Stalwarts and Taint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalwarts and Taint

Why don't Stalwarts accumulate Taint the way Aberrant-era novas do? My theory is that Taint is a specific side effect of the Galatea explosion. What do you think?

My name is Colleen. My favorite song is "Wildwood Flower." My ambition is to write the complete history of the White Wolf/Onyx Path universe.

I may be someone who is commenting from the outside, so forgive my ignorance, but maybe Stalwarts are only capable of reaching a safe level of power, but Novas can exceed this limit, at the cost of opening themselves to negative mutations?

Comment

What ZealousChristian24 said. Aberrant has a sidebar talking about “Stealth Novas” — that is, novas with no Quantum Powers and only minimal Mega-Attributes, relying primarily on Mega-Attribute Enhancements. That's basically what a Stalwart is, with Dynamic Knacks conceptually being more like Enhancements than like Quantum Powers; and Adventure! explicitly limits Dynamic Knacks to Ranks 1–3, outright stating (in the Super Science rules) that more potent (rank 4–5) Knacks theoretically exist, but aren't directly accessible by Adventure!-era Stalwarts. And, back on topic, you'll note that Aberrant's stealth Novas typically don't have to worry about Taint, either; Taint is generally something you don't encounter unless you channel a lot of Quantum, which is not something “stealth Novas” tend to do.

Comment

One thing to remember is that while Stalwarts are on the Quantum end of the Telluric spectrum, from what I remember they are not manipulating Quantum directly. Taint occurs when humans directly manipulate Quantum through the MR Node in their brain because they are not up to the task of manipulating it without some side effects.

So ZealousChristian is pretty much correct, in that Stalwarts are not manipulating as much Quantum energy (or directly manipulating it) as Novas are through the MR node.

Comment

Stalwarts and novas are ultimately the same thing, albeit at different power levels. The effects of quantum corruption still exist but are much less noticeable at those lower ends of power, such that stalwarts generally don't notice that it's even there.

Ian A. A. Watson
          Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
            Stalwarts and novas are ultimately the same thing, albeit at different power levels. The effects of quantum corruption still exist but are much less noticeable at those lower ends of power, such that stalwarts generally don't notice that it's even there.
            Interesting. So with that in mind, did Divis Mal start out as a stalwart and then develop into the power levels of a Nova?

Comment

Originally posted by Wednesday View Post

Interesting. So with that in mind, did Divis Mal start out as a stalwart and then develop into the power levels of a Nova?

I think this is pratically stated as fact in the info we are given about Doctor primoris in Adventure, as they describe him as some sort of super-stalwart that also possesses dynamic equivalents to mesmerist knacks among other things, if memory tricks me not.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

I think this is pratically stated as fact in the info we are given about Doctor primoris in Adventure, as they describe him as some sort of super-stalwart that also possesses dynamic equivalents to mesmerist knacks among other things, if memory tricks me not.
                I've always interpreted that as "Donighal was close enough to the device to get slammed flat into being a Nova right away," and assumed that Novas and Stalwarts were distinct from one another just like Psions and Mesmerists.

Also like Daredevils and thing-never-actually-used.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

I've always interpreted that as "Donighal was close enough to the device to get slammed flat into being a Nova right away," and assumed that Novas and Stalwarts were distinct from one another just like Psions and Mesmerists.

Also like Daredevils and thing-never-actually-used.
                  Most fluff seemed to imply it was mostly a matter of different stages of the same stuff - my overall impression anyway. Stalwarts are basically Nova-lite, much like Mesmerists are Psiad/Psion-lite.

Comment

Originally posted by Wednesday View Post

Although many of those present (Jackson Harley, Benjamin Dixon, Hephaestia Geary-Wexler, Baron Zorbo) suddenly became Inspired, only a sparse handful were knocked up to a separate "power level," if you want to use those terms. Donighal was thrown straight into being a full-blown nova in a sea of stalwarts. Max Mercer gained abilities unique to any daredevil yet encountered. And [REDACTED]

Ian A. A. Watson
                    Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

I have to admit I break from canon at my own table. Primoris was a Stalwart originally (though a very powerful one). He only became a Nova after disappearing in the Trinity test explosion - the same event that blasted Max to the 22nd Century.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                        Although many of those present (Jackson Harley, Benjamin Dixon, Hephaestia Geary-Wexler, Baron Zorbo) suddenly became Inspired, only a sparse handful were knocked up to a separate "power level," if you want to use those terms. Donighal was thrown straight into being a full-blown nova in a sea of stalwarts. Max Mercer gained abilities unique to any daredevil yet encountered. And [REDACTED]
                        I'm guessing that [REDACTED] was a psychomorph: not actually a psion (because that involves Doyen-driven activation chambers and a narrowing of potential to a single Aptitude, if TC is anything like TU in that regard); but far more potent than the typical mesmerist of the age.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                          I'm guessing that [REDACTED] was a psychomorph: not actually a psion (because that involves Doyen-driven activation chambers and a narrowing of potential to a single Aptitude, if TC is anything like TU in that regard); but far more potent than the typical mesmerist of the age.

I think Psiad is referenced in the books - the Aberrant PG i guess - as a term for those "non-tweaked natural Psions".

Comment

Based on the way Taint progressed, my personal theory was always that psiads/psions and noetic energy have a regulating effect on novas. Sort of psychic insulin, for lack of a better expression.

The Hammersmith incident, for example, created a roughly equal number of psi and quantum users . . . and Taint wasn't really an issue at that time. But it starts to become a problem in the Aberrant era, when the number of new quantum users drastically outnumber the number of new psi users. And new novas born on Eden (in the Aeon era), far from any psi user, start with three dots of Taint.

Maybe its a reach, but the books do state that noetic energy can interfere with quantum powers . . .

Comment

Working...
                            X