Question for Ian Watson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thedonnie View Post
    Unless it is specifically written down that they are only highly skilled humans, then I will cleave to my own idea that they are people who manipulate things on a subatomic level to influence how some things play out. That may even be a houserule.
    With that being said, I can accept that Talents can be just incredibly and highly skilled humans. After all, there are numerous examples of things like that. Such as every action movie ever made. Not to mention the killer in any non-supernatural horror movie. Or even the cunning mastermind who plots things out well beforehand such as Batman. I am just saying that I would like to have mine manipulate particles to stick with the way the other two flavors do it.
    There's a great quote about Ethan Hunt in the last Mission Impossible, "Sir, Ethan Hunt is the living manifestation of destiny." While it's lazy having a derivative of "manifest" in such close proximity to "destiny," it is how I feel Talents/Daredevils can likely be described. I don't know if this indicates that they're consciously manipulating sub-quantum particles or some such Dancing Wu Li gobbledegook but it does feel like the archetype for the character classification.

Comment

You can argue that Talents aren't superhumans with some semantic shenanigans but at the end of the day they get narrative superpowers, really, and that's that.

Comment

Originally posted by Solar View Post
        You can argue that Talents aren't superhumans with some semantic shenanigans but at the end of the day they get narrative superpowers, really, and that's that.
        No, that's Aberrant's thematic playground, not core Trinity's.

Neall Raemonn Price
        Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

But what about Project Tantalus, the sub-division of Project Utopia set up to study paramorphs? If paramorphs/Daredevils/Talents are just exceptionally skilled and/or lucky human, then what's to study? Alternatively, if Maxwell Mercer is the only paramorph in the setting, there's not much for Project Tantalus to study there either. Please explain. Thanks.

My name is Colleen. My favorite song is "Wildwood Flower." My ambition is to write the complete history of the White Wolf/Onyx Path universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Neall View Post

No, that's Aberrant's thematic playground, not core Trinity's.
            Aberrant is about characters with actual superpowers, not narrative ones though. By narrative superpowers I mean granted a degree of mechanical superiority by virtue of being significant to the narrative.

In the setting, they don't have superpowers. In the game, they do.

Comment

I like it! At this point the characters in Fast-Furious don't have particular super powers but they do seem to have narrative ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Queen Anne Country View Post
                I like it! At this point the characters in Fast-Furious don't have particular super powers but they do seem to have narrative ones.
                Yeah, that's a fine way to look at it.

There are some in-game shenanigans in terms of deducible alteration of probability (Doctor Primoris even comments on this in Adventure! and Continuum follows the same theme), but like Ian said it's an emergent property of humanity's place within the Continuum and not a sharp divide between human and superhuman.

Neall Raemonn Price

Comment

Originally posted by JulianMoon View Post
                  But what about Project Tantalus, the sub-division of Project Utopia set up to study paramorphs? If paramorphs/Daredevils/Talents are just exceptionally skilled and/or lucky human, then what's to study? Alternatively, if Maxwell Mercer is the only paramorph in the setting, there's not much for Project Tantalus to study there either. Please explain. Thanks.
                  That's an interesting question, isn't it?

It's almost like Aeon's asking the same questions a lot of people in this thread are asking...

Ian A. A. Watson
                  Onyx Path Community Manager
                  Trinity Continuum Lead Developer

Comment

Essentially humans in the setting have some sort of weird probability effecting capability which seems to work off certain mind/skill sets, scenarios and events, is what I am getting. They aren't superhumans in the sense that it is an element of humanity that they have such potential capability, however they are in the sense that we, in real life, don't have that same tangible ability to affect probability. There seems to be no demarcation between those who can do it and those who don't, rather it is a spectrum that everyone is on (but most people are so low that they might as well have fallen off the bottom).

Not that any of this really affects me since I am an Aberrant guy and Aberrant alone, but it's my understanding.

When are these games coming out, anyway? Seems like I've heard nothing for ages...

Comment

When are these games coming out, anyway? Seems like I've heard nothing for ages...
                      After Scion!

Neall Raemonn Price

Comment

They did state that August would be the KS for Scion. I would hope that it is not that long after that they have the Trinity KS...at which point, I will look like the most popular Fry meme.

Comment

In short, if we're positing a setting in which certain people can develop the potential to control quantum energies with their minds, it's not to much of a longshot to suggest that even ordinary people interact with the fundamental forces of the universe in extremely subtle ways that are indistinguishable from happenstance, yet that some of those seemingly ordinary people are a bit more "keyed in" than others, so that those forces just seem to line up for them even when they don't consciously do anything to cause it.

Comment

You're necro-ing a lot of really old threads lately, Black Flag.

Ian A. A. Watson
                            Onyx Path Community Manager
                            Trinity Continuum Lead Developer

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                              You're necro-ing a lot of really old threads lately, Black Flag.
                              Characters
                              Last edited by Mangle77; 03-15-2017, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X