Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[official blog post] Diving into the Continuum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [official blog post] Diving into the Continuum

    Ian talks why the Continuum is a continuum: http://theonyxpath.com/diving-into-t...ity-continuum/


    Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

  • #2
    Thanks for pointing this out.

    Comment


    • #3
      I wonder if the decision to go larger or smaller will be if a given era will also have a new character type, or if it will mostly be a matter of how different that era is. WWII for instance is reasonably fresh enough no one should really be confused.

      I also of course wonder if we will see any new options eventually beyond psion, nova, or daredevil/inspired. I suspect that the answer is nothing concrete planned but options open for now, although the newer version of Aeon may feature some playable aliens - the Qin certainly, and possibly others.

      Comment


      • #4
        Possible Eras:

        Post Aeon Space Opera

        Alt Aeon Post Apocalypse

        Alt Aeon Cyperpunk

        (These are all present to an extent in Aeon as core, but such settings would see greater focus. Plus, I love me some cyberware and I always wanted to see a White Wolf game with it)

        The 1990s, mostly as a joke

        The 1970s, not nearly as much a joke as you might think.

        The Cold War era, in general.

        WW II

        Victorian Era

        Wild West Era

        Pirates/Age of Sail Era

        Renaissance Era

        Classical Antiquity (Someone mentioned an ancient world game being Antiquity, and I loved that idea.)

        Precivilization.

        Comment


        • #5
          And then when you have a suitably diverse enough number of settings, you make a time-traveler game, because time travel is really a complicated enough subject to deserve it's own book/game entirely.

          Comment


          • #6
            Shouldn't get too tied down in details, full access space-time travel may have access to 100+ trillion years of possibilities. If we focussed too strongly on human history we would miss out on the epic scale time can represent. I would like to see a Transhuman Space kind of post-human setting and perhaps a follow up space-opera where we can't be sure which species arose from human stock wee are so far in the future. Like Aasimov's Foundation, but with aliens. If that even makes sense.
            A single book with a nice mandate could cover human history quite neatly and let the other books cover less well documented settings.

            Comment


            • #7
              While I appreciate the worldbuilding needed to wrap Trinity together, and to expand it to multiple genres / periods beyond, I know in practice I'm only really interested in psions saving humanity from enemies within and without. I wonder how many gamers will actually make use of the full Continuum, to any extent.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by PaulChapman View Post
                While I appreciate the worldbuilding needed to wrap Trinity together, and to expand it to multiple genres / periods beyond, I know in practice I'm only really interested in psions saving humanity from enemies within and without. I wonder how many gamers will actually make use of the full Continuum, to any extent.
                Oh, I think quite a few have been wanting to do exactly that since Nova's appeared in Aberrant - and I can see the appeal for an audience that never played 1st edition to have plenty of settings to drop basically anything into. So I'd image there's quite a market for it actually.

                Like you though, I'm only really interested in the story of Psions and mundanes in the 2120's era, and maybe an advancement of the Continuum for Psions beyond that point.


                Trinity Continuum G+ Fan Community
                H.S.U.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nihilist View Post
                  Shouldn't get too tied down in details, full access space-time travel may have access to 100+ trillion years of possibilities.
                  100 trillion years of possibility reminds me of this:

                  "The fact is that the universe is going to stop expanding and it is going to collapse in on itself. We've got to do something before it's too late."
                  "How much time do we have left?"
                  "60 trillion years, 70 at the most."
                  "Oh, no."
                  - Jack and Patrick (DS9: "Chrysalis")
                  Granted, we've found out since this episode aired (October 28, 1998) that the Universe's rate of expansion isn't slowing down...it's speeding up. In other words, we're not headed for the Big Crunch; we're headed for the Heat Death of the Universe.

                  "Oh, no."
                  - Patrick



                  Complete Garou Gifts List, Fera Gifts List, Garou Totems List and other assorted OPP/White Wolf goodies

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Time travel back to the Trias age and BLAAM!! LaZer Dinos!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm somewhat the opposite of some people here; I have no interest in Psions or the Aeon era, but I'm all over Novas - and anything Adventure! related.


                      Revlid wrote:
                      Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PaulChapman View Post
                        While I appreciate the worldbuilding needed to wrap Trinity together, and to expand it to multiple genres / periods beyond, I know in practice I'm only really interested in psions saving humanity from enemies within and without. I wonder how many gamers will actually make use of the full Continuum, to any extent.
                        I know that my group is already chomping at the bit to do a whole setting where the effects of one part of the Continuum will resonate with the other ones. I have been working on how to time out to make it concurrent, though. But yeah, we will explore all of the Continuum at one point or another.

                        Originally posted by light-hero View Post
                        Time travel back to the Trias age and BLAAM!! LaZer Dinos!!!

                        Did someone say Kung Fury?
                        Wait...Kung Fury makes SENSE now. The rules seem to back up being able to do it. Hrmmmm....

                        Last edited by thedonnie; 06-17-2015, 01:25 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by thedonnie View Post

                          I know that my group is already chomping at the bit to do a whole setting where the effects of one part of the Continuum will resonate with the other ones. I have been working on how to time out to make it concurrent, though. But yeah, we will explore all of the Continuum at one point or another.




                          Did someone say Kung Fury?
                          Wait...Kung Fury makes SENSE now. The rules seem to back up being able to do it. Hrmmmm....
                          Remember: the future of the King Fury timeline is Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.


                          Ian A. A. Watson
                          Onyx Path Community Manager

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PaulChapman View Post
                            While I appreciate the worldbuilding needed to wrap Trinity together, and to expand it to multiple genres / periods beyond, I know in practice I'm only really interested in psions saving humanity from enemies within and without. I wonder how many gamers will actually make use of the full Continuum, to any extent.
                            *waves hand* Ooo, now I want to run a campaign where Max Mercer is basically the Doctor for the Trinity Continuum! (Except he is the TARDIS.)

                            Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                            Remember: the future of the King Fury timeline is Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.
                            Ah, but now that we're talking time travel, is this a case of the egg laying the chicken?


                            Heroes die. Hope is a phoenix.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by CHILL View Post

                              Oh, I think quite a few have been wanting to do exactly that since Nova's appeared in Aberrant - and I can see the appeal for an audience that never played 1st edition to have plenty of settings to drop basically anything into. So I'd image there's quite a market for it actually.

                              Like you though, I'm only really interested in the story of Psions and mundanes in the 2120's era, and maybe an advancement of the Continuum for Psions beyond that point.
                              I know my group would be interested, we've had mixed results meshing Daredevils and Psions in stories. I also have a soft spot for Novas.
                              As for Mercer being the TARDIS I can live with this provided the pocket dimension is written where he is trapped and devoured...or Daleks are introduced because every game needs something screaming Exterminate.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X