No announcement yet.

Pychomorphs vs Psions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's less headcanon and more straight from the mouths of Bates and Baugh. "Inspiration" is (at least in Adventure!) used for all three types because no one of the era really understands how any of them actually work. It's not meant to indicate that Adventure!'s Inspired use something different than their later incarnations, or that daredevils have a third power source.

Ian A. A. Watson
    Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

Apologies for misreading your post, Dataweaver. Teleportation for daredevils must have sent me into a blind fanboy rage for a moment there.
      -shakes it off-
      There is some level of ambiguity in the Adventure! material about Mercer's Chronal Awareness, he seems capable (if reluctant) of fleecing time for more blatant effects in the fiction - but the material suggests Mercer plays his cards close and takes a while to reveal his capabilities to those around him. The sidebar purporting to deal with the unique 'Paramorph' knack is basically flavor text that can be boiled down to deus ex machina, so concrete definition of what the only full-Mercer paramorph is actually capable of is woefully limited.
      So very little can be inferred out of a sample group of one. Maybe Mercer was just personally careful to keep his more obvious tricks concealed, maybe Mercer had other options he eschewed for specialization in time, maybe Mercer was mischaracterized in some or all of the books and the truth is something we can't guess at? Unless a kind dev steps in to offer us some kind of insight, there just isn't much to say about Paramorphs (as opposed to talents/daredevils) apart from them being different somehow from other, more detailed phenomena.
      Which brings me to Neall. I can't say i wouldn't be trolling the forums just like you are if i was in your position, the tears must be delicious. Watching people grope about blindly in the dark is one of the joys STs can receive a guilty pleasure from, teasing revelations to those in the dark is like taking candy from babies. How about an elaborate hoax, or even better; a twisted heap of truth and troll we'll be unraveling for years? You've already broken time, why stop there when there is more trolling to be done?
      -smile-
      The 'third inspiration' is just jargon on my behalf, i think i took it from Donighal's musings on the topic. Those same musings touch on the super-human Donighal having nothing more than theories concerning the mechanism of the so-called third inspiration, even his close proximity to Max during the early years seems to have yielded no further clues - in fact i think Donighal only conflates the two out of a reflexive Occam's razor when considering how different Mercer is from other inspired he has studied.
      -shrug-
      Possibly there is some kind of mechanism hidden in the sub-quantum noetic realm, as Zorb42 suggests. If the numbers for the inspirations by population suggested in Ian's ST guide still hold, the frequency of dynamic knack actions should be high enough to get some answers during the Aeon era. Indeed, Asia Ascendant makes some inroads to tying daredevils into the post-superscience Nippon Superiors - but this was likely the result of Nihonjin remnant technology, not the human-graspable science of 2120. Otherwise, the mysterious 'third' inspiration remains mysterious and unquantifiable - which would have been my preference given the lack of support in the noetics material i had.
      Last edited by Nihilist; 08-12-2015, 10:44 PM. Reason: Removed 5% dumb

Comment

My own view and how I explained it to a few of my players who at the time were on the young side.

You are looking at a lake, you see the water which is the quantum universe. You can't see the bottom, but you know it is there. When you throw a rock into the lake the ripples and dirt thrown up from the bottom are tellurgenic waves the mixing of both elements.

Comment

There are clearly some interesting things going on in the Adventure! setting that aren't well placed in the greater cosmos of Noetic/Quantum/Telluric reality, like Donighal and Mercer getting unique doses of the Hammersmith effect that set them apart from others and the places that appeared during those years and were never mentioned again, having presumably disappeared being the first to come to mind. It's wonderful genre work, but it does leave some loose threads - another page from Donighal's work a few years later might have cleared it all up - he's the best named source we have from the period on these details.
          Incbill's metaphor seems to fit on casual inspection, the source material lacks a warning against too much power for Daredevils/Paramorphs, while Novas have taint and Psions have dysfunction as game systems - so it's easy to assume theirs is a naturally balanced path. Although i think manipulating probabilities comes with it's own set of long term problems down the line...

Comment

The Hammersmith explosion imbued Mercer and Donighal with extra powers specifically because they were close to the centre of the explosion and received its full effects. Most people in the world -- or even most people in that room -- did not.

Donighal didn't receive anything unusual, per se, just a lot of it. He's got the power of a nova in an era of stalwarts. By the time the Nova Age catches up, he's obviously stronger yet. His capabilities aren't anything a PC couldn't achieve, he just (mostly) gets there first.

Mercer's abilities are (thus far) unique, predominantly because of the difference in how paramorph abilities function vs. novas powers. Novas are generally a gradual progression of power, while paramorphs have discrete energy plateaus. Most Talents function at the first plateau, where they're generally regarded as lucky or skilled. Max was given a huge influx -- even more than Donighal -- which shoved him all the way up to the next plateau.

I'm planning on detailing exactly how that works. Not in the core, certainly, but later. While Max may be unique for the duration of the existing Continuum, your PCs should potentially be able to join him.

Ian A. A. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
              I tried to like your reply more, but found i couldn't. Rest assured i had unliked and re-liked a few times before even realizing.
              -smile-
              Sometimes it's more painful knowing how close we are to getting more Trinity, do you have anything you can share regarding how you might approach detailing Hammersmith and its results? Plateaus are something i've long imagined for Daredevil/Paramorphs, of course not with any word to go with it, so i can't wait to see that in action - it's going to be tough to follow up the daredevil/talent. Will these plateaus be detailed in the core book? It seems unlikely you will go into Mercer-scale Paramorphs in the first book, but if this is a documented evolution for talents then it will probably bear mentioning.

What about the 'telluric' locations, the "Lost worlds and hidden realms" from Gettel's dispatches? Have you any notions you could share on how they occured?

Note to Neall: All due respect, but this is how it's done - Ian has told me next to nothing new, but now i'm tearing my hair out in anticipation.
              -tease-
              Last edited by Nihilist; 08-13-2015, 01:14 AM. Reason: Removed quote from context, then removed quote

Comment

Considering how unique Mercer's case seems to be, do we even have enough data to say for sure "Paramorph" is actually something that exists and he is not "just" a very peculiar Psiad or Nova?

It's a "wait & see" situation overall so far, i guess.

Comment

The developers have confirmed that paramorphs exist as a third kind of empowered human in the Trinity Continuum; so yes, "paramorph" is something that actually exists, and Mercer isn't “merely” a very peculiar psiad or nova.

I rather like the notion that each type of empowerment includes a couple of cases that overlap with the others: psychomorphs have quantikinetics overlapping with eximorphs (and perhaps teleporters overlapping with paramorphs); novas include both “psychic novas” who use quantum powers to mimic telepathy, ESP, and other traditionally psion-like powers, and novas who manipulate probability and time. We don't know enough about paramorphs to know for sure; but I wouldn't mind “second plateau” paramorphs with hypercompetence (see Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt; also see Exalted), as well as paramorphs who tend to have hunches that are almost like a psychic awareness.

All that said, I also hope that each type of empowerment has its own niché where it’s the best: e.g., eximorphs who can read minds shouldn't be as good at it as psychomorph telepaths are, just as quantikinetics aren't as good at the physical augmentation thing as novas are.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                    The developers have confirmed that paramorphs exist as a third kind of empowered human in the Trinity Continuum; so yes, "paramorph" is something that actually exists, and Mercer isn't “merely” a very peculiar psiad or nova.
                    So basically beyond 4th wall knowledge, with no actual setting weight so far. Fine.

Comment

It's pretty straightforward. By the Nova Age, researchers have a decent working knowledge on how novas work. Project Tantalus is therefore aware that Mercer's abilities don't use Quantum.

Project Pandora knows there are some powered individuals -- psiads -- who don't use Quantum either. In fact, their powers seem to interfere with nova use of Quantum. Mercer's abilities do not have that interference.

By the Aeon Era, psi-based phenomena are better-understood, and anyone with the capability to check can verify that, in fact, Mercer's abilities use neither Quantum or Psi.

He must, therefore, be neither a nova nor a psiad, but something else entirely.

Ian A. A. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                        Project Pandora knows there are some powered individuals -- psiads -- who don't use Quantum either. In fact, their powers seem to interfere with nova use of Quantum. Mercer's abilities do not have that interference.
                        So you are continuing, that crappy power disruption bits, which never made any sense and would just destroy simple system you are going for?

Comment

"…and have you stopped beating your wife?"

Comment

The disruption makes sense from the view point of the TC. The golden rule applies ignore it if you don't like it. Psions and Novas should disrupt each other an opposed roll for powers to work or as a form of defense against makes for more compelling stories. It also adds a difficulty to working together which again makes for more compelling stories. I'm anxiously awaiting the new system and have nothing but good feelings from what has been revealed.

Comment

Working...
                            X