Time Travel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Travel

Has anyone used or experienced the Time Travel powers from the Aberrant Player's Guide? I'll be introducing it to my current game in the next few weeks and I wanted to hear some other groups experiences with it. One of the PC, who is obsessed with time travel, will be coming back from the future, like Hiro from Heroes, to save the group from a brutal fate.

I have no direct experience with time travel in games, no, but I it sounds cool. Let us know how it works out.

Comment

I haven't used the power per se, but I have run a few games that involved time travel. I'm a HUGE fan of the idea of Time Travel.

What you're doing sounds like a cool idea though.

MrGone's Character Sheets
      For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs

Comment

My game is very low key power wise. I wanted it to be more like Heroes and not the JLA. All of the PCs are descendants of people who were present at the White Sands nuclear test. Dr.Primoris was a friend and colleague of Oppenheimer and Tesla. While the nuclear test was happening, Primoris had a machine in an underground bunker that he was using to collect the quantum released in the detonation. The machine itself detonated and people around it were all bathed in quantum radiation. Some developed powers and some did not.
        While the group found the plans for the machine, the one PC was certain that it was a time machine. He was almost obsessed with it being that. It also happens that PC has teleport as his main power. I thought it fitting that he be the one to come back and help them survive what is coming.

Comment

I've actually run a game that used A LOT of time travel (though like Mr. Gone not the power from the APG). I had a version of one of my players temporarily replace his past self to try to change events. While he was replaced I actually had the player play his future self so that it would be a surprise for the rest of the party. The player knew he had to keep the party safe, but also wasn't supposed to reveal his true nature. I took over the character at the point his true nature was revealed (and his past self was back). They players all seemed to really enjoy the surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Slagheap View Post
            I've actually run a game that used A LOT of time travel (though like Mr. Gone not the power from the APG). I had a version of one of my players temporarily replace his past self to try to change events. While he was replaced I actually had the player play his future self so that it would be a surprise for the rest of the party. The player knew he had to keep the party safe, but also wasn't supposed to reveal his true nature. I took over the character at the point his true nature was revealed (and his past self was back). They players all seemed to really enjoy the surprise.

Sounds like Logan from Days of Future Past. I was thinking of incorporating the Crosstime Travel power as well. He could be a future PC from an alternate reality where something bad happened on his side and He comes to prevent it here.

Comment

Be very, very careful; as soon as you make Time Travel possible, you open up the possibility of your characters replicating it in a controlled way, rather than engaging in the plot. I played in a game where the PCs got a time machine which could only go to certain pre-defined times, for safety and simplicity (those times had been identified as key to changing the timeline by the creator... just go with it). One of the PCs literally spent multiple sessions doing nothing but making rolls to try to understand the language it was written in, then trying to 'break' the locks, until the ST finally let him do it just to get him engaged in the actual happenings.

From that point, there was little to no plot. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but absolutely brutal for the ST, and overall kind of thematically unsatisfying.

My Commandments for GMs My Commandments for Players

Comment

Originally posted by Allan53 View Post
                Be very, very careful; as soon as you make Time Travel possible, you open up the possibility of your characters replicating it in a controlled way, rather than engaging in the plot. I played in a game where the PCs got a time machine which could only go to certain pre-defined times, for safety and simplicity (those times had been identified as key to changing the timeline by the creator... just go with it). One of the PCs literally spent multiple sessions doing nothing but making rolls to try to understand the language it was written in, then trying to 'break' the locks, until the ST finally let him do it just to get him engaged in the actual happenings.

From that point, there was little to no plot. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but absolutely brutal for the ST, and overall kind of thematically unsatisfying.

I have those concerns as well but, I won't be giving it to them per se. Its a PC from a possible future with the power. I actually spoke to the player about his plans for the characters future and he said that time travel was not one of them. It will be completely up to me when the time traveller will pop in and out.

Comment

Working...
                X