The Expanse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Expanse

I recently watched the first 4 episodes of this new show on Syfy. Its a space epic but contained in the solar system. I am impressed with the setting and technology employed, the social situations, etc. I'd like to hear what others thought about it compared to Aeon. I'd especially like to hear Ian's thoughts.

Hmm, not seen this - I'll have to track it down...

Trinity Continuum G+ Fan Community
    H.S.U.

Comment

Its a bit harder sf than Aeon, as far as space travel goes, but if you put that aside, i quite agree. the presence of teleportation aside it makes for some great thematic material for a game set off earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Cielago View Post
        Its a bit harder sf than Aeon, as far as space travel goes, but if you put that aside, i quite agree. the presence of teleportation aside it makes for some great thematic material for a game set off earth.
        Pardon the ignorance, but wasn't there some teleport or portal use amidst the Psion Orders, at least for a time, or was that always a Nova Era thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

Pardon the ignorance, but wasn't there some teleport or portal use amidst the Psion Orders, at least for a time, or was that always a Nova Era thing?
          Teleporting, certainly. Teleportation wasn't covered in the core rulebook though. The Upeo wa Macho were the Teleportation Order that had vanished during an Aberrant attack - only to re-appear, in part, during the Darkness Revealed trilogy. The Order and their powers were documented in the Stellar Frontiers supplement.

The Leviathan jump ships replaced some of the function the Teleporters had provided before they left, allowing interstellar travel again to some degree.

H.S.U.

Comment

Originally posted by CHILL View Post

Teleporting, certainly. Teleportation wasn't covered in the core rulebook though. The Upeo wa Macho were the Teleportation Order that had vanished during an Aberrant attack - only to re-appear, in part, during the Darkness Revealed trilogy. The Order and their powers were documented in the Stellar Frontiers supplement.

The Leviathan jump ships replaced some of the function the Teleporters had provided before they left, allowing interstellar travel again to some degree.
            Oh yes, i the Upeo wa Macho disappearance - i keep forgetting that in the decades after the Aberrant War the Psion Orders and humanity as a whole went through a whole bunch of other mostly unrelated problems of their own. What i really like actually, no society exists in a self-contained vacuum of its own.

Comment

i keep forgetting that in the decades after the Aberrant War the Psion Orders and humanity as a whole went through a whole bunch of other mostly unrelated problems of their own.
              Yup - There's a whole game line about it, even.....

H.S.U.

Comment

Originally posted by CHILL View Post

Yup - There's a whole game line about it, even.....
                The Aberrants are still there - and sometimes do play pretty important roles in fact - but it's very nice to see that events didn't revolve around Aberrant War colaterals or a comeback. Going into recursive/eternal war is an all too common vice of fictional settings.

Comment

The Aberrants are still there - and sometimes do play pretty important roles in fact - but it's very nice to see that events didn't revolve around Aberrant War colaterals or a comeback. Going into recursive/eternal war is an all too common vice of fictional settings.
                  Yup, and I agree.

I got into Aeon when it was just the Aeon line on its own. Aeon always had the Aberrant War as distant enough background history, and that suited me perfectly - I liked seeing the post-war, post-crash recovery and how that was playing out on Earth and elsewhere - absent of any over-the-top god-types hinted at in the aberrant war era. Aberrants of the war (those later changed to be called Nova's in the Aberrant the RPG) and aberrants of the 2120s are, to my mind, entirely different.

I liked Aeon's focus on other things though - the Psions / the Orders, the Aeon Trinity, the Chromatics, Doyen, Coalition and so on - leaving even Trinity era aberrants as per the Trinity books as something out there on the edges of space as a potential threat. I actually very rarely used aberrants in games, I found that there's so much more interesting stuff about the 2100s+ to focus on and that mix is what drew me to the game in the first place

H.S.U.

Comment

As an aside, The Expanse started as an MMO pitch, and was then used as the setting for a tabletop RPG before becoming a novel and then a series.

Craig Oxbrow
                    The Trinity Continuum freelancer

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Oxbrow View Post
                      As an aside, The Expanse started as an MMO pitch, and was then used as the setting for a tabletop RPG before becoming a novel and then a series.
                      Groovy and inspirational to know...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Oxbrow View Post

Thanks for the info Craig, thats interesting stuff.

H.S.U.

Comment

Working...
                        X