No announcement yet.

Prehistoric Aberrant Campaign Idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Though I love the idea I am not sure I fully intend to make it an actual rpg game, . Though I wouldn't mind, and in fact would heavily enjoy, the continuing discussion we are having. Its quite fun.

I will say that I really don't like Taint as a concept, though I do like the whole nature of aberrants as interesting side effects on the power. I am also highly resistant to some of the higher Quantum powers, no matter how cool they are. They are extremely game breaking when used and could ruin a game pretty quickly. That said, I do like the presence of Quantum of above five, though I can see restricting it by age and also restricting it so that the powers themselves are limited but higher Quantum often just means more dots on already powers as well as the presence of more Extras.
    Last edited by LordHeru; 06-20-2016, 03:55 PM.

Comment

What powers would you get rid of at high quantum?

Comment

Cool! Man I really want a basic ruleset.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Mysteris View Post
          What powers would you get rid of at high quantum?
          They are so universe breaking that when you get hundreds to thousands of people with such powers than any stability or balance is thrown out the window. I like the idea of the high quantum stuff for single characters - Divis Mal using Universe Creation to go to another dimension, that may or may not have the Exalted - but if they are present than things become a tug of war on epic scale. Unless something works to balance them.

So the powers themselves aren't sooo bad, its just they are so epic and legendary and expansive in scope that they have no equals.

I do like how powers can go from local to regional in scale, that is useful. Even potentially global is fine, but when you get reality-spanning with a single roll of the dice, yeah too much.

I did have the idea of implementing age restrictions on Quantum levels above 5. Like 6 can be gained at 100 years post-Eruption, 8 at say 500 years, and maybe 10 at after a thosuand or two thousand years. So you have to be old, not just like thirty and bam, you no have Quantum 10. But this is just my thoughts on that.

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
          Cool! Man I really want a basic ruleset.
          Well the previous (I guess technically still current) addition does work. hehe

And it still has a lot of fun potential and stuff. But yeah it would be cool for the new version to come out.

By the way, any thoughts on the setting we are discussing?

Comment

Yeah how many novas pop up after the initial 100?

What about contention from Novas that didn't want to join the Nova Tribe?

Perhaps the old Exalted Essence Age chart may not be the best way to go about with how high Quantum gets raised, Perhaps Experience should determine it, or perhaps a special Quantum Exp, that can only be gained from certain events such as life goals, high power danger, killing another Nova, ect can be used for raising it?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

One way to prevent a glut of Quantum 10 gods might be to limit what the quantite can do. Perhaps, because of some unique way quantite interacts with human genetics, those who gain their powers due to the quantite can only ever reach Quantum 5. So in this alternate universe, the PCs start at 5 and the novas that come after them can only reach 5. That way, when the PCs do reach Quantum 10, this small handful of novas are the only ones with reality-spanning powers, which keeps the focus on the PCs.

It doesn't even diminish the fact that when they return to the present of the Aberrant timeline they've got a nation/world of novas. They're Quantum 10 gods, and they've got a world of Quantum 4 and 5 novas behind them, which is still a major power to be reckoned with.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                Yeah how many novas pop up after the initial 100?

What about contention from Novas that didn't want to join the Nova Tribe?

Perhaps the old Exalted Essence Age chart may not be the best way to go about with how high Quantum gets raised, Perhaps Experience should determine it, or perhaps a special Quantum Exp, that can only be gained from certain events such as life goals, high power danger, killing another Nova, ect can be used for raising it?
                I don't know but I do think that it will grow a bit as the baseline human numbers grow. I do also think that the children of two novas will become a nova, though I figure their powers are more structured and steady than the 'oh lord anything is possible' nature of the very first generation.

I don't want to answer this only because if I do then I limit the potential for campaign story elements. I do think that at first peace between the united novas and the independent novas exist. But I also figure that as the nova nation gets situated and powerful and organized they will not want to have outside beings who could cause problems or destabilize or whatever. So, I do figure that the peace won't remain forever and that eventually there will be some 'join or die' pograms existing. I also figure that this might be at first with a dark nova but even when a good nova decides to ignore or breakway it might cause conflict. But such a thing is perfect story fodder.

That is a good idea, using Experience as a way of measuring the rate of growth. I could also combine that with age, but yeah the more experience you get in certain nova related things the 'easier' it is for your quantum to be raised. It is a good interesting option.

Originally posted by Mysteris View Post
                One way to prevent a glut of Quantum 10 gods might be to limit what the quantite can do. Perhaps, because of some unique way quantite interacts with human genetics, those who gain their powers due to the quantite can only ever reach Quantum 5. So in this alternate universe, the PCs start at 5 and the novas that come after them can only reach 5. That way, when the PCs do reach Quantum 10, this small handful of novas are the only ones with reality-spanning powers, which keeps the focus on the PCs.

It doesn't even diminish the fact that when they return to the present of the Aberrant timeline they've got a nation/world of novas. They're Quantum 10 gods, and they've got a world of Quantum 4 and 5 novas behind them, which is still a major power to be reckoned with.
                That is an interesting idea. Limiting those who come after to Quantum 5, or Quantum 6 to allow for even those novas to have Extras on their Level Three powers. The idea that Quantite is both empowering but also limiting could be an interesting balance point. Cause your right, its still a massive society of novas of Quantum 1-5 capable of doing a lot of stuff, not being able to go Quantum 6+ in powers isn't going to make them easy pickings for the standard aberrant world. ]

I do REALLY like the fact that it makes the PCs special, which is important and useful thing to do. It alos explains their authority and their nature and the fact that when thye speak they are listened to.

I wonder if there is a way to add 'rules' to the game so that a bunch of novas can combine their powers to allow for higher level quantum effects. Imagine that nobody but the PCs can go above Quantum 6, but that (random numbers) 100 Quantum 5 novas can combine to create a Level 4 power, and 1000 Quantum 5 novas can empower a Level 5 power, and 10,000 Quantum 5 novas can do a Level 6 power. Imagine how awesome visually speaking the nova nation would be to organize such a massive nyumber of novas coming together for major impresssive works of quantum artifice. Which I think would be really really cool!

But yeah, having it so that since the PC novas come from another world or they were empowered by traveling through the dimensional temporal line they are not limited to Quantum 6 like those who have the quantum energy of the meterite being their core stone.

Cool ideas!

+++

I have to say I think it would be really cool to like create a collaborative timeline setting structure for this which could have potential spaces within it that could be points of play. That way like a history 10,000 years could exist and the game could jump between the periods as players gain interest. It could also allow for a bit of rotation in ST, since a particular one might like to run something in a particular time or place while another ST is like "I want to run something here". Just a thought.

Comment

I'm going to go sleep but when I wake up I'll look into drawing up a tentative timeline.

Comment

So here's a quick sketch of a timeline for others to add to.

Aberrant World (pre time-travel) 2009

The Teragen begins the Night of Long Knives. The Apostle gathers allies and makes his move to take out Jeremiah Scripture. This ends badly, but divides the Cult of Mal. Divis Mal himself kills the Apostle for the attempt on Scripture, though some of the Apostle's followers go to ground in the Harvesters.

Aliens, after careful study, contact leaders within Project Proteus and the Directive. The aliens make it plain that the continued growth of these "quantum freaks" will lead to an invasion and conquest. They demonstrate they have the capacity to conquer Earth. After intense debate, Proteus and the Directive agree to team up to curb Nova growth. Proteus (through Utopia) opens more black sites like Bahrain and begins channeling more and more novas to these sites. The Directive opens it's own black sites, and begins a crackdown on Nova-run businesses, patent holders, and other Novas that it's easy to "disappear" in their countries.Celebrity novas and the N! network aren't affected yet.

The Aberrants become aware that something is up and begin digging through their hidden Utopian agents.

The Night of Long Knives continues. The Harvesters, led by Leviathan, drum out the Apothecary and dive full-bore into Taint and the Chrysalis. The Apothecary's followers take shelter with Bounty in Africa, and reach out to the Casablancas for support. Leviathan and the Harvesters team up with Nova Vigilance and the Primacy to further direct-action strikes against the enemies of Novakind, over the objections of Count Orzaiz and the Casablancas. Tensions grow.

The public (and N!) start to suspect something is going on with the number of novas that are disappearing, but these are just rumors at this point.

March 2011

An Aberrant deep-cover agent discovers the truth of Proteus and their campaign against Novakind. A Teragen spy within the Aberrant movement leaks this intel to the Casablancas. Count Orzaiz and Narcosis form a secret alliance with the Aberrants to expose Proteus, and convince NV and the Primacy to attack when given a signal.

April-September 2011

The Casablancas and the Aberrants expose Project Proteus and it's dealings to the world. Worldwide uproar sets in as Utopia is discredited by association (despite the best efforts of Sophia Rousseau to separate Proteus from Utopia in the public's mind). NV, the Harvesters, and the Primacy, led by a furious Divis Mal, begin laying waste to Proteus black sites and operations globally. The testimony of escapees from the black sites only cements Proteus's bad rep. Orzaiz and Narcosis turn this into a public relations windfall for the Teragen. Team Tomorrow is coopted by the Directive in an attempt to restore order, only to have an Aberrant telepath infilitrate the team and expose the Directive in August. A new firestorm of scandal engulfs the Directive's home countries and governments.

October 30, 2011

Team Tomorrow Americas, led by Caestus Pax, is battling the Primacy at a Directive black site in the Nevada desert. The battle is interrupted by an energy blast that destroys Las Vegas. The alien armada has arrived. They've been monitoring and they realize that their agents and plans are compromised so they attack without warning. Dozens of major cities across the globe fall in the first few hours. The militaries of the world scramble a response. Novas put aside their differences to battle the invaders.

November 2, 2011

It's over. After a brief rallying and few days of resistance by humans and novas, the aliens begin systemic orbital bombardments of Earth. Billions die as the sun is blocked out by dust and ash. In the midst of the attack, a nova with the ability of time-travel gathers those novas nearby and makes a desperate escape into the past to try and warn Earth of what's to come.

More in the next post.

Comment

Alternate Timeline 10,000 BC.

The nova group winds up in the distant past in another timeline. Lost and stranded, they eventually realize that they are millennia off-course. They team up for mutual survival and eventually discover the hunter-gatherer ancestors of humanity. After a few brief skirmishes, the novas establish themselves as local gods and goddesses to the tribe. The night of their acceptance by the tribe, a strange purple meteor strikes the Earth. This meteor is made up of what will be known as quantite, and it's radiation will seep into the Earth and spread over the next several millennia. The novas have about fifty years to do what they will with the tribes.

Two Generations Later

The first quantite-produced nova erupts.

9500 B.C.

The number of quantite-produced novas has grown to a few hundred. The nova group that traveled to the past (the PCs) have noticed that though they age, they do not die, and they are becoming stronger. In fact, they retain their appearances from when they first arrived. By now there's a distinct class of these "god-touched" nova children and the rest of humanity. The PCs have a lot of options at this point. Some humans want to wipe out the novas before they become a threat, others want to worship, and ideologies are beginning to form.

5000 B.C.

The first permanent settlements and nation-states should be forming about now. If the PCs haven't already created them by this point. Now novas are beginning to appear around the globe.

B.C./A.D. crossover

The PC novas eventually realize that this world is not the world they left. They're in another reality. The goal becomes finding a way to warn their native world of what's coming. Whole nova civilizations have sprung up by now. The PCs defeat the aliens that have come to wipe out the quantum-infested world of this timeline.

1000 A.D.

The nova civilizations come into contact with one another. There are wars and strife, and the PC novas might pick sides or unify all the civilizations into one.

1945 A.D.

The nova societies of the world find a way to contact the Aberrant timeline. The PCs warn Divis Mal of what's coming.

2011 A.D.

The PCs (now Quantum 10) find a way to cross back to the Aberrant timeline with their nova forces.

Aberrant Timeline

November 2, 2011

The PCs arrive during the alien attack and destroy the alien forces with their powers and their nova legions. They arrive seconds after their past selves left, leaving a shaken Earth to deal with these new players on the global scene.

Comment

Very interesting timeline. Nice broad strokes.

I wonder on the why of changign the official aberrant timeline. You could just have it be the official universe then one fine day aliens attack and the PCs dissapear. And then from their perspective fast forward and they come back to save the world from the aliens.

I do like how they are able to communication with Divis Mal, that is pretty nifty and a cool thing. And I like how its the same year, as if it being that moment weakens the barriers between worlds. I also figure that is probably around the Hammersmith event, which is cool because it means Divis Mal is being saturation in Tellurian particles and thus is more connected to the universe.

That said, I do like how in the timeline the world is starting to realize that novas are not so bad and that what Proteus and (by proxy) Utopia are doing is not the greatest.

Here are some of my thoughts :

In 10,000 BCE humanity has started the process of community, agriculture, and even domestication. Humanity exists in pretty much every major landmass of the world, and thus is already widely spread out. Communities and cultures have a few hundred to about a thousand people. Stone tools are major and pottery is a developed thing. World population is between one and ten million people.

It is in this world our nova PCs appear (lets call them Elders). Where they show up is going to change some things. If they appear in the Fertile Crescent they are going to be in an area with civilization. They could also form in the Americas, or Asia, or Europe. Britain also has a bit of population. The culture that is going to form and the resources that are present will also vary.

I personally would choose something either based on Britain or the Fertile Crescent, cause both sites have interesting stories to tell. This will also be interesting cause I assume the Elders were physically located in America which means the transportation wasn't just through time but also space.

Wherever they arrive their needs to be at least one if not multiple tribes of humans (and derivitives) all running about. Some of these tribes will become allied while others can become enemies of the local level conflicts.

Where they land will also be a major site of the presence of quantite. Maybe one of the largest landfall of the material will be around where their civilization will form. The benefit of this is it can also be used to change the local environment. If it lands somewhere then a hill or mountain can now exist, lakes can form, and what would be a part of something greater could become its own island or something.

The Elders appear in a civilization where the world is a dark and unknown place, with many unexplained things. And here they come, with their knoweldge of what is around the corner and with powers that are just extremely beyond.

I figure the combination of high level quantite and the presence of the Elders will mean that the community that the Elders will become part of will get more novas of the new kind as compared to many other groups.

Very quickly novas from aroudn the world will start knowing about each other. Communicating with each other. Even visiting each other. Distance will soon have no meaning as a nova with teleport or warp can travel wherever they want, even oceans distant. Even more novas with telepathy can speak to each other irrespective of distance. And novas with ESP can find other novas based on the quantum pattern they give off.

I would figure that our Elders wouldn't want to have the novas be all around doing whatever they want with no connection. Especially if they were part of the aberrant world and saw what happens when fractionalism is left to dominant operations. Hence feelers would be sent out, probably with a light touch at first but will grow more and more firm as the new nova society develops.

Using spatial manipulation a place of small size could be made larger. So nova civilization could take a small cave and stretch it into the span of a city, if they want to live underground. Or they can use various earth shaping powers to make a landmass in the Atlantic Ocean, if they want their own continent. Or both. They could have a major continent they call home while also inhabiting secret underround hill bases all around the world.

The presence of quantite will imbue beasts and plants with aberrations, which could be useful for domestication and resource gathering but might also be hunted and fought.

I figure that at first the Elders might think they are in their own world, and probably would try and be light on their world changing touches. But once they learn that its a sideways world to the one they knew, all bets become off. which could be an interesting moment as their nova civilization begins disucssion on throwing away the various practices that they had in order to keep the world on the same path.

At some point technology - powered by quantum or regular energy - will develop, and the elders and the other novas will have to figure out what weapons and technologies and devices they want to focus on and develop.

If they grow vast enough then the sky is the limit, and they might decide to colonize the moon, mars, space and stuff. Having bases or colonies in other worlds of the solar civilization. This might be at first to create listening posts to try and detect the presence of aliens but later on it could be to expand their capabilities.

I could also see them trying to get back to their own dimension. But finding that the barriers are being uncomprimisingly hard till the time reaches the 'present'. But instead they discover that other worlds are not in fact that difficult (relatively speaking) to get too, which could lead their civilziation becoming multi-dimensional. As an idea.

I see no reason that it takes till 1000 AD for nova civilizations to unite. With access to instant world wide communications using nova powers, as well as perceptive viewing, adn even teleportation the novas can go everywhere as they need to do even at the earliest age. Plus the presence of enhancements of great planning and organization they could come up with a government structure that is efficient, fast, organized, and

Comment

Been busy the last few days.

I like the idea of the nova Elders shaping civilization and I agree with the idea of a sudden attack without warning. As for where they end up initially, that might depend on player preference.

My only concern with having them develop their civilization early is that what incentive still prompts them to return to their native timeline when their history catches up? Other than that, the idea of them going to the stars and developing a interstellar civilization does sound pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                          X