Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iterations of the Colony

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Iterations of the Colony

    So I had an idea, what if the Colony is like the Many from System Shock 2? Listen to these compiled quotes on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp5xGLj1RME


    Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist. --Academician Prokhor Zakharov

  • #2
    Originally posted by Galaxy Master Zhad View Post
    So I had an idea, what if the Colony is like the Many from System Shock 2? Listen to these compiled quotes on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp5xGLj1RME
    Sure, System-Shock is a big influence on how i run sci-fi anyway. Although it's not the foot i was starting on, i can see how you could build from that. Care to elaborate/extrapolate further? Where does the Colonies 'Manyness' come from? How does it influence it's behaviour? There is definitely a point of change in the Colony after the initial attacks on earth - i had always assumed it was a strategic change - the Colony lost too many to continue the head on assault. But there could have been a more personal struggle going on within the ranks of that invasion force too.
    The Invasion force the Colony leads is probably undergoing some serious restructuring after the failure of their main force to capture their objective. So, i found myself focussing more on individual 'captains' or squad-leaders or whatever they call themselves - only illustrating the Colony from their proxy. I was awfully close to having to bite the bullet and have the PCs directly deal the the Colony itself - but that was a tall order i felt.
    In a way, the Colony serves no further purpose than as a plot device. I'd love for some fan-theory to shed some more light on what is going on out there in the aberrant asteroid belt.

    Comment


    • #3
      Well what if the Colony began as an aberrant with power over his/her own biology? What if the Colony later became a creature obsessed with the idea of unifying mankind or even all life in the cosmos into one harmonious whole by means of telepathy and bioengineering everyone into one great mass?

      That is the idea I am entertaining here, given that I have been told there is virtually no information on the Colony itself I find it interesting to speculate on the idea of one of the aberrants with noble if very twisted ideals (which seems to be a common theme amongst them) being something of a background antagonist. It would also create someone who would basically have a field day with all the biotech going on in the Trinity setting. Imagine the Colony taking over an Orgosoft farm to "manufacture" sub-aberrants.

      Although I suspect that might not be possible (or require lots of or specific use of quantum powers to overcome the problem) due to the heavy psionic nature of biotech given to proxies.

      It also allows for a shadowy, grand villain who taunt the heroes from the dark.


      Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist. --Academician Prokhor Zakharov

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Galaxy Master Zhad View Post
        Well what if the Colony began as an aberrant with power over his/her own biology? What if the Colony later became a creature obsessed with the idea of unifying mankind or even all life in the cosmos into one harmonious whole by means of telepathy and bioengineering everyone into one great mass?
        The Colony as a Trinity Zerg is pretty solid. Would be interesting to see if he could co-opt the Coalition somewhere along the way and force the Doyen to make a choice on which horse to back.

        Comment


        • #5
          Out of noob curiosity, what is this "Colony" you speak of, if you pardon my considerable ignorance on what concerns Aeon-era subjects, factions and societies.

          Comment


          • #6
            The Colony is the primary Aberrant leading the attack on Earth and the Colonies that Earth has established. The Colony's grand plan seems to be destroy all colonies and restrict Humanity to Earth preventing a repeat of the Ultimatum that ended the Aberrant War(China threatened to nuke the entire planet from satellite stations if the Aberrants did not leave Earth). The Colony can create sub-aberrants by injecting humans with taint. The Colony was stopped on Mars early in the timeline and driven out of the Sol System only to begin raids on orbital stations com stations etc. The Colony also aligned/co-opted the Coalition by allowing Aberrants to be genetically sampled(raped).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by lncbill View Post
              The Colony is the primary Aberrant leading the attack on Earth and the Colonies that Earth has established. The Colony's grand plan seems to be destroy all colonies and restrict Humanity to Earth preventing a repeat of the Ultimatum that ended the Aberrant War(China threatened to nuke the entire planet from satellite stations if the Aberrants did not leave Earth). The Colony can create sub-aberrants by injecting humans with taint. The Colony was stopped on Mars early in the timeline and driven out of the Sol System only to begin raids on orbital stations com stations etc. The Colony also aligned/co-opted the Coalition by allowing Aberrants to be genetically sampled(raped).
              Sounds to me like most of it must be of pretty shaky sanity, to hang up so much in the past and outdated preocupations, when space is so big and offers nearly infinite options to start anew beyond the sight of baseline humanity - that nearly extinguished itself on its own sometimes before the Aberrants even became a deal.

              Comment


              • #8
                In the Trinity era or at least in the beginning all Aberrants were pretty much insane. Only towards the end of the line did we get still same Novas willing to help Earth.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by lncbill View Post
                  In the Trinity era or at least in the beginning all Aberrants were pretty much insane. Only towards the end of the line did we get still same Novas willing to help Earth.
                  It almost beggars the question of why they went to space in the first place - but all things considered, it would also perfectly possible for the Colony to be no true community, but simply one very, old, demented and Transhuman Aberrant surrounded by a whole hive of spawned super-homunculi, anima-empowered or mutated extensions, not to mention baselines "uplifted" and brainwashed into whole different beings...
                  Last edited by Baaldam; 12-15-2015, 04:11 PM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X