Strange Lands, Lost Worlds...oh, my!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Lands, Lost Worlds...oh, my!

Bringing up what is possibly a pretty obscure little bit of fluff, but does anyone else remember some reference in Adventure to strange or mysterious locales in the vein of Doyle's Lost World, Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth, isolated pulp era Shangri-las and how some, if not all, of these "uncanny places of wonder" might have actually been figments of other dimensions or colaterals of the energies released upon the world by the Hammersmith event?

Am mixing up setting canon with crazy campaign shenanigans or was that actually in the book back then? The matter has crossed my mind of late as i thought of the updated setting multi-reality arrangement.

The section beginning with "Lost Worlds and Hidden Realms" on p. 91 of the Adventure! core, along with the Master of the Inner Earth on p. 241 and the Mighty Gar on p. 242.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Great - wonderful to know i wasn't imagining things in the book. Yes, yes, seeing that section of the Adventure! core the crossover potential with the other eras, Scion or even stranger alternate worlds or subsets of reality seems to shine through. It also brings up some interesting questions/possibilities in relation to Scion's Terrae Incognitae or the potential of parts of certain realities merging or at least "mutating/diverging" due to peculiar events like the Hammersmith, Galatea or others. Little delicious morsel indeed.

Comment

It helps the purposes of having relatively normal characters that can cross over into more fantastic campaign ideas within canon, in a similar manner to the Umbra in WoD. It's great.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfgar View Post
          It helps the purposes of having relatively normal characters that can cross over into more fantastic campaign ideas within canon, in a similar manner to the Umbra in WoD. It's great.
          Indeed, it allows a lot of breathing room between gritty two-fisted action and the more gonzo/fantastic samples of pulp literature bordering on the outright super-heroic or fantastic.

Comment

Lost world adventures was a pretty common theme in a lot of pulp fiction. Doc Savage had ties to ancient secret Aztec/Maya survivors. Pellucidar was an entire series by Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzan visited Pellucidar and regularly encountered remnants of ancient societies off the top of my head, Atlantis,Rome, and Mayan.

Comment

It's also common in superhero fiction: the Savage Lands, Atlantis, Wakanda, Paradise Island, etcetera.

Comment

Indeed, both pulp literature and superhero fiction (that evolved in no small part from pulps) share the theme/conceit of "lost" civilizations in distant lands, a trope that in fact has pretty strong roots in mythology and fantastic literature of past ages, something a little defined and classified in Scion: Demigod under the label/concept of Terrae Incognitae, if memory tricks me not.

Curious correlations that open room for interesting parallels of Legend & Inspiration, not to mention the quantic and noetic energies under the "inspiration" umbrella.
                Last edited by Baaldam; 11-22-2015, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I tend to use alien civilizations in Aeon. I have 3 that I have developed, one is very loosely based on the old Kroft brothers t.v. show Land of the Lost. A second is based on the Gemini, the original inhabitants of Athens. The final are an amphibian race vaguely similar to frogs.

Comment

Originally posted by lncbill View Post
                    I tend to use alien civilizations in Aeon. I have 3 that I have developed, one is very loosely based on the old Kroft brothers t.v. show Land of the Lost.
                    The Sleestaks, you mean?

Originally posted by lncbill View Post
                    A second is based on the Gemini, the original inhabitants of Athens. The final are an amphibian race vaguely similar to frogs.
                    About alien being and Athens' origins, the most i can remember is Cecrops. Any relation?

Comment

Yes, however I have made the race more like serpent men. The race called Ophidians are bipedal, with hands have a cartilage structure in place of traditional bones. The race is for the most part cold blooded at one point the civilization was highly advanced including colony worlds. The race was determined to be a threat to the Collective and the race was targeted for destruction. The Collective destroyed the colonies bombarded the planet with nuclear weapons and sent in both robotic and biological constructs. The Ophidians fought to the bitter end and drove the Collective from the system, but could not drive the invaders from the home world. The Ophidians retreated to four massive bunkers the last effort to ensure survival of their race. Four vessels loaded with the best and brightest trapped because the Collective shut down the star gate like device in the system's Oort Cloud. The characters know only the following going into this: One an ancient civilization existed on this world. Two there is a deactivated gate in this system. Three there are a number of ruins on the planet as well as pockets of high radiation. Four a team of Archeologists will handle the ruins the team's job is to survey the world. Five the artic circle of the world has four massive structures buried under the ice an exploration of one is recommended. This became a primary objective when life signs were detected from orbit. The players and Archeologists however triggered the remaining robotic and biological constructs triggering both a battle on the ice and a desperate rescue of the Archeologists.
                      Other notes: Ophidians are for the most part psi neutral. They are also quanta neutral. Ophidians are quite capable of becoming "Daredevils" the race because of this made a number of impressive advancements including AI computers, computer implants, as well as highly advanced weaponry. The Ophidians were capable of terraforming worlds and were developing modified organisms when the Collective destroyed their civilization.

Comment

This is a very fun element of adventure that i wish had got some support from the other books in the series. The possibilities can really open up once you go pedal to the metal on this - one of the reasons why i like the prime earth-realm (or whatever) to be kind of mundane in some ways, it obeys physics, mostly history is as ours. But, you can find yourself in places that may not even KNOW they are related to a place called earth, there all bets are off. Roger rabbit's toon town, John Carter's Mars, event horizon's "hell", Shambhala, a copernican solar system, a biblical firmament, a sci-fi "hyperspace" for ftl and any number of planet X - heaps of potential for world-building and adventure.
                        I'd be rather interested in seeing how these lost places interact with the N-day and Venezuela effects - does Shambhala return in the NCE c.2122? I've previously mentioned a silly adventure realm eventually fighting a war with novas shortly prior to the aberrant war, an alien invasion for the super-hero aspect of the game to fight off.
                        Glad to see them being addressed here.

Comment

Yes, the "quantum entanglement/not clear if same or alternates timelines" new set-up for the setting opens things up for a great variety of possibilities of scenario customization, crossovers, new places, beings & groups and a bunch of other fun stuff. really curious about how things will turn out.

Comment

As an aside, i have this crazy nagging idea of utterly mashing up Scion and Aberrant, with Novas as some peculiar brand new generation of Scions awakened by unexpected twists in the events that lead to the liberation of the Titans and the build-up that comes from it, with the gods and the Overworld as manifestations of the same Quantum Novas wield and a sort of equivalent/counterpoint to the Doyen. Very raw and half-baked like hell, but it is an entertaining thought.

Comment

Working...
                            X