Quantakinetics and the new edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quantakinetics and the new edition

The Chitra Bhanu order will be disbanded like in the old edition (i don't expect the setting to change that much) but as survivors or renegades it will be possible to play as a quantakinetic in the new edition? Playing a chib with canon rules would be awesome.
    Last edited by Starkiller; 09-01-2015, 05:24 PM.

A list of what has been spoiled thus far has been compiled by Chill, and is quite informative.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...l=en&forcehl=1

Comment

I believe the QKs will be on the table, eventually, although it might take a bit. As far as I know, there really wasn't ever a system in play for them to begin with aside from a little bitty bit in the Player's Guide and whatever was cooked up in the fan supplement. So, it might wind up being a player's guide/player's option kind of thing instead of right out of the starting gate, or it might be slap dab in the core, hard to say, but we should see it eventually.

Comment

As an aside, I would note that India Underground, the quantakinetic sourcebook, was really good for a fan supplement.

Comment

I'll admit, i'm kind of pulling for OPP to canonize some bits of Fan supplements, the notion that the Chibs had developed reliable noetic/medical treatment of taint prior to the purge is just a wonderful tragedy and excellent characterization for the Doyen. The Noetics book was another i treated with a degree of canonicity. It would be sloppy indexing to have QK detailed outside of the core Aeon/Psionics book, all the core powers for Psions/proto-psions/psiads/whatever should be found there just for completeness sake, in my humble opinion.
          Isn't that what doing away with the meta-plot should yield?
          Last edited by Nihilist; 09-02-2015, 04:37 AM. Reason: Vampiric Disciplines are not Aptitude Modes and vice versa

Comment

Theoretically, although it depends where we start on the timeline. The Chitra Bhanu are already purged as of the very start of Trinity, for instance. So whether that counts as setting or metaplot is a bit up in the air. At that point, it would be easy to have a supplement for "here is QK if you want events where the Chitra Bhanu come back, or for alt timelines where they were never purged, or if a new group develops Quantakinesis."

Comment

Maybe i've misunderstood the purpose of the original Meta-plot a bit, but i thought getting rid of it for this edition would pretty much put all the cards on the table. What if you wanted to play Aeon in the year 2104 or something when the Chibs and Upeo were just like the other orders, will that require another book? It just seems to be the same kind of 'supplement mill' philosophy to leave an aptitude out, splitting up the relevant information into other books further down the line.
              -shrug-
              Otherwise, i can totally see Quantakinesis being saved for a PG or something - i just thought they were trying to avoid that...
              -scratches head-
              A supplement of their own seems a bit much, Unless Order/Locale books are being planned, i thought the idea was to publish less, but make it denser and more utilitarian/useful/universal. An optional supplement isn't really something i've heard suggested yet - seems too risky for OPP at this stage of publication.

Sorry, i'm getting a bit off topic now. But, i'm pretty confident that QK will get an official write-up sometime in the new edition, when is the only issue, i think.

Comment

Splitting quantakinesis into another rulebook has as much to do with metaplot as, say, having Gargoyles in the Guide to the Camarilla instead of in the core VTM rulebook. i.e. it has nothing to do with metaplot at all.

Ian A. A. Watson
                Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

Yes, i think i may have to redefine my understanding of the term. Apologies for the confusion, thanks for setting me straight.

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sure setting is whatever is in the main book as first presented, and then metaplot is an in-universe change to that setting presented in a setting, that is is then acknowledged by future supplements while past supplements still remain "canon", for lack of a better term.

So, "There were 13 clans of Bungsnappers, but clan Herzegovinia was wiped out centuries ago" is a setting element. "In Time of Poor Decision-Making, clan Herzegovinia is wiped out to nothing when the clan founder is destroyed by the Autocrats during the Week of Poor Stress Management", is meta-plot. "Clan Runcible has developed the ability to mind control oranges after the founder drank too much radioactive OJ in Rage Across Tropicana" is a meta-plot rules change; "No, you can no longer use Taxidermy in place of Medicine, that was stupid of us" is just a normal rules change.

Comment

How delightfully colourful. I'll refer to this example in the future if i'm ever confused. Thanks.
                      -smile-
                      I still regard placing a single aptitude outside of the core aptitude section to be a bit messy, if QK auxilliaries are still viable and Teleportation is now core material (as i believe is stated in the 'what we know' document), it just seems like QK would belong with the rest. For ease of reference if nothing else.
                      It's of little matter, just a notion.

Comment

Aye, for ease of reference I would rather it be in the main book. My only concern is if they don't have time to properly develop it. Also, depending on how psionic powers work, we might see a fair amount of spread over multiple books anyway; the waveform has yet to collapse on this point.

Comment

True, i was imagining the two-three pages required for the way Aptitudes worked in the 1st edition, i have no particular reason to assume they will follow the same conventions. Just trying to improvise with what i have.

Comment

Quantakinesis needs to be thematically resonant, with Nova powers, otherwise there is really no point to it. It is not unique powerset. It is mirror of quantum one and thus really needs to be that , otherwise it is just bland and pointless. You could give it weirdo properties, to keep it unique, but those are Daredevil powers. Writing it before Abberant books is therefore dangerous and I think a long term mistake.

Comment

I'm not sure. In some ways I think if Quantakinesis has more room to toddle off and be it's own thing rather than just being "the psion power that affects nova powers" it might give it more justification for existing in setting. Powers that affect other powers and nothing else always seemed kinda weird and overly meta to me.

Nova powers, if I'm getting the gist of where things are going, seem to be moving more towards the direction of greater versatility, so it really might be hard to directly tie Quantakinetics to them at all.
                              Last edited by Wolfgar; 09-05-2015, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X