Aberrant OpNet vs Trinity OpNet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll have to look that up...
    Damn, Wolfgar - i haven't even heard of that before, i may to check Eclipse Phase out post-haste.
    But, excuse me and carry on, Eclipse Phase has it's own forums....

Care to define what you mean briefly for those of us without experience in these tactical networks? Just party range, group coms/telepathy? Certainly decreases the 'what you know' roleplaying work-load and it's an increasingly common resource in our daily lives making sci-fi without it seem throwback. I can jive with custom-coded party transmissions between local receivers without too much interference - but i might assume that information networks of this type would become filthy with nasty code and might be illegal to maintain when connected to a greater web. Wireless access could be outright dangerous without the extreme measures that make it so expensive in 2120, as i think about it.

Comment

Well, in Eclipse Phase, tactical networks rely on hooking up multiple characters to one augmented reality/sensory recording feed, so everyone in the group can see, hear, and even smell and taste what everyone else in the group experiences and chooses to share. What this means at the table is that players all can be in the same scene and readily participate easily, and there isn't a whole of of clunky, "Okay, Mischka, I tell your character what Wolfgar just told me about five minutes ago."

Naturally as Eclipse Phase is a horror game, such feeds can be spoofed, hacked, infiltrated and generally mutzed with, but they are far too useful 90% of the time to dispense with.

Comment

Ah TactNets, I've heard of this idea before I found it interesting but ultimately as Wolfgar describes this version impossible to use in any intense situation. What kills TactNets like this are two things, first the limits on data-processing of the human mind secondly the bandwidth allowance (+latency) of your communications network. A TactNet is great for commanders and AIs can overcome the human data-processing limits (also augmented humans could overcome the first issue). Though I believe Telepaths can make a mental network which basically does the job of a TactNet anyway.

Telecoms in space is at the very least a subject for multiple scores of thesis and probably a serious academic/technical specialty today or in the future. So I'll condense what I have to say in as short a form possible. We are all aware of the lag time between Earth and Luna and that is a microcosm of the much larger issue of sending and receiving messages in just the very small scale of the inner solar system. Anyone recall the New Horizons probe flyby of pluto? Well read up on the technical miracles required to talk to the probe so far out in the solar system its sheer technological witchcraft involving some serious voodoo math.
        What all this comes down to is that wireless communication beyond a local area (think your wifi router range) is almost always done with timed and directed, tight-beam transmissions. Much like our existing comsat networks you'll have stations spread out across the solar system that are just dishes to bounce transmissions off. You can even use planets to bounce your signals off. so you don't always need a dish. But that is the high end "I can throw my money at the problem" type way of getting a transmission across the solar system. Your Joe Hologram would use the cheapest option available, namely regular datapacket exchange transmissions between com relay stations. So think snail mail but with light. I'd wager that an average "email" sent from Earth to Mars would take about a day or a day and a half to make the trip through the com relay network.
        For more secure transmissions I've seen the Trinitiy'verse uses capsules. Which can range from small, disposable, high speed spacecraft set on extremely hyperbolic trajectories to the large cargo type modules you see fired and received by places like Boltzmann station on Luna. Both being very stealthy ways to send stuff too, given that the best way to pick up another ship in space is to look for heat signature of either their radiators or their engines.

If you are willing to get creative you can send and receive transmissions across the solar system in a variety of ways, like with all transmissions though the two big issues you have are the data density (bandwidth) your particular medium allows its clarity (signal strength) nothing sucks more then garbled transmissions. But that is why transmission protocols exist, so you can "guess" the distorted bits of data and get them right.

Also, EVAs with space suits in Trinty should be a last resort thing, as (again) any spacer worth her salt will have autonamous robots that can go out onto the exterior and make repairs. See also Space Fighters 9 times out of 10 should be Lancers (drones). I do agree that tethers should also be able to serve as hardline connectors though it just makes sense for most craft which would have tethers.

On the space fighter note, don't tell me you need to be in the fighter to get the sense of danger, I had my players tense enough when their little corvette and its one locust drone (basically a slightly smaller version of the Orgotek Locust fighter) were fighting a pitched space battle against pirates on their way to Fyuoshi. Danger is all about distance and remote controlled ships can't fly too far away from the control ship so the control ship is in just as much danger as the remote controlled ship. Always remember in space I just need less then a light second be sure that I can kill you with my lasers.

Sorry for the two off-topic paragraphs.

Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist. --Academician Prokhor Zakharov

Comment

Working...
        X