The Wicked + The Divine and other possible Aberrant inspiration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wicked + The Divine and other possible Aberrant inspiration

Hey I was just curious as to whether not anyone has read the comic series The Wicked + The Divine published by Image comics. I think its a great inspiration for Aberrant. Any other comics that are good inspiration besides those from the big two (Marvel/DC).

I definitely love Wicked + Divine. It's the only comic book that does super-powered celebrity culture as well as Aberrant. I hope the new writers give it a look. (I'm sure they have.)

Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
    Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

It's one of the primary inspirations for Scion. I'd look at Warren Ellis' Supergod as a counterpoint and second primary inspiration for Aberrant.

Neall Raemonn Price
      Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

As much as I love the wicked and the divine, I think it's more an inspiration for scion. If you want material for aberrant go with warren ellis comics like Neall said, or with mark millars Jupiter's Legacy saga.

Comment

Originally posted by Octavo View Post
          I definitely love Wicked + Divine. It's the only comic book that does super-powered celebrity culture as well as Aberrant. I hope the new writers give it a look. (I'm sure they have.)
          Jupiter's Legacy does a pretty good job with it too. Less material than Wicked + Divine. I enjoyed Super Crooks too. It may be too low-powered to be a Aberrant long-term inspiration but it's pretty good example of a team that's not a Justice League or X-Men analogue.

Comment

I would also look at Multiversity: The Just (third issue in the series of single issues) by Grant Morrison as quick but cool take on what "modern" superheroics would look like.

Comment

Shallow, self-absorbed, and ultimately meaningless?

Comment

X-Statix is basically "Mutant Superheroes as Reality TV Celebs", lots of dying though, since it was initially X-Force.

Duly Elected Guild Hierarch of the Onyx Path Forums

http://northernfoxgames.com/

Comment

The anime series Tokyo ESP and Tiger & Bunny. The former about the sudden appearance of super humans in modern Tokyo, one of whom is trying to destroy human society and leads a gang of thugs and sociopaths (the influence of the X-Men on it is openly obvious). The latter about a bunch of corporate sponsored celebrity superheroes and their personal issues in the midst of dealing with a killer vigilante, an escaped terrorist and a conspiracy.

Capes: Punching the Clock, a failed series by Robert Kirkman that ended up being incorporated into his Invincible universe. A company that hires out super-humans for public service.

Ultra: Seven Days, by the Luna Brothers, a very well written piece about three women working as celebrity superheroes.

American Way by John Ridley, about a government super team in the 1960s and its efforts to include the first black superhero. It's not brilliant, and at times a little on the nose (one of the Southern super humans, and the one who's the most overtly racist, is a human-torch type whose name is Southern Cross), but still an interesting read.

Comment

Working...
                  X