Prehistoric Aberrant Campaign Idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prehistoric Aberrant Campaign Idea

Hello all, so I am in a total Aberrant mood which has translated into me thinking about campaigns within the greater universe. While there is totally a lot of potential in a stanmdard Aberrant campaign, that is not as fun from a random creative mood than creating new locations and plotlines and stuff. My current idea (right off the back of the scifi one I created a bit earlier) is a prehistoric one, one set about 20,000 BCE.

The basic idea is than after an asteroid comes close to the Earth it gets disrupted and destroyed and begins raining down meterioite fragments upon the Earth. The energy of the disaster is quantum based and thus subsequently novas start erupting. I figure about a hundred novas appear all throughout the Earth at this time. Upon erupting novas most often take over their tribes, becoming major figures due to the fact that they can singularly do the work of dozens and thus nova led tribes become much more successful. Over the next year the novas begin finding and meeting each other, probably thanks to novas with ESP and teleport/warp powers. As they meet they begin discussion and they soon realize that they have more in common with each other than with the general baselines that they were once part of, and so the majority of novas unite into a single grand nova tribe. They soon begin looking for a place to settle, with no luck as either all the potential places are either already inhabited or they are environmentally dangerous (remember this point inter human warfare is not exactly an automatic let us immediate jump towards war sort of concept). It is then that an elder nova brings up the idea that if they cannot find a homeland then maybe they should build one out in the great ocean that can be seen though the use of their nova powers.

The idea is that the campaign probably would start decades or maybe a century after the whole building of the continent and the settlement upon it. Nova civilization has some development but its not stable or complete nor ancient yet. The players could be novas from the start time or ones who have erupted in the time since that, either from on the nova continent itself or the old world. Plots could be dealing with the growing nova civilization, finding resources, and working to make their society better. I would totally allow for the development of writing and the wheel and metalurgy and domestication and farming and other such things since nova intelligence and powers would push towards such progress. A part of things is that when the micro meteriorites fell to the Earth they created a quantum impressed material I'm calling Quanticite which is special in some ways and would in time become a mainstay resource of the nova empire.

From a power perspective all the standard nova stuff is available and at normal cost. I will make it so that novas can reach up to Quantum 5 at beginning, Quantum 6 upon reaching 100 years of novahood, quantum 8 upon 500 years, and quantum 10 at 1000 years (no powers can discount this). Taint will accumulate at Quantum 6+ (not five), and node 4/5 rather than 3, since taint is less of an issue in my equation of things. Further, powers cannot be bought Tainted and taint only accumulates upon heavy use and failure of high level powers rather than just at regular power use.

I think such a campaign could be pretty fun and interesting and have a lot of potential, especially when one considers the ramifications of a nova civilization without much taint or the need to use the devastating technologies that our own society has.

As a final thing, I would not require keeping to human history - though my idea is that the nova empire will keep to itself given time there is no automatic need for it to collapse just because our present world doens't know about them. History can be changed and if the campaign goes for a while than the presence of novas and ta society ruled by them would totally change out it all plays out.

Anyway, I would like to say that I am interested in hearing the ideas of others if this sort of thing interests anybody else.

One of my favorite comic books is Powers. I love that before becoming de-powered that Walker was ancient and immortal and would just forget after a few generations. A French graphic novel translated into English called The Secret History deals with something similar. Four pre-historic siblings are given incredible power and eventually begin infighting as they shape history. Along the way, others learn to harness similar powers and technology starts to become advanced enough that it can possibly hurt them.

I really like your concept. Granted a 2 Quantum nova isn't in any particular danger from firearms, even massive numbers of baselines wouldn't be a major threat to them likely through the invention of gunpowder so it makes it more of an Aberrant v. Aberrant setting (which I have zero problems with). Excited to see where this goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Queen Anne Country View Post
      One of my favorite comic books is Powers. I love that before becoming de-powered that Walker was ancient and immortal and would just forget after a few generations. A French graphic novel translated into English called The Secret History deals with something similar. Four pre-historic siblings are given incredible power and eventually begin infighting as they shape history. Along the way, others learn to harness similar powers and technology starts to become advanced enough that it can possibly hurt them.
      That sounds really cool. Seeing the roll of history being played out by groups of people who lived it sounds quite fun and entertaining. All the things they could see and do and learn and know and gain power through. The experiences and the abilities and the powers, all very cool. I personally prefer if memory is sustained in some way so that even if thousands of years past the immortals still know where they came from and who they are, but I can technically see why they went the other way with that.

It also leads me to the idea of a modern day person or group of people finding themselves in the far distant past and what they do with the knoweldge that they have. Imagine being modern and then being forciably time traveled into the past where they erupt as a nova in a world rapidly different from where they came. The cool idea bout this is that the player's use of modern day ideas is totally find to be applied to the character's of the past, since said characters are in fact from the modern day. This is a far different idea than the one I present above but nontheless it has its sort of appeal. (Especially when one considers that theoretically baring injury from battle said modern day to past novas could potentially live to see the modern day again, could you imagine what such people would do, it would be interesting to say the least.)

From a game perspective time travel powers could be at work, but so could the idea that the prehistoric N-Day and the modern N-Day are both telluric events which are special in the tapestry of the universe and that certain people *cough*Mercer*cough* could actually have chosen to send the player characters back in time for some mysterious purpose that only he knows at this time. (If such a game lasted long enough I could see a sort of story line where the player character novas are either part of the attempt by Mercer or tried to stop him but in the attempt were sent back because of it.)

I really like your concept. Granted a 2 Quantum nova isn't in any particular danger from firearms, even massive numbers of baselines wouldn't be a major threat to them likely through the invention of gunpowder so it makes it more of an Aberrant v. Aberrant setting (which I have zero problems with). Excited to see where this goes.
      Its quite true that nova versus baseline isn't the concept of this. Its more nova versus environment, nova versus society being built, and nova versus nova. Honestly as the time period of human history where this takes place isn't exactly known for its rich human versus human warfare (as a standard as far as I was able to look up) I wouldn't think that novas would immediately have the thought be to fight baselines.

As the nova society grows upon its own landmass there would be interesting political and social and technological ramifications to all that they would do. Powers based on energy and gravity and other such forces would rapidly change the nature of civilization, advancing them to states the world wouldn't technically see for millennia. How they use it, what they use it for, and what sort of world do they create would all be interesting questions.

I could also see if the game extends long enough to let them having the ability to visit alternate and parallel worlds, because this one isn't big enough for how advanced they are getting. Or maybe they begin the process of great workings on par with creating a continent where they seek to shield it spatially or dimensionally from the pyring ideas of non-nova civilizations, and all the ramifications of this.

I think it could be quite fun to design and play and stuff!

If you have ideas for plots or story seeds or elements or power uses that could effect things I would love to hear it! (and the same goes for anyone else reading this thread!!)

Comment

I was recently reading up on Aberrant and I find this idea interesting, especially the idea of a modern day nova transported to the ancient past. It just so happens that a sample nova I was inspired to create was designed as a Temporal Manipulator.

As for seeds, here's a thought. What happens when groups like the Teragen discover time travel? Or, if going with the prehistoric version, what happens when some novas start deciding to create a larger empire incorporating/enslaving baselines? Does conflict develop among the nova nation between those who want conquest and those who want development of the nova and the ignoring of baselines? What sorts of technology can these ancient novas create (or if they come from the future, can they recreate in the past)? How about shaping nations or changing history? One potential seed could be the finding of a great source of quanticite in some remote location. Just some ideas off the top of my head. I'd like to see this game get off the ground.

Comment

What about the baseline's view of the Nova? After a couple of generations it will no longer be 'Grog son of Moog, who you used to paddle when he was a bad boy', now Grog is a godlike being who has been around since the time of your grandfather, so do you see him as divine, evil or an unnatural abomination?
          How do the Nova respond? Do some of them begin to buy into the hype and seek worship, becoming angry if they are denied it? If they don't get god complexes how do they respond? Do they make an effort to convince the baselines that they are human to?
          If you don't intend to mix Scion with your Aberrant it might be fun to play out the origin of the Greek, Egyptian, Sumerian and Asgard pantheons (or any of the others in the world).
          If the game lasts long enough to catch up to the modern day then what happened to this super nation? Will you play out its destruction, or maybe how the Nova separate themselves from the rest of the world, creating the legends of Mount Olympus and the Bio Frost Bridge? If the ancient Nova are still around what role will they play in the modern conflict? Would you give the players a chance to prevent that conflict?

Comment

If you need a source of conflict, what if aliens really did build the pyramids?
            The ancient world worships alien gods who don't take kindly to the human upstarts popping up under foot.
            Legends of Titans and Frost Giants, what if they were based upon otherworld conquerors?

Comment

Would this campaign be one that started in the prehistoric and came back to modern times? Or would it be self-contained in the past?

Comment

First, I want to say that I really appreciate and enjoy the fact that others seem to like this concept just as much as I do. That is really cool.

Originally posted by Mysteris View Post
                I was recently reading up on Aberrant and I find this idea interesting, especially the idea of a modern day nova transported to the ancient past. It just so happens that a sample nova I was inspired to create was designed as a Temporal Manipulator.

As for seeds, here's a thought. What happens when groups like the Teragen discover time travel? Or, if going with the prehistoric version, what happens when some novas start deciding to create a larger empire incorporating/enslaving baselines? Does conflict develop among the nova nation between those who want conquest and those who want development of the nova and the ignoring of baselines? What sorts of technology can these ancient novas create (or if they come from the future, can they recreate in the past)? How about shaping nations or changing history? One potential seed could be the finding of a great source of quanticite in some remote location. Just some ideas off the top of my head. I'd like to see this game get off the ground.
                The whole time travel nature of things has a supreme amount of interest to me. The idea of knowing what technically should be coming but finding that things didn't entirely happen the way it was expected, or even later on finding that the way the world was driven is heavily biased due to you enforcing options that you think would lead to the world you know. (Imagine the saga gets to the time of the Romans invading England, you are there living in secret and the natives of the island come to you asking for help in repulsing the Romans, but you know that this part of England was a Roman settlement, so you refuse to help the natives, subsequently they get conquered and history is what you expected.) I think that could have a lot of fun though it would probably need to have players who share certain goals in terms of how their actions will effect history and stuff.

But yeah I really like the whole 'modern person transported to the ancient past and now have to make a new life for themselves while trying to get back to the modern day, one moment at a time."

I would probably on time travel restrict who can do it, maybe to particular moments in time and events and rituals and stuff. The whole time travel is a common power idea works for certain settings I think but probably not this one. But you do make a good point, a Teragen ritual creating the time travel event is going to end up different than if Utopia or Aeon or even Mercer are the ones who do the time travel ceremony.

The idea of what happens between those novas that agree to unite and those that do not is an interesting one and has a lot of potential to go in many different directions. And honestly I doubt it would result in peace, I invision the various independent minded novas kind of eventually being 'convinced through arms' (i.e forced) to either join the group or fight for the freedom, and I always see the group having more novas working together than the independents.

Your thoughts and questions are great discussion points for such a campaign. Like I could see handing them to players and stuff and see what they would answer in order to see how the whole develops. I know I personally would like to have nova civilization be hidden from baselines (either on their own continent or later on in a sort of pocket space) rather than interfere in what we would historically recognize. Since nova civilization is seperated I would see that they have no true limit to what they could create, if things make sense and progress is followed along a path that has logic and cool factors. (An idea could be why create computers as we know it when a single nova could do all the equations, and a quantum device could be designed with a mathematics enhancement which could give said ability to even a baseline.)

The idea of finding unique and rare and specialized form of quantinite interests me as story fodder. Cause when such materials land the group which claims it probably has an advantage, even if said group is baseline. Also, copying from Adventure! ideas sources of quantitnite could maybe power the existence of pocket spaces and other such wonky pulp locations.

Originally posted by 2ptTakrill View Post
                What about the baseline's view of the Nova? After a couple of generations it will no longer be 'Grog son of Moog, who you used to paddle when he was a bad boy', now Grog is a godlike being who has been around since the time of your grandfather, so do you see him as divine, evil or an unnatural abomination?
                How do the Nova respond? Do some of them begin to buy into the hype and seek worship, becoming angry if they are denied it? If they don't get god complexes how do they respond? Do they make an effort to convince the baselines that they are human to?

If you don't intend to mix Scion with your Aberrant it might be fun to play out the origin of the Greek, Egyptian, Sumerian and Asgard pantheons (or any of the others in the world).
                If the game lasts long enough to catch up to the modern day then what happened to this super nation? Will you play out its destruction, or maybe how the Nova separate themselves from the rest of the world, creating the legends of Mount Olympus and the Bio Frost Bridge? If the ancient Nova are still around what role will they play in the modern conflict? Would you give the players a chance to prevent that conflict?
                You really do make a good point. I mean at first the novas are just former members who become special. But when they last for generations even with bare bones technology or medicine they will soon become more. And when one can use a nova taking an hour to do the work of twenty over two days, well, it would make them so much more.

The variations on how both novas and baselines respond to this is really cool. And I think has a lot of interesting potential to play out and stuff.

I LOVE the idea of nova actions being taken by the baselines as part of their myths and legends. That the nova capital is in the vision of Mount Olumpus and to get there one must use something similar to the Bifrost to get to the subrealm home to the nova nation. And there is also a great deal of potential gaming fodder for having novas be some of the ancient divine pantheons of the world, it could be quite fun.

And your right about the really interesting factor of what place does the ancient novas have in modern events. Do they stand aside, do they interfere, do they defend, do they conquer. Or do they know that something world shatering is coming and they spend a lot of time behind the scenes trying to make the world into a place that can survive the coming apocalypse.

Originally posted by 2ptTakrill View Post
                If you need a source of conflict, what if aliens really did build the pyramids?
                The ancient world worships alien gods who don't take kindly to the human upstarts popping up under foot.
                Legends of Titans and Frost Giants, what if they were based upon otherworld conquerors?
                Oh so many cool ideas can come from this!

Imagine - On the eve of when the time travel event occurs something sinister, alien, multi-dimensional or something else invades or attacks the Earth. The heroes know this, and at the time they were simply humans running from it when something energized them and they found themselve sin the past as new novas. Now they are going through history one day at a time and they know that at the point where they leave the world is going to be attacked by the sinister force, but they also don't seem to see any overt plans to fight against it. So they work to make secret plans or a hidden society or they work to understand the evil force so that it can be defeated.

And maybe they don't want to do anything worldly overt or the aliens might attack earlier or realize that humanity knows about them long before they should, or just change their plans, and so they decide to stay hidden.

Or something else, this is just an idea.

But the cool thing is that from both the characters and the players perspetive they have thousands to many even ten thousand years between the time in the past to the war present to plan and do stuff - which means they have plenty of time to party and adventure and just enjoy their hopefully immortal existence.

Originally posted by Mysteris View Post
                Would this campaign be one that started in the prehistoric and came back to modern times? Or would it be self-contained in the past?
                I figure that this would depend quite strongly on what players wanted and stuff. I could see time jump stories in which each adventure is at a different period in the events of the world or the characters (from the prehistoric to the present, and then onward to the future). A cool idea is that players get to choose from either a list or something on what period to play next, and time can go back and forth from a game perspective while truly being linear in an in-world perspective. (Imagine the third adventure the players are like 'I want to see what we do in Victorian times" and after a cool bit of fun they discover an ancient Roman something, and upon completion the players go "Wouldn't it be cool for us to play out our time period around that Roman site".

Or this might be complicated in play and instead games start at the prehistoric point and adventurers tell the story linear till it reaches a modern day or something with huge jumps between the 'boring' middle moments. Or a combination.

But I guess it really depends on whether people want to spend more focus on their characters in the past or the adventure in the present facing the threat,

+

Really love the fact that ideas are coming in this thread, its totally really awesome and stuff.

Comment

I'd like to pitch an idea in that case.

I don't know much about the Trinity timeline, but I'm given to understand that humanity has contact with the aliens. What if, say, around the time of the Nova Golden Age (anywhere from maybe 2005 to say, 2040), the aliens decide that the Novas represent a threat. To humanity, to them, to the future. Maybe they can see the Aberrant War coming. Or maybe they just don't want quantum-powered humans as a threat against their invasion. So they invade. Or maybe they just make contact with groups like Proteus and the Directive and come to an understanding. After all, an invasion would just unite humanity and novas against a common threat. Both groups step up their efforts to control/eliminate novas "in the interests of world peace/human-alien cooperation".

Some faction notices this. Maybe the Aberrants with their inside agents realize what's going on and tries to expose the secret agenda. Maybe the Teragen decides that the crimes against novakind cannot stand. Or Max Mercer decides that aliens dominating humanity is no future he wants to live in. Whoever it is starts recruiting. Maybe the characters are an Aberrant or Teragen cell already. Maybe they're free agent novas recruited for their powers or potential (especially if all the PCs are Quantum 4 or 5). At any rate, the group or groups in question tries to out the secret agenda and things go wrong. Maybe they succeed and the aliens decide to screw subtlety. Or national governments/national nova teams/Team Tomorrow shows up to flatten the would-be exposers. Things go south and the leader (s) decide it's time to tap that potential. If they have the means to time-travel, they send the characters back to warn their past selves of what's coming. Or if one of the PCs has Time Travel powers, they try to go back and save themselves. But things go wrong. Instead of appearing a week or a month into the past, the time travel sends the characters all the way back to the Prehistoric era.

And now they're stuck there, trying to make it back to the future. But they're a bunch of high-powered novas in an era when humanity is just figuring out fire and the wheel. What do they do? Maybe they create their own nation, separate from the world. Maybe they try not to interfere too much with the past. Maybe they decide to screw it and set themselves up as Gods over men. Who knows?

Comment

Mysteris, a really interesting and cool idea.

And yeah there is totally the concept in Trinity that aliens are around and watching and plotting and planning and getting ready to strike. Technically they were about to do it around the Aberrant era, but then the station exploded, quantum became covering the world, and the novas appeared with quantum energy negatively effecting them. Which is why later on they uplifted the heads of the orders and made the psions rather than psiads and the more natural form of human noetic potential.

You make an interesting point that I hadn't thought of - in that in the time of the present there are novas all around, that the world is in fact the aberrant one. To be honest I had always thought of the world pre-timetravel to be our world, with no novas or other such things publicly known, which is what let the aliens decide to attack - they saw a defenseless world.

If we went with the the direction of the modern day being the standard aberrant world, with Utopia and Teragen and Divis Mal and all that then we have to wonder about certain behind the scenes things. Imagine there existing a nova dominated society in a hidden part of the Earth (or near to it or connected to it), its exactly what the Teragen believe and want. Heck its exactly what Divis Mal sort of sprouts, his entire motive. Wouldn't said nation actually contact him, or make him a citizen. Heck he becomes a nova years (maybe even a decade or two) before the majority of other novas (he creates the Galtea explosion afterall), in all that time he didn't notice some secret nova society in the background. Not really gonna believe that of him. (Though, admitted I love the character, his presence motivated me a lot when I first saw him and thus I look at him as a hero rather than a villain.)

Sooo, I think your basic premise works verty well, but remove the novas existing pre-alien attack. Maybe a few do but not that many and definitely not commonly organized or anything like that. So its just like our world, a little more quantum-y but our world. Then aliens attack on one fine beautiful day, and all hell breaks loose. Upon the alien attack thousands (or millions) die, cities devastated, and hundreds upon hundreds of novas begin erupting all over the place. But even more a force appears from the shadows and begins organizing Earth's defense - the novas of a mysterious nation that decalres they love the Earth even as they are removed a bit from it. And hence the players and their forces come back into the light of the day.

Cause the thing is, in my estimation, is that if a campaign actually went from present day to the distnat past and got back to the present, then the player characters are epic, they are legendary, they are the heads of the nation or if not rulers directly then movers and shakers. They aren't low level figures they are the ones who point and declare and get obeyed. Which is cool because when it all began they were running, scared, in danger, worried, seeing their world being toppled, and now they are back to kick ass!

++

I like the idea of the time travel going wrong, or not the way expected. I think its cool and poetic if the events that led to it were not fully explainable and thus not reproducable, but also a feedback loop that meant it always was meant to happen.

So many happens.

And the interesting thing is that if they are modern day humans they have all of our understandings and the theoretical underpinnings and philosophical questions we have thought of. They know about war and conflict in a way that the primitive humans of the time haven't really invested much time into thinking. They know the little and the complex, things that are easy to replicate but hard to design in the first place.

A game like this would have both world building elements (as the players create a nation) but also various bits of adventure and regular campaigning, especially if the presence of quantinite and novas also leads to the appearance of places and lands that are bizarre.

Comment

I think the idea I had and the idea you had aren't that incompatible. You ask why a nova nation established in the past wouldn't contact Divis Mal at least ahead of time. My thought is, perhaps they didn't exist yet.

Here's what I mean. Let's say we go with the Aberrant world where the alien attack happens and someone/some group goes time-traveling. What if the accident that strands them in the prehistoric doesn't take them back to the past of the world they left? The Crosstime Travel power enables one to travel into universes where a different choice caused different outcomes. What if someone intended to go back into the past of the Aberrant world but wound up stuck in the prehistoric of a similar but slightly different world? They might think they were in the past of the Aberrant world, but they're not. In this world, in the prehistoric, you have the arrival of the meterorite with the quantite in it. Maybe it even arrived in the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs? In this world there was a slight change. Maybe humanity didn't develop at the same pace, or developed at a slightly faster pace. The goal of the stranded novas is still to get back to the present and warn the world of the attack in the 21st century AD.

But now they have ten thousand years or so of time between when they are and when they need to be. After a bit of adjustment, they start jumpstarting human civilization. Or creating a Nova nation. They have all these thousands of years to develop into these awesome beings who've been there and shaped history. And somewhere along the line they realize that they're not in their native timeline but a close enough alternative. So as the Nova Age approaches, they find a way to get word to the Aberrant timeline. They try to warn someone, maybe Divis Mal since he was there earlier, of what's coming. Their goal hasn't changed, and they can still be kickass novas who come back to fight the invasion when it happens in the Aberrant timeline. Maybe the kickass versions appear seconds after their past selves leave even. They just took the long way home through an alternate timeline. And it opens up the possibility of what they do when they get home. How does the world react to these supernovas? How do they react to their home after all those centuries away? They'd certainly be far different people than the ones who left!
                      Last edited by Mysteris; 06-19-2016, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Mysteris,

Oh yeah totally, they are quite compatible.

I hadn't thought of the idea of having it be two related but seperate universes, thats a very interesting way to go about it. That they had the same start but that things changed at some point (probably related to the crashing of the quantum asteroid and the initial time travel event.)

I like it, it also leads to the uniqueness of each world. They are related but not the same. It also allows for players to not feel 'bad' if their people change history, cause its not the world they knew of even if it seems familiar. So (for example) Rome might happen if its unchanged by the players, but it doesn't necessary mean that it has to exactly be the Rome we know, especially if nova characters decide to get involved. The cool thing about this is that there is no true reason to keep the world of novas quiet, since its not actually our world. They could create a nova ruled nation which actively covered the world in all its environments if they wanted without destroying our own timeline. If one goes far enough back them another interesting element of the world being physically different could also occur. Which means new terrain and locations and such things like that.

But here is the thing, I guess part of the issue becomes what theme is being practiced. Is it about being novas preparing for the apocalypse. It is the humans existing in another time and space. Is it being able to march through history and interact with it. All have a lot of potential and a lot of fun.

Imagine a nova civilization on a parallel world deciding to appear in the Aberrant World when the aliens attack. We have a society of fully developed, organized, civilized, nationalized novas working to protect a world which is fractionalized, divided, and 'modern'. It could be very interesting to see what goes.

++

Another option could be that its the Aberrant world, aliens attack, but instead of just trnasporting the palyers hundreds or thousands of people plus dozens of novas get willingly transported to another world - a prehistoric Earth - and are given the idea that if they make a civilization they can one day come back and destroy the aliens. If the world is mysterious or interesting then you could have a lot of potential campaign elements while also including the nature of novas and the whole idea of preparing civilization to one day go back to Earth Prime to destroy the alien threat.

Theories could even be developed to indicate that the nova world could aid and effect other worlds in various time periods, without worrying about changing their own timeline since one can only travel back to the moment they left in the nova world and not before.

Just some ideas. Really enjoying this dicussion.

Comment

I don't see why all the themes you mentioned can't be explored at some point. In the beginning you have a group of novas stranded in a foreign time, with skills and mindsets not suited to prehistoric. The theme is humans in another time and place. Then as the game progresses you explore what it means for these people to have power, to make or break societies. Sure, the overarching goal is preparing for the apocalypse but that's ten thousand years down the line. The characters develop over the ages, growing and changing and exploring their own themes and goals. Eventually you have them return to the Aberrant timeline and stop the attack (which probably isn't too hard considering how high-quantum these people will be after ten millennia) but now they have the social challenge of dealing with this very divided and factionalized world.

Think about it. They've built one or several nova nations by now. They're the rulers of an entire alternate timeline. How does Project Utopia or the Teragen or the Directive or anyone else really deal with that? Friends? Enemies? Spy games? Are the novas even interested in returning to the world they once knew after so long? They can't be ignored, but they're too strong to coerce. Hell, it's not inconceivable that with ten millennia and the genetic stock of an entire planet these PCs have sired or born countless generations of nova children. Wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth to Proteus!

I'm not sure it would work out so well if you had hundreds of thousands of people and dozens of novas transported to an alternate world. The novas would still have a lot of factional loyalties and the baselines would have a lot of their cultural assumptions hardwired from the Nova Age where as with the prehistoric alternate timeline it's a fresh start.

One thing that does come to mind is that maybe the PCs represent an ecletic group of different affiliations. Enough to provide contrast, especially at the beginning with getting settled in the Prehistoric. Of course, I imagine that those affiliations would ultimately become meaningless stranded so far from home.
                          Last edited by Mysteris; 06-20-2016, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Sounds like such an epic awesome campaign. Would love to run/play it and deal with all the ramifications of such a thing. From basic beginning lost in a world far from their own time to basically the divine lords over all of the civilization, or something similar.

It is a great idea and has quite a lot of potential. It could be such a fun long term epic game. With various elements and points.

I could totally see having the number of novas who go into the alternate world being equal to (number of players) + 2, with those two being NPCs that could be used for various interesting plot and adventure points. They could go dark or manipulate things, they could go rogue and act as their own master, or even more insidious they can stay inside the growing society and manipulate it from within. Politics and social engineering and coming up with a society and figuring out what they want to do and what of history they want to change.

What is also interesting is that if they appear in a time where humans share the world with various other humanoid species (not mystical, I mean legit ones) then they could keep them alive creating various species castes, if they want.

And yeah when they get back to the present they are tens of thosuands of years old, probably Quantum 10, though I might restrict the powers that exist at that level (we shall see), and quite different than they were when they first disappeared.. And your right about all the various social groups that they would deal with and work with and have to either manipulate or ignore or support or destroy.

And a cool thing is that as nova civilization gets older and more quantum is thrown about then it might energize the world, creating quantum hybrids and variant supercharged terrains and such things.

Its such a great idea, so epic in design. And probably quite fun to play as well.

Comment

Well, I've been working up a new nova for the campaign. The temporal/spatial manipulator I mentioned before. I'm thinking she's newly erupted at the beginning of this and has yet to choose an allegiance. We'll be starting at Quantum 5, yes?

Should a post go up in the Play by Post forum so we can get more players?
                              Last edited by Mysteris; 06-20-2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X