Latentcy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latentcy

Is latency physical? Can a latent be rendered neutral prior to triggering by means of physical interference? If the DNA is damaged in the wrong place, can a latent default back to neutral? Can someone get too old to trigger/inspire/erupt? If not, can this feature be affected Noetically? Tellurically? Magically? Someone can spontaneously shift from Neutral to latent we're told, but is this true?
    Please share your thoughts, the ability to become inspired/psionic/a nova is perhaps the most valuable single resource in the setting, but it's also the most capricious and arbitrary.

Okay, my take on this. It is mostly head canon and what I find cool.

In universe exist Two layers, Quantum layer and Noetic layer. Most species of cosmos interact with Noetic layer, Humanity as a species evolved differently and so is one(of the) species, that ca interact with Quantum layer and is only species which interacts with both.(I prefer quirk of Evolution, over Alien experiment, we have enough of those already). Thanks to these interactions Trinity humanity never gained mastery of psi/quantum, but thanks to affecting them, gained ability to affect translation from one layer to the other and very random localized reality edit, beneficial to the individual.

So humans have apparatus for affecting translation from layer to layer, mostly passively, when exposed to high concentration of exotic energies from those layers, this apparatus exhibits unnatural growth, its ability strengthens and after reaching certain point gains much more active control over layers. Big source of these energies was Hammersmith experiment(and whatewer Divis Mal did). of course as humans are born with different potential for height or better or worse metabolism, so is different ability of this apparatus to react and grow. Some need very little ambient energies, some need ungodly amount of them.

This also plays a role, when exhibiting type. Some people will react better and their quantum side will grow quicker(novas), for others their noetic side will grow(psiads), for most though both sides will grow and keep each other in check(Talents), of course type of energies is also important, changing the proportions of the triggered.

Summation: I think Latency works better as a scale, rather then yes no.(we have enough X-men), so there is no such thing as truly neutral human. and I think all three types coming from the same source is important stylistically.

Comment

Latency is the potential to become a Psion, just that potential as the game stands a Latent must choose to become a Psion. Natural eruption aside i.e. Psiads the game works well within the framework. Exposure to active and high amounts of noetic use can nudge an individual towards latency.
      Aberrant and latency really don't mix well, most Novas erupt under extreme circumstances, a failed suicide, a crime, the trauma of losing a loved one, etc. The fact that during the timeline of Aberrant the majority of eruptions will be just that eruptions. The fact that the majority of eruptions release more quanta or taint means that the natural tendency is being skewed to Novas.
      Daredevils/protopsions/proteomics are the natural development of Humanity and are a mix of both conscious and unconscious manipulation of quantum and noetics. The Hammersmith event released the potential and it grew. Again I'm not a fan of using the term Latency during the timeline of Adventure. I would agree that exposure to massive amounts of tellurgenic energy should create a Daredevil.

Comment

Originally posted by Nihilist View Post
        Is latency physical?
        Yes and no. Specifically, the type of latency that produces the Inspired is not physical, but the type of latency that produces novas and psions is. "Inspirational Latency" is something more like "destiny" or ever increasing probability that a certain number of individuals will become a significant event in space-time. Psions and novas are subsets of these.

Can a latent be rendered neutral prior to triggering by means of physical interference?
        Probably not short of extreme measures. Note the self-preservation aspect of psionic aptitudes indicates that the seat of psionic ability is probably located in or near the medulla, meaning you can't really remove it and keep them alive. The Mazarin Rashoud node doesn't develop fully until after eruption, so you can't really remove it preemptively either.

If the DNA is damaged in the wrong place, can a latent default back to neutral? Can someone get too old to trigger/inspire/erupt?
        Possibly, although I think we would be talking about severe damage and or extreme old age. A person who is going to Inspire will always inspire, flat. A potential psion might get too old to survive triggering, and a potential nova may grow to old to survive eruption. Outside of extreme genetic damage though, like say some kind of high energy bombardment, you aren't going to have much success.

It might be possible to remove latency via a specifically designed retrovirus. That's not a small effort though, and would likely have to be custom tailored to a degree.

If not, can this feature be affected Noetically? Tellurically? Magically? Someone can spontaneously shift from Neutral to latent we're told, but is this true?
        Noetically? Possibly, although that's likely a secret of the Doyen if it is possible. Quantumly, sure. Magically, well, it's magic, so also sure.

Comment

Apologies for the delay, i had almost forgotten about this...

Originally posted by zorb42 View Post
          Okay, my take on this. It is mostly head canon and what I find cool.

In universe exist Two layers, Quantum layer and Noetic layer. Most species of cosmos interact with Noetic layer, Humanity as a species evolved differently and so is one(of the) species, that ca interact with Quantum layer and is only species which interacts with both.(I prefer quirk of Evolution, over Alien experiment, we have enough of those already).
          The Qin and Chromatics both interact with the noetic and quantum layers in canon. Assuming we're both using the same definitions. Quirks of evolution that favour humanity exclusively would be a bit anthro-centric for my taste, the Hammersmith effect (and it's varied reproductions) works fine for my purposes.
          -shrug-
          Thanks to these interactions Trinity humanity never gained mastery of psi/quantum, but thanks to affecting them, gained ability to affect translation from one layer to the other and very random localized reality edit, beneficial to the individual.
          Do you mean before the Hammersmith effect? Are you talking about Daredevils/Talents predating Hammersmith? Like Scalper Dutch and Safari Jack? Please give an example of a "very random localized reality edit, beneficial to the individual", you may have lost me here.
          Otherwise, you would say everyone has the capacity to be triggered as a Psion or erupt as a Nova given the right level of personal exposure to their related forces? Am i reading you right? If so, that's interesting, it would mean Latency is just a threshold anyone can cross under the correct circumstances.
          Okay, i like to combine the MR Node and the Psionic physiological triggering process into the same fictional neural cluster, both in respect to Occam's razor and because i think a book might have planted the suggestion, although i have no idea where to even look. Making it a scale is much more versatile as a storytelling tool. Thanks for the input.
          Originally posted by lncbill View Post
          Latency is the potential to become a Psion, just that potential as the game stands a Latent must choose to become a Psion. Natural eruption aside i.e. Psiads the game works well within the framework. Exposure to active and high amounts of noetic use can nudge an individual towards latency.
          So one can become latent, but not lose latency? It's a kind of noetic warmth that can be imparted, but otherwise has no substance and can't be further affected?

Aberrant and latency really don't mix well, most Novas erupt under extreme circumstances, a failed suicide, a crime, the trauma of losing a loved one, etc. The fact that during the timeline of Aberrant the majority of eruptions will be just that eruptions. The fact that the majority of eruptions release more quanta or taint means that the natural tendency is being skewed to Novas.
          I mentioned above that i somehow gathered that the potential to erupt and latency were essentially the same phenomena. Perhaps (as Zorb42 mentioned) with different natural tendencies when uninfluenced by external factors, e.g. N-day. But, i don't know where i've picked that up - is there somewhere that states the M-R Node and Psionic triggering aren't related? I know i'm asking you to prove a negative, but i could have sworn the M-R Node is used in the Triggering process, so i may stick with that understanding for discussions sake. Making Psychomorphs and Eximorphs mutually exclusive - because they both occupy the same physiology.

Daredevils/protopsions/proteomics are the natural development of Humanity and are a mix of both conscious and unconscious manipulation of quantum and noetics. The Hammersmith event released the potential and it grew. Again I'm not a fan of using the term Latency during the timeline of Adventure. I would agree that exposure to massive amounts of tellurgenic energy should create a Daredevil.

Where does "proteomic" come from? I don't think i've heard that one before.
          I preferred to think that Daredevils had no latent form, that anyone could potentially be 'infected' memetically when given a part to play in sufficiently 'inspired' events. What exactly these 'inspired' events result from on a physical/noetic level, i'm not too certain. "Tellurgenic energy" is as a good a term as any for it, because i'm not too certain what tellurgenic energy is, once placed beside quantum and noetic science. Apparently, it can be stored in batteries, so tellergenic energy -1 Quantum and Psi -0.
          -smile-

Originally posted by Wolfgar View Post

Yes and no. Specifically, the type of latency that produces the Inspired is not physical, but the type of latency that produces novas and psions is. "Inspirational Latency" is something more like "destiny" or ever increasing probability that a certain number of individuals will become a significant event in space-time. Psions and novas are subsets of these.

Sounds right to me. A physiological component to Psions and Novas, but not for "inspired" - by which i assume you mean Daredevils/Talents.

Probably not short of extreme measures. Note the self-preservation aspect of psionic aptitudes indicates that the seat of psionic ability is probably located in or near the medulla, meaning you can't really remove it and keep them alive. The Mazarin Rashoud node doesn't develop fully until after eruption, so you can't really remove it preemptively either.
          That's interesting, placing it in the medulla is clever in particular. But, like i've mentioned, i've a horse in the race for the M-R node and this psionic equivalent being the same nerve ending to begin with. In the Noetic-powered 2120s, i would buy the India Underground work on node-therapy, suggesting that surgery to remove/de-taint nodes had been discovered shortly before the QK purge. But, that was in the 2110's i think, maybe earlier, but far in the future from the Aberrant era. The Doyen using the chambers to disarm 'latent' aberrants while formatting an army of potential hosts with their leftovers was kind of elegant, i'd be sad to lose it just because you cleverly placed the not-Mazarin-Rashoud node.
          -smile-

Possibly, although I think we would be talking about severe damage and or extreme old age. A person who is going to Inspire will always inspire, flat. A potential psion might get too old to survive triggering, and a potential nova may grow to old to survive eruption. Outside of extreme genetic damage though, like say some kind of high energy bombardment, you aren't going to have much success.

It might be possible to remove latency via a specifically designed retrovirus. That's not a small effort though, and would likely have to be custom tailored to a degree.

But, you can't picture - for example; a latency transplant for the powerful? I like the retrovirus idea too, that could work if there was something physiological to it - that may actually be something 2120s nanotech might be employed in despite the restrictions.

Noetically? Possibly, although that's likely a secret of the Doyen if it is possible. Quantumly, sure. Magically, well, it's magic, so also sure.

So, would you say it's within the reach of a kind of Noetic-era Superscience to add/remove/transfer latency, like a macguffin? If latency could be transferred, then moving inspired consciousness between bodies might also be on the table...

Comment

Protoaberrant my phone's spell check is a picky piece of work and I missed the correction.
            I again tend to agree with you. Tellurgenic energy seems to be a rare occurrence where quanta and noetic energy mix. I also thought that psi batteries were mentioned in one of the Order books, but as I created them for use with the versatile weapons system I developed I'm probably importing my own head canon.

Comment

Originally posted by lncbill View Post
              Protoaberrant my phone's spell check is a picky piece of work and I missed the correction.
              I again tend to agree with you. Tellurgenic energy seems to be a rare occurrence where quanta and noetic energy mix. I also thought that psi batteries were mentioned in one of the Order books, but as I created them for use with the versatile weapons system I developed I'm probably importing my own head canon.
              Phone spell checking: enemy of comprehension, modern tower of babel.
              -smile-
              I assume Telluric science was just a proto-scientific title used by Professor Dixon as a catch-all for quantum and noetic phenomena, since neither of those disciplines had even been invented by then. So, i use it as a kind of catch-all phrase concerning strangeness in the wake of Hammersmith, but i try not to over-use it when more specific definitions can apply. Both noetic and quantum energies are both 'tellurgenic' in the eyes of Prof. Dixon.
              I crawled through every visible nook and cranny of 2120s tech, apart from some biotech that could be used to bank a few points of Psi, nothing approaching the universal utility of a Dixon battery sticks out. Aeon probably treasure any remaining Dixon-made tech they have left over, but i was toying with reviving the Dixon Battery with 2122+ fabrication techniques - because of the possibilities it could open.
              Love to see your head-canon weapon system, if it's not already available somewhere else. CHILL maintains that open archive there if you like.

Comment

No it isn't on Chill's archives while I was on the site quite a bit I had tech issues actually posting.

The Versatile Weapons System started because I wanted a new armament manufacturer in my game systems. I needed something that would showcase to my players the concept of both devices and what a character could be capable of doing. McFox Industries was born. McFox Industries concentrates solely on hard tech, the biotech field is too crowded and has a limited market, the Mark I Cerberus is the McFox answer to Orgotek's S.A.W. The MK I combines a coil carbine, laser, and electric into a single weapon the size of a standard carbine(nc).
                The biotech company Gregoravitch at the same time released the Nightwing a pistol designed for police and corporate security. The pistol is a laser, fletchette, and electric. The pistol is biotech and has a low tolerance(1). The electric beam is non lethal the laser has a damage of 5 the flechette does 3/5/7 and fires 4/6/8 with a standard clip of 20.
                The psi battery was designed for Order specific weapons. The psi energy must be recharged by a Psion and holds 15 points of psi which can power the third and fourth firing modes. The Biokinetic version has a laser(5) an electric beam(lethal or non) and duplicates the power to dissolve atomic bonds(must be formatted, and fires at a psi rating of the Psion), the fourth mode fires as a quantum disrupter using psi to strip quanta energy from an Aberrant. Tolerance is 3.

Comment

Working...
                X