Trinity Continuum: Anima

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity Continuum: Anima

I teased one of our planned secondary settings at the Trinity Continuum/Scion/Scarred Lands panel at Gen Con. Understand that nothing's set in stone and things can still change.

It's called Anima, and it's set in 2084 (the same year as Total Recall and Remember Me). Other inspirations include the modern Abstergo bits of Assassin's Creed, and (to some degree) The Matrix.

It's after the end of the Aberrant War, and humanity's still on the road to recovery, about 15 years before the first psions. People seek solace from the horrors of the war by using memory tech, but nothing is as straightforward as it seems on the surface.

There's a reason people in Aeon are leery of invasive hardtech.
    Last edited by IanWatson; 08-04-2015, 09:17 AM.

Ian A. A. Watson
    Onyx Path Community Manager
    Trinity Continuum Lead Developer

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
    I teased one of our planned secondary settings at the Trinity Continuum/Scion/Scarred Lands panel at Gen Con. Understand that nothing's set in stone and things can still change.

It's called Anima, and it's set in 2084 (the same year as Total Recall and Remember Me). Other inspirations include the modern Abstergo bits of Assassin's Creed, and (to some degree) The Matrix.

It's after the end of the Aberrant War, and humanity's still on the road to recovery, about 15 years before the first psions. People seek solace from the horrors of the war by using memory tech, but nothing is as straightforward as it seems on the surface.

There's a reason people in Aeon are leery of invasive hardtech.
    Hmm, a Trinity game drawing on sources such as Philip K Dick novels? I'm in.

Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
    Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

Kinda meh. I like the idea and you can do a lot of things with it, but you putting it in core timeline is imo mistake. You absolutely NEED to showcase alternate timelines, otherwise we get stuck into the same fail, that was original timeline and its fail metaplot, which severely damages the whole idea of Continuum, before you even flesh it out.

Also plothole Alert. All psitech is extremely invasive and this division feels very arbitrary and nonsensical.

Comment

I'm fine with it; I have no problem with inserting eras between the existing ones, or adding new ones before Adventure!/after Æon — though I agree with zorb42's contention that the first new era you publish probably shouldn't be in line with the core three, just to definitively establish the expanse of the Continuum. Much like how White Wolf followed Mage: the Awakening with Promethean: the Created, in part to establish that they were not going to be chained to the oWoD's publishing sequence.

As for Anima, the line about invasive hardtech makes me think that it might be TC's take on cyberpunk.

Comment

It's most likely post Aberrant War because they felt that was the best set-up for what they wanted to do with the setting. Getting hung up over whether to publish within a certain timeline or start branching out to alt timelines immediately is just creatively limiting for no good reason.

I also don't care, frankly, because it's really easy to not have the Aberrant War really matter in my Aberrant game.

Comment

Anima sounds really cool. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

Comment

Long time/first time and this is completely the wrong thread but...
              I never really got into Adventure! Of the 3 series, I found it the silliest, most difficult to reconcile with the continuity (though we called it something else then) and wasn't sure what to do with Paramorphs. And because of that, while I'm definitely going to buy Aeon, I was least jazzed about the default modern Talents setting. Until I saw Mission: Impossible Rogue Nations.

Alec Baldwin's CIA Director Hunley refers to Ethan Hunt as
              "the living manifestation of destiny,"
              and for some reason that has me absolutely tickled to give Daredevils a try in a modern setting. I realize that the original was modular enough that I could have just made it a modern setting but I'm a total stickler for canon and backstory. I don't think it'd take me more than 4 hours to create the Uber setting using Aberrant but keep saying "heh, let's just say Slider wasn't murder after all and see where that takes us..."

At any rate, I'm very patiently very much looking forward to being able to play a Jason Statham-esque character within this system. Maybe he'll live long enough to bag a Nova.

Comment

Welcome to the board Queen Anne Country. Daredevil/Paramorph/Talents are a delightful breed and the quote captures them well. I'm sorry your post may get lost in the following 'serious business' on the internet...
                -smile-
                Post Aberrant war, Great leap upward time period is one i have spent much time with. This was the last sanctuary of hard science, utilized to take us into space. If you turn those possibilities into something resembling the Matrix or Total Recall, then i fear for hard science fiction in the greater continuum.
                Will the technology and elements from this period also be available in Aeon's 2120's? How many of the established series events in the later setting will be affected by the technology planned for this one? How are we going to refer to individual Aberrant Quantum power-suites when the same word now refers to another setting, will it be context sensitive?
                If you had listed others sources/influences on the setting, maybe it would allay my fears, but these were the post-crash years - the earth is tainted and scarred, the only hope worth pursuing may lie off-world. Why would we send out generational arks as a species if we are made to be comfortable here in the ashes of the world? I feel this could miss out on the potential of the crash and the desperate space-flight i had envisioned - and all i can do is hope it doesn't invalidate years of writing and thinking on my part.
                Matrix has some grungy sets, but few outside of it's machine world scenes seem like the world needs rebuilding and i can entirely do without it's psuedo intellectual ramblings and shallow characters (apologies to fans, personal opinion here). Clarifying whether you intended Total Recall as the Phillip K Dick book or the Schwarzenegger movie would be helpful - i would have assumed the former, but pairing it with the Matrix makes me uncertain as to your intent.
                Apologies for the cynicism, it's just one of those days. I look forward (in both excitement and fear) to hearing more about the details here - because this is the make or break extra era for me and i have no control over where it's headed.
                Screw the Sardonyx rules, i want open setting development.
                -blush-
                Last edited by Nihilist; 08-05-2015, 11:50 AM. Reason: Replied more to Queen Anne Country

Comment

That's a lot of supposition based on a couple of short sentences.

I see no reason why anything we say has to invalidate anything you've decided upon.

Ian A. A. Watson

Comment

I see no reason why anything we say has to invalidate anything you've decided upon.
                    And I feel this just made my case for me. Yes it does. This setting will establish, what did actually happen after Abberant war for Aeon backstory. It will be set in stone and unchangeable. Potential to actually fail this in eyes of many is hard and by putting it in core timeline YOU will set it in stone as core and hard backstory for Aeon. This is rather important and I am with nihilist on this, these influences really do not invoke setting, which would lead to Aeon well. You are deeply underestimating what people will think , if you do not keep information stream going.

Comment

Like i said, it's been one of those days, please forgive my passion for Trinity. I don't know what was discussed on the panel, so i'm likely guilty of some knee-jerk reaction. I should've waited for more details before replying. Actually, what the publishers say does matter to me, because i'm expecting it to be pretty good so far. But, some more details would be helpful in nailing down exactly what we're discussing.
                      I have no idea what to think based on the OP, Matrix and Total Recall and Remember Me are all over the place outside of their shared techno-psychological themes. I want to hear more, if not about the setting details themselves, then about intent and connectivity with the setting that we do actually know. I am a little sensitive on the period you chose, having thought a lot about it during 2120's preludes and re-reads, which is about all i know about those years.
                      Without imagination on my part driving these suppositions there isn't much to reply to, with all due respect. I'm willing to consider a 2084 setting, it's one of my favourite periods, in which i saw some kind of technological hard sci-fi post apocalypse with in-system space travel - i like the notion of detailing the techno-phobia of the 2120s - because i embraced that, so much that i'm also iffy on how you will reintroduce ubiquitous wireless.
                      -glares suspiciously at developers-
                      But, i'm willing to listen, when you're ready to explain.
                      I know you have reasons to keep mum, but some clarifications or expansion would certainly be interesting food for thought. The alternate settings are fascinating, but we know too little to discuss them with any consequence.
                      Last edited by Nihilist; 08-05-2015, 11:57 AM. Reason: word substitution

Comment

Originally posted by zorb42 View Post
                        It will be set in stone and unchangeable.
                        Last August, Ian said:

I'm on board with having a few conflicting histories, which only serve to reinforce the quantum-wibbly nature of the Continuum.

I had hoped that statement would prevent the cries of "this invalidates my head canon" that occur whenever a publisher updates a setting.

Ian: sounds awesome. Looking forward to it.

Comment

There is no such thing as "set in stone and unchangeable" in any RPG, and that goes doubly for the Continuum.

The timestream is a fluid thing. An infinite number of histories can lead to this present, which can spawn an infinite number of futures.

We're showing you what we think is a fun setting which takes place in between Aberrant and Aeon. If it doesn't match what you'd already decided on, neat! Maybe yours is better. We're never going to say it's wrong.

Ian A. A. Watson

Comment

There is no such thing as "set in stone and unchangeable" in any RPG, and that goes doubly for the Continuum.

The timestream is a fluid thing. An infinite number of histories can lead to this present, which can spawn an infinite number of futures.

We're showing you what we think is a fun setting which takes place in between Aberrant and Aeon. If it doesn't match what you'd already decided on, neat! Maybe yours is better. We're never going to say it's wrong.
                            This has been a fun thread this evening, i hope i'm not dragging it down, i just want the setting to be as good as it can be.
                            I don't really see what you have in mind for this setting that couldn't be done with late aberrant (comic book super-science heaven with kaiju) or pre-trinity (sci-fi recovery and early space colonization). I'm interested to see the results, because there are intelligent and creative ideas behind it. I just assumed you would be detailing settings that couldn't really work within the 'three pillar' settings (like the 70's-80's movie setting i've heard is in the core book), but Trinity already does hard sci-fi and post-apocalypse pretty well so my suggestions aren't any better, i admit. Perhaps i'd assumed an aberrant war setting was the most natural inbetween-time for Aberrant and Aeon.
                            Bates used the term "tonal distinctions" in reference to the differences between Aberrant and Trinity, but the little i know leaves me wondering what else is different in Anima that it couldn't have just been a throwback Sci-Fi Aeon game.
                            Thanks for the replies, Ian - it's always compelling to know you're listening.
                            P.S. You seem to have a pretty good grip on the structure of time relating to the continuum, can't wait to hear more about that either.
                            Last edited by Nihilist; 08-05-2015, 01:35 PM. Reason: Okay, my edits are out of control... I think i need a break. -smile-

Comment

Originally posted by zorb42 View Post
                              It will be set in stone and unchangeable. Potential to actually fail this in eyes of many is hard and by putting it in core timeline YOU will set it in stone as core and hard backstory for Aeon.
                              You could always do what I do with anything from earlier timelines that doesn't mesh with your take on Aeon - ignore it. I ignored HUGE amounts of what came out in Aberrant (and later Trinity books) that didn't do it for me. For the players in our group that loved Aberrant, I just made sure they imagined it had never been published (and anything else mentioning Novas) when I ran Trinity games. Worked perfectly.

Trinity Continuum G+ Fan Community
                              H.S.U.

Comment

Working...
                              X