are Devries' Elites (et al ) whoare busy leveling Africa, while China is doing god knows what with its novas (accusations of brainwashing and torture continue to leak out of the country . . . )

Comment

I had a lot of the original new universe books, the reboot under Ellis was a treat, but i haven't had time to properly pursue it sadly. I didn't realize JMS was getting his hands on Dr Manhattan - i might have to look in on that. Thanks for posting these, Neall.

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
                  And if anyone wants a darker, grittier game - well, there are plenty of factions that can accommodate that. Want a Suicide Squad-type game? Project Proteus is right up your alley - complete with exploding neck collars. A secretive, slightly abusive team more your style? Think the Directive. Then there are Devries' Elites (et al ) whoare busy leveling Africa, while China is doing god knows what with its novas (accusations of brainwashing and torture continue to leak out of the country . . . )
                  There are so many delicious ways to present the game, like a toolkit of atmouspheres with a storyline. Although it's not a recent comic by any stretch, i've often wondered at how the Trinity Continuum could contain a "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" everything-that-has-ever-been-written range of content with a few small adjustments. It informs my vision of the setting despite never having actually tried it myself.

I had a chance to look at Supergod and the first few issues of Uber this week. Supergod captures the alieness of high Quantum novas quite well, since it's mostly a look at those details with an incedental apocalypse to frame the characters - if they can even be called that, more like higher concepts with attached art, almost Lovecraftian in their otherness.
                  Uber makes for an interesting tactical story with an alternate history being seeded into the second world war, but the applications to Aberrant are sadly few due to the powered characters all sharing the same (or similar) powersets. It makes for a much less convoluted tactical perspective of super-powers in warfare than would be seen on an Aberrant battlefield - but the research and historical accuracy was apparent and there is a lot to think about concerning Aberrant within its pages.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
                  -tips hat-

Comment

Working...
                  X