Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A most unexpected complication for Project Utopia

Can Team Tomorrow deal with this one?

Or would this particular Project Utopia be more of a deal for a super-lawyers' trademark/copyright team?

Seriously now, just came across this and the above just today in some Google searchs, so i have to ask....

Could this business venture's official name cause something of a trademark/copyright issue for elements of the Aberrant game or would the setting have a precedence due to disclaimers in the books & such? I'm guessing it might get people from Onyx Path as off-guard as it did me, but anyway i really suggest looking into the subject a little at least.
    Last edited by Baaldam; 04-03-2016, 09:53 AM.

As its not a superhero team, but rather a giant mega-yacht of sorts, I doubt whether there'd be an issue. As long as both groups came up with the name independently, and there's no chance of the two being confused for each other, it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
      As its not a superhero team, but rather a giant mega-yacht of sorts, I doubt whether there'd be an issue. As long as both groups came up with the name independently, and there's no chance of the two being confused for each other, it should be fine.
      Except trademark law doesn't always care about such details - in fact, most of time it doesn't at all afaik, ergo my doubts.

Comment

No, trademark law is fairly distinct in that it only applies within a given industry. Apple Music and Apple computers coexisted for years for example, and only came into conflict when Apple Computer went into the music business with iTunes.

Currently, there is a Trinity comic, two Trinity TV shows, a Trinity movie, two Trinity novels-one of which is a series, a Trinity video game, a half dozen music albums, and a half dozen small enterprises. None of the entities are related. I think if a coincidental name between two distinct properties were going to be an issue we already would have seen the problem.

Comment

Good to know - somehow doubt Aberrant is going into the floating citadels industry anytime soon. Thanks for help clearing up my doubts anyway.

Comment

Aberrant's been around since 1999. If Project Utopia were an issue, it almost certainly would have cropped up before now.

Ian A. A. Watson
            Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

Personally I've never been a fan of the name. It's too on-the-nose of the worst fears of the "Black Helicopter" crowd. I always felt something like Project Atlas, keeping up the Greek myth themes of the other Aeon projects, would fit better.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
              X