Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternate Setting Possibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Alternate Setting Possibility

    Aeon Trinity is based on the premise that the novas had this world obliterating power and used it. Badly. Then we have the premise in Aberrant that novas do have the power to reshape the world in their image for good or for ill. But the way the world reacts to them and the consequences of wielding that much power wears down on the mind and psyche of novas forcing them to mutate and become unhinged.
    But what if....
    What if their power did not get to the level where they could crack tectonic plates? What if the most they could do was to wipe out a city block? What if their power never got to the point where they could annihilate the entire midwest with one burst, but that they could melt an armored car on their best day?
    If the power levels never got too high, would there have been an Aberrant War? Would the Ultimatum have been necessary? Would the Aeon Society have needed to begin sterilizing the novas or sending them off to fight in wars to cull their population? Would Divis Mal have been able to do his own Magneto schtick?
    I am interested in hearing the thoughts and conjecture that can arise from this scenario. I would also like to hear about if anyone has explored this in their own games.

  • #2
    If power levels weren't high enough, then the mass Exodus of the Aberrants wouldn't have been possible. Depending on how high exactly, we could see a variety of outcomes.

    -Aberrants triumphant: High powered Aberrants, but not high powered enough. The Aberrants are eventually forced into a position that demands they wipe out most of the human population to survive. There is a long, bloody, contracted battle on both sides. Baseline humanity is ultimately crushed and removed from power. Most humans who survive will likely wind up doing cheap menial labor and living in ghettos. By Trinity time expect to see small rebellions of humans try to overthrown the various Aberrant regimes with few successes, but maybe some greater hope with some alien backers.

    -Aberrant stalemate: Mid powered Aberrants. Humanity and the Aberrants wind up in a state of perpetual war. The Aberrants aren't strong enough to just leave or crush humanity entirely, so they will try to break off and form their own communities and societies, perpetuating a state of continual cold/hot war with baseline nations. By Trinity time fights continue, with human technology just barely keeping the power gap tight.

    -Aberrant destruction: Low powered Aberrants. Aberrants are eventually considered too dangerous to keep around, and are enslaved, imprisoned, sterilized, and executed en masse. Policies continue until few if any Aberrants are left, and what few remain hide their presence. Trinity era psions are raised in an era awash with guilt for the actions of previous generations, and there will be questions about if they can even trust humanity.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Wolfgar View Post
      If power levels weren't high enough, then the mass Exodus of the Aberrants wouldn't have been possible. Depending on how high exactly, we could see a variety of outcomes.

      -Aberrants triumphant: High powered Aberrants, but not high powered enough. The Aberrants are eventually forced into a position that demands they wipe out most of the human population to survive. There is a long, bloody, contracted battle on both sides. Baseline humanity is ultimately crushed and removed from power. Most humans who survive will likely wind up doing cheap menial labor and living in ghettos. By Trinity time expect to see small rebellions of humans try to overthrown the various Aberrant regimes with few successes, but maybe some greater hope with some alien backers.

      Originally posted by Wolfgar View Post
      -Aberrant stalemate: Mid powered Aberrants. Humanity and the Aberrants wind up in a state of perpetual war. The Aberrants aren't strong enough to just leave or crush humanity entirely, so they will try to break off and form their own communities and societies, perpetuating a state of continual cold/hot war with baseline nations. By Trinity time fights continue, with human technology just barely keeping the power gap tight.
      A context of divided high powered Aberrants divided in factions (conquerors, genocidal, pro-cohabitation), or some other group emerges to further complicate things (Psis, Daredevils, aliens, etc) could end up in a virtual stalemate situation.

      Or a number of Novas leaving Earth but not the solar system (powerful but not powerful enough, as previously said), what could, in decades, centuries or even millenia, depending on a crapload of factors (and ST ideas), eventually lead to a second aberrant war or tense diplomatic negotiations to avoid such an event.

      The Aberrant War has more to do with the mentalities of the parts involved than the powers developed per se, i guess. Anteus was one of the sanest Novas around, beside probably one of the few beings in early Aberrant with a power level actually close to Divis Mal, whose actual threat overall has been more in the realm of ideas and politics than the fact metaplot implies he was the actual jumpstart of the Novas and not the Galatea (something unknown to 99,99% of the major people in the setting, if that).

      So, no, changing power level per se won't change things - you can bet the greater part of the Novas weren't Quantum 6+ monters, even during the Aberrant War - but the fact Taint can screw you up mind and body and the more a Nova uses its powers, the greater the chances of accruing it. Add to that their lifespan and competitivity generated by their media darling status and things going badly in the long run seems almost inevitable.
      Last edited by Baaldam; 04-06-2016, 10:43 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Adjunct to Mid-level stalemate;
        Psis end up allying with Aberrants for the simple reason that common, baseline humanity can't tell the difference between an Nova and a Psion any more than the common man in Marvel can tell the difference between a Mutant and an Inhuman. All someone has to do is point out to the psis that "hey...they'll do this to YOU too when they're done with us." This can lead to either a full-on cold war as you described, or a Genosha-like scenario where all "inspired" leave basic humans behind to claim their own area on the world and viciously repelling all others.

        Comment


        • #5
          This might also need some retroactive adjustments to Primoris in Adventure!
          Which could lead to Primoris never becoming alien enough for the events of the early society to occur. The causal repurcussions of changing aberrant power levels have always been problematic when it comes to the setting due to both prequel and sequel drawing strongly on the premise of globe-threatening power.
          The low powered novas of Asia Ascendant provided an excellent balance for the 2120s, but these kind of Novas were the majority of novas during the war era outside of a score or so frighteningly over-powered taint-vessels.
          Let's say Primoris has to reach a certain threshold to follow history - some of the new aberrants of N-day and onward will have the potential to rise up to levels comparable to Primoris/Mal, but until Mal reaches the upward limit of power, we should assume he continues to grow and no new Novas will catch up - it takes Donighal close to a century to go from baseline to unique Crysalis flower. So this character serves as a kind of narrative measuring stick for Quantum powers.
          To successfully battle (i assume) the whole Aeon society, sans Newfield, in the form they are presented in Adventure! will require levels at least comparable to what we already see - and we could assume a never-published A!:PG might have extended that settings powers prior to that battle which thematically ended the period. So maybe even more power might have been needed for Primoris to (at least) survive.

          Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
          Anteus was one of the sanest Novas around beside probably one of the few beings in early Aberrant with a power level actually close to Divis Mal, whose actual threat overall has been more in the realm of ideas and politics than the fact metaplot implies he was the actual jumpstart of the Novas and not the Galatea (something unknown to 99,99% of the major people in the setting, if that).
          Really? I must have missed that, i thought it was something Mal got rolling. Where is this from, if you don't mind?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Nihilist View Post
            This might also need some retroactive adjustments to Primoris in Adventure!
            Which could lead to Primoris never becoming alien enough for the events of the early society to occur. The causal repurcussions of changing aberrant power levels have always been problematic when it comes to the setting due to both prequel and sequel drawing strongly on the premise of globe-threatening power.
            The low powered novas of Asia Ascendant provided an excellent balance for the 2120s, but these kind of Novas were the majority of novas during the war era outside of a score or so frighteningly over-powered taint-vessels.
            Let's say Primoris has to reach a certain threshold to follow history - some of the new aberrants of N-day and onward will have the potential to rise up to levels comparable to Primoris/Mal, but until Mal reaches the upward limit of power, we should assume he continues to grow and no new Novas will catch up - it takes Donighal close to a century to go from baseline to unique Crysalis flower. So this character serves as a kind of narrative measuring stick for Quantum powers.
            To successfully battle (i assume) the whole Aeon society, sans Newfield, in the form they are presented in Adventure! will require levels at least comparable to what we already see - and we could assume a never-published A!:PG might have extended that settings powers prior to that battle which thematically ended the period. So maybe even more power might have been needed for Primoris to (at least) survive.
            Also, it's kind of hard to say if what actually sparked the match of the Aberrant War was the growth of Mal's influence and the Teragen movement, paranoia fueled by misshaps from the part of Proteus/Directive or other groups prone to doing too many underhanded moves before thinking or some spontaneous large scale mishap involved crazed high taint novas like the demented "plague angel" from one of the adventures in Worldwide Phase I.

            Besides, Mal's portrayal always made him sound far like the product of elitist and conceited upbringing under an intellectual veneer than actually transhuman.
            Almost a century after his eruption, he sounds like very much the patronizing aristocrat full conceited positivist racial pseudo-science of the early 20th century he started as.

            Originally posted by Nihilist View Post
            Originally posted by Baaldam
            Anteus was one of the sanest Novas around beside probably one of the few beings in early Aberrant with a power level actually close to Divis Mal, whose actual threat overall has been more in the realm of ideas and politics than the fact metaplot implies he was the actual jumpstart of the Novas and not the Galatea (something unknown to 99,99% of the major people in the setting, if that).
            Really? I must have missed that, i thought it was something Mal got rolling. Where is this from, if you don't mind?
            Tidbits from Worldwide Phase I and more clearlt elaborated upon on the Player's Guide, if memory tricks me not.
            Sorry for the months of silence, somehow missed your message and only caught it today, while binging on Aberrant-related threads today.

            Anyway, my point was that Mal's relevance and weight in the setting has more to do with his discourse, charisma and coming up with Chrysalis than being able to outpunch Caestus Pax or whoever.
            Last edited by Baaldam; 04-06-2016, 11:01 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Patience may be my only virtue.
              -smile-
              Yeah, i know what you mean Baldaam - just reflecting on how the setting seems to ensconce Mal's 'punch-power' above all others - depowering Aberrants as a whole may require looking at Mal and his relevence to the meta-plot too. I always just took Michael Donighal's elitism as a product of his times - Max can avert that to some degree, but Primoris has to experience things from a linear 'chronal' perspective. But in either case, all i was getting at here is that Mal in particular has a minimum power level to adhere to when considering rebalancing nova powers - in a purely meta-plot narrative sense.
              I will have to chase that bit about Balmer up, i thought he didn't even erupt until after N-Day - which kind of conflicts with that suggestion. I suspect.
              -shrug-
              Last edited by Nihilist; 04-07-2016, 12:42 PM. Reason: Word substitution

              Comment

              Working...
              X