Tertiary Singularity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tertiary Singularity

In Asia Ascendant (p73), Rushing Mountain of the Nihonjin remnants went into "Tertiary Singularity" while exploring Beta Canum Venaticorum. It further stipulates that Rushing Mountain isn't taint-mad (yet), but is now considered too dangerous to remain part of the Star Project.
    So what is Tertiary Singularity?
    I gathered this is a kind of taint-induced psychosis - the rest of the revelation is a bit nonsensical (civilization, really?). There must be a primary and secondary 'singularity' to go with this jargon - i assume the singularity refers to a kind of insular world-view, ramping up to a complete collapse of relations to humans and perhaps other aberrants too, progressively. At least that's the conclusion i leapt to, are there any other destinations i could explore in trying to understand this piece of advanced, taint-related jargon? It seems to gel with the idea of Aberrant 'templates' being too deeply saturated in Taint that psionic activity becomes weakened against them in some ways - which i think comes from the Noetics TFR, because both illustrate an object progressively diverging from the deepest known layer of reality in different ways.
    I had my hands on this piece of jargon a few times in game and applied lower levels (are lower numbers worse or better?) of singularity to certain NPC elder remnants, so i have my own definition settled to some degree, but not so much that i couldn't adapt any clever ideas.
    Where did your mind go trying to figure "tertiary singularity" out? Is it a physiological condition, that you can see occurring in the brain and perhaps manifesting elsewhere? Is it a psychological/noetic phenomena invisible to the naked eye? Who was Rushing Mountain? Was her singularity the ultimate cause of the Star Project closing down? What other singularities are there and what are the differences? Using Divis Mal as a measure of average Nova lifespan, when did it become an issue for him in your opinion? What about other novas?
    Last edited by Nihilist; 08-15-2015, 07:06 AM. Reason: Page number and further questions.

Just so I'm clear this is the Nova that may or may not have had a hand on the planet that the Coalition was doing space strip mining on correct?
    I believe this was an attempt to add a color phrase instead of saying the Nova reached a taint score of say 7.

Comment

I always figured it was a new Aeon-era term for the Chrysalis. Tertiary Singularity would be Rushing Mountain's second (or third?) Chrysalis.

Ian A. A. Watson
      Onyx Path Community Manager
      Trinity Continuum Lead Developer

Comment

Originally posted by lncbill View Post
        Just so I'm clear this is the Nova that may or may not have had a hand on the planet that the Coalition was doing space strip mining on correct?
        I believe this was an attempt to add a color phrase instead of saying the Nova reached a taint score of say 7.
        Yes, Rushing Mountain is who you suspect, but i don't think that what we saw so briefly on Beta Canum Venaticorum was ever really elaborated on. Was there a space-mad ex-remnant lurking about during the attack, or like Ian suggests, was there a Chrysalis occuring somewhere on the planet? We still needed to ascertain where the coalition got it's first taste of quantum - which it made into furies, too.
        Yes, the general intent of "taint-levels critical" was clear enough, i'm looking for the details individual imaginations spun out of that line.

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
        I always figured it was a new Aeon-era term for the Chrysalis. Tertiary Singularity would be Rushing Mountain's second (or third?) Chrysalis.
        I seem to remember that idea crossing my mind, but i decided that "chrysalis" was the superior term and discarded it. I blame my young brain at the time. But, realistically - Chrysalis is only really mentioned in the Teragen source (as far as i recall). So, other factions using different terminology would be an entirely acceptable definition to reach. Thanks for reminding me of this interpretation, much more elegant than mine. The wording of the Asia Ascendant piece seems to support your version better than it supports mine - any notions where the 'singularity' lexicon could have come from?
        Last edited by Nihilist; 08-16-2015, 02:35 PM. Reason: memetic origins

Comment

Working...
        X