Fire Fights and Combat Mechanics in the 22nd Century

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Fights and Combat Mechanics in the 22nd Century

I have a few question for anyone who has run combat scenarios in Trinity and beyond in this system. How do you manage to make the rules work as written? My problem has been that PCs declare their actions I, as Storyteller, then have to declare my actions in a back and forth until we get to rolling for the actions by which time we sometimes forget the nuances of what we wanted to do or have to spend more time looking up miscellaneous details of things before we finally get to the resolution which causes more time wasting by looking over the other stats we skipped over earlier not to mention often forgetting a bonus or penalty here or extra successes there.

In short, RAW the combat feels incredible laborious and tedious which does not help to keep the players invested or interested in paying attention to what's going on regardless of how sugary I made the description of the scene. This has become such a problem that I have considered resorting to miniatures and a map of some description of deal with these issues and more.

Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist. --Academician Prokhor Zakharov

First I use a simple die roll for initiative, I roll a die per attacker to determine whom is being attacked. Unless someone declares a dedicated defense all attacks occur on the number on the die. I call for whatever the player's character is going to do on their turn each player has 1 minute to state their action, except total defense player rolls.

Example: Trevor rolls a 10 on initiative, Ronald rolls a 7, Gina and Nydallas roll 5, and Billy rolls a 3. I roll for the attacking Thule clones and roll a 6. Trevor realizes that the Thules are armed with plasma rifles and opts to use a hold on his action intending to use plasma control. Ronald opts to use his grenade pistol. Ronald rolls a hit the grenade kills two of the Thules. The remaining Thules attack using the the plasma rifles. Trevor activates plasma control and snuffs out the flames. Gina misses and Nydallas uses her laser power to kill another Thule. Billy uses his carbine on full auto to spray the remaining Thules he hits both but only wounds them.

Comment

Originally posted by Galaxy Master Zhad View Post
      I have a few question for anyone who has run combat scenarios in Trinity and beyond in this system. How do you manage to make the rules work as written? My problem has been that PCs declare their actions I, as Storyteller, then have to declare my actions in a back and forth until we get to rolling for the actions by which time we sometimes forget the nuances of what we wanted to do or have to spend more time looking up miscellaneous details of things before we finally get to the resolution which causes more time wasting by looking over the other stats we skipped over earlier not to mention often forgetting a bonus or penalty here or extra successes there.

In short, RAW the combat feels incredible laborious and tedious which does not help to keep the players invested or interested in paying attention to what's going on regardless of how sugary I made the description of the scene. This has become such a problem that I have considered resorting to miniatures and a map of some description of deal with these issues and more.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure most people just houserule it that you declare what you're doing when your initiative comes up so you don't have to keep track. Yes, technically it means the slowest characters have the most time to decide what they're going to do, but in general it's almost never an issue to my knowledge.

Christopher Shaffer, freelancer. If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality. -Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

MythicFox that is actually the best way to handle it I think. It inherently solves the problem, keeps the 'spirit' of the rules without needless back and forth while still allowing for declaration to matter. Though I am still curious what other people think? Also I've been looking for a nice summary mock up of the manoeuvres in combat for quick reference. Mine is based on a mix of Aberrant and Trinity, I never got my hands on Adventure so I don't know how the general manoeuvres were fixed in errata.

I am well aware that combat isn't the biggest focus of the game, if that were the case I'd by playing the d20 version, but I do enjoy running at least one fight in a story so I'd like to hear what other people also do with their combat rules.

Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist. --Academician Prokhor Zakharov

Comment

Working...
        X