Aberrant question: Severity of Reality TV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aberrant question: Severity of Reality TV

For the past few years, I just plain haven't watched much television, if at all, so I'm out of the loop when it comes to stuff like "Reality Entertainment." Recollection suggests that it was a big deal back in the 2000's, which partially explains why I stick to the internet.

So folks, just how bad is Reality TV and media nowadays (both in quality and ubiquity)? Just how much of the world will Nova culture take over when Joe Q Public gets people who are both interesting and important to obsess over?

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post
    For the past few years, I just plain haven't watched much television, if at all, so I'm out of the loop when it comes to stuff like "Reality Entertainment." Recollection suggests that it was a big deal back in the 2000's, which partially explains why I stick to the internet.

So folks, just how bad is Reality TV and media nowadays (both in quality and ubiquity)? Just how much of the world will Nova culture take over when Joe Q Public gets people who are both interesting and important to obsess over?
    Honestly, i don't see Reality TV having that much of a space with Nova and a channel dedicated to them and crazy stuff they can do like N! around. Simply put, super-powers have a far greater entertainment potential than pathetic pseudo-drama of a bunch of nobodies in a confined enviroment or another. That said, i could imagine N!, XWF and other media trying to develop a whole bunch of programs focused on "power competitions" and such - one of my first Aberrant groups had a Directive agent that moved across the world under the hilariously visible (and convenient) cover of being the frontman of X-Survivor, an extremes Nova sports program with stuff like parachuteless diving, lava-swimming and other outrageously suicidal stuff.

Comment

Reality TV is dying(not fast enough), and Superhero/comicbook shows are on the rise. Make of that what you will.

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."
      I find Nick Spencer and Richard Spencer to be equally repulsive.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post
        Reality TV is dying(not fast enough), and Superhero/comicbook shows are on the rise. Make of that what you will.
        OH THANK GO- I mean, uh, thank you. Very helpful.

So, it seems pretty certain that actual superheroics will take over the space that reality tv once occupied - good. Now I wonder what kinds of dirty tricks the media will try to squeeze every ounce of drama they can out of these terribly interesting superhumans...

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

Once the Nova Age begins these become the same thing. Tune in to watch 2Morrow battle terrorists and rogue Nova threats, stay for their personal drama and talking head confessions!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I guess the question would be "how much of N! is scripted?". How much are Novas paid to do it and how cushy is the job? How far will N! go to protect these stars from their own drama? Dramatic and antagonistic archetypes are generally the most popular or successful reality stars - those traits in super-powered folk traditionally occur in villains more than heroes.
            -shrug-
            Not really a fan of reality tv, but the sociology of it can be interesting.

Comment

Comicbook/superhero shows currently on TV/Netflix/Hulu, etc.;

The Walking Dead
              Fear the Walking Dead
              Powers
              Daredevil
              Jessica Jones
              Arrow
              The Flash
              iZombie
              Gotham
              Supergirl
              Marvel's Agent Carter
              Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
              Lucifer
              Legends of Tomorrow

Shows in development/coming soon:
              Preacher
              Luke Cage
              Iron Fist
              The Defenders
              Damage Control
              Powerless

That does NOT include various animated series.

Fox is talking about 2 X-Men shows, titles are TBA, rumors are Hellfire and Legion.

Basic cable
              Streaming service
              Primetime, broadcast TV(free TV)
              I'm not sure where these shows will be available

Comment

Comicbook/superhero shows currently on TV/Netflix/Hulu, etc.;

The Walking Dead
                Fear the Walking Dead
                Powers
                Daredevil
                Jessica Jones
                Arrow
                The Flash
                iZombie
                Gotham
                Supergirl
                Marvel's Agent Carter
                Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
                Lucifer
                Legends of Tomorrow

Shows in development/coming soon:
                Preacher
                Luke Cage
                Iron Fist
                The Defenders
                Damage Control
                Powerless

That does NOT include various animated series.

Fox is talking about 2 X-Men shows, titles are TBA, rumors are Hellfire and Legion.

Basic cable
                Streaming service
                Primetime, broadcast TV(free TV)
                I'm not sure where these shows will be available
                I'm a big fan of the Marvel series (they're all available online) and am familiar with Flash and Arrow (ditto), but I know next to nothing about the rest.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Marvel series (they're all available online) and am familiar with Flash and Arrow (ditto), but I know next to nothing about the rest.
                  ​Legends of Tomorrow(LoT) is DC's "Team-Up" show, spinning off from Arrow & Flash, and featuring Atom, Firestorm, Hawkgirl, White Canary,(Sarah Lance from Arrow) Captain Cold and Heatwave. The producers/director has said this will be kind of an anthology series, with new heroes and new villains/problems each season. Rumor has it next season will focus on the supernatural, with the actor from NBC's Constantine(the ONLY super hero show NOT renewed from 2015) returning to the role.

The Walking Dead started(and is made in) Georgia, and follows a group of survivors during the zombie apocalypse; Fear the Walking Dead focuses on the early days of the epidemic, in California.

iZombie is somewhat loosely based on Mike Allred's Vertigo graphic novel, and follows a young woman who, after becoming a creature who must consume human brains in order to keep from devolving into a mindless, shambling horror, is trying to make the best of her undead state, by working as a morgue attendant and solving the murders of the victims whose brains she eats.(And receives visions from.)

Lucifer is also loosely based on a Vertigo book, and is about the devil taking a vacation from Hell, and solving crimes in LA. Hilarity ensues...

Preacher will be yet another Vertigo offering, about a man blessed/cursed with "The Word of God", which makes people do what he tells them to. I probably won't watch this one, not fan of the comic.

Haven't seen Powers, no idea what it's about.

Powerless and Damage Control will both be workplace comedies, set in the Marvel and DC universes, respectively. Powerless is about an insurance company that covers "Acts of Supers", while Damage Control is about a company that handle cleanup and reconstruction after super-battles.

The 2 Marvel "Agent" shows are spy dramas set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe,(MCU) with Agent Carter being the continued adventures of Captain America's girlfriend from the movie, after WW2 ended, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. being more of a "current events" companion to the movies.

Supergirl is Superman's cousin. Duh. Flash will be making a guest appearance on her show later this month, I believe they will be invoking the "multiverse" as an explanation why no one in the Flash/Arrow/LoT universe has mentioned Superman, since he's been active for about 12 years in Supergirl's world.

Comment

The 2 Marvel "Agent" shows are spy dramas set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe,(MCU) with Agent Carter being the continued adventures of Captain America's girlfriend from the movie, after WW2 ended, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. being more of a "current events" companion to the movies.
                    I included these two as Marvel shows I'm familiar with, as they're both available on Amazon. I'm a fan of Agents of SHIELD in particular.

Comment

Powers is mostly based on Michael Oeming and Brian Michael Bendis's comic Powers. It's about a formerly immortal hero who loses his powers in modern times and becomes a cop investigating crimes committed by and against super powered beings (Powers). At one point in the comics, it's mostly agreed that powers need to be registered with the government. He faces/investigates old friends and enemies in the superpower game and has a fantastically salty partner named Deena Pilgrim (lead character's name is Christian Walker ... so they're not afraid to hit a nail square on the head). I believe the first arc mimics the comic in that it's about the investigation into the murder of a very popular female hero whom Walker was close with before he was stripped of his abilities. Um, spoiler. The lead is great even if he's a departure from the comics (Sharlto Copley from the Neil Blomkamp movies and the A-Team reboot). It's on the PlayStation network and I believe the pilot is free.

Comment

OH THANK GO- I mean, uh, thank you. Very helpful.

So, it seems pretty certain that actual superheroics will take over the space that reality tv once occupied - good. Now I wonder what kinds of dirty tricks the media will try to squeeze every ounce of drama they can out of these terribly interesting superhumans...
                        I take it you've never seen Tiger & Bunny?

The anime follows a cast of lovable super-heroes who are competing to see who can save the most people, stop the most crimes, etc. The heroes are sponsored (and branded) like NASCAR (except for the self-funded "Fire Emblem"), and their heroism competition is broadcast by "Hero TV!" The whole affair is ostensibly set up to show that NEXT Novas are not a menace to society, and provides a legitimate, legal avenue for them to use their powers for the common good.

So of course, the protagonists have to struggle with their micro-managing sponsors, drama-seeking directors, scandal-hunting reporters, and the wholly artificial nature of the competition they are participating in.

Avatar commissioned from the incomparable Melissa Uran.

Comment

Originally posted by Redford_Blade View Post

I take it you've never seen Tiger & Bunny?

The anime follows a cast of lovable super-heroes who are competing to see who can save the most people, stop the most crimes, etc. The heroes are sponsored (and branded) like NASCAR (except for the self-funded "Fire Emblem"), and their heroism competition is broadcast by "Hero TV!" The whole affair is ostensibly set up to show that NEXT Novas are not a menace to society, and provides a legitimate, legal avenue for them to use their powers for the common good.

So of course, the protagonists have to struggle with their micro-managing sponsors, drama-seeking directors, scandal-hunting reporters, and the wholly artificial nature of the competition they are participating in.
                          I might have to watch that...

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Once the Nova Age begins these become the same thing. Tune in to watch 2Morrow battle terrorists and rogue Nova threats, stay for their personal drama and talking head confessions!
                            Actually Marvel already did that with the New Warriors, it was the kickoff item that spawned all that mess that was Civil War. Of course it broke down, and caused a huge incident on live national TV, generating hostility against the entire supers community that led to a registration act... Y'know what, let's not dwell on that.

Comment

Working...
                            X