Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

Spelljammer-related?
    I just wanted two suns and a big-ass Jupiter thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfgar View Post

I just wanted two suns and a big-ass Jupiter thing.
      A bit of Tatooine with some Endor mixed in, certainly works fine.
      A friend once did a D&D game riffing on Star Wars with a flying castle/fallen god's chariot for Death Star, with PCs attacking it in an aerial dogfight riding dragonets against undead beholders.
      Last edited by Baaldam; 10-28-2015, 06:55 AM.

Comment

This is news to me, but Trinity has Hyper Fusion? I must have completely missed that in my readings. I knew they had some near cold-fusion like technology I just never considered it "magic" fusion. I just thought it was a more refined and less costly system.

On topic, never liked generation ships myself, I can guess at the appeal though. Another useful resource for SF and Space Travel in particular has been http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/

Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist. --Academician Prokhor Zakharov

Comment

It was I believe a refined type of "cold fusion". A Nova development that our benevolent masters I mean the Aeon Society allowed Humanity to keep.

Comment

Is "hyper-fusion" really a form of "cold fusion"? Taking into account we are discussion pseudo science in a game, my impression on reading the side bar section of the Trinity book, it is hot fusion in a ridiculously small machine, about the size of a bathroom.

Here is another question, in space, what are those thrusters pushing? Since the main book did not explain, I will tell my players it is gravitons.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Zero View Post
              Is "hyper-fusion" really a form of "cold fusion"? Taking into account we are discussion pseudo science in a game, my impression on reading the side bar section of the Trinity book, it is hot fusion in a ridiculously small machine, about the size of a bathroom.

Here is another question, in space, what are those thrusters pushing? Since the main book did not explain, I will tell my players it is gravitons.
              That was the impression i took from the hyper-fusion side-bar. Although i could probably bear to re-read it after so long - maybe do some more feasibility research. But, i don't currently have access to my books, so maybe later...
              If it's of any consolation to Zhad, the books spend as little time drawing attention to this little bit of magic thinking as possible and i truly believe the setting would be better off with a hard-science power-source. I'm no nuclear physicist, but this is pretty close to what some currently graspable, unbuilt technology might be able to approach given the right funding and impetus. This is a hundred years in the future, using current levels of technological advances as a trajectory - i personally don't think much aberrant-magic would be necessary.
              Space isn't a true vacuum, at least not in a pure, 100% approach. Also, Ion drives tend to rely more on shedding mass at great speed in the opposite direction than on pushing off of anything - at least as far as i understand it. Wolfgar recently outed an association with rocket scientists, perhaps more knowledgeable sources than i can correct any folley of mine.
              Last edited by Nihilist; 11-03-2015, 05:07 PM. Reason: True vacuum is coming for us all...

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Zero View Post
                Simply, your expelling propellent that is what is providing thrust and moving you through space because you are adjusting your rest mass by accelerating the propellent away from you. Remember Newton's laws? For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction? That is how spacecraft travel through space without pushing against anything but their own thrust. Also how fireworks work.

An ion drive uses very little propellent expelled at high speeds, usually a few atoms at a time, to get from a to be. Great for low-mass spacecraft or if you have alot to time to get where you want to go. Remember you have to spend just as much time decelerating to reach your destination as your spaceship took accelerating to get there, if you want to land on or orbit your destination.

The more common fusion torch is basically using the energy of a fusion reaction to provide the thrust for your spacecraft, which means you can go really fast, really quickly, enough to actually generate a perceptible sense of "gravity" in the direction of the engines (which is why really big ships are kinda designed like office buildings). So in short the thrusters shoot out jets of high-energy plasma siphoned off from the reaction chamber and accelerated via magnetic coils out into space. So almost like a pimped out ion-drive.

You can read more on the subject here: http://www.projectrho.com/public_htm...torchships.php

Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist. --Academician Prokhor Zakharov

Comment

Working...
                X