Aberrant: Had an odd idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aberrant: Had an odd idea

Since we see roles being part of Scion (Warrior, Hunter, etc.), I wonder if we'll see comic-book archetypes in Aberrant? Paragon, Brick, Elementalist, Magic-User, etc.?

On a more serious note: Might be interesting to do things that way with Chrysalis, assuming we get Chrysalis back...

I'd rather not. I feel one of Aberrant's strengths is not slaving itself to comic book tropes.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't be against it if they are introduced purelly as references or inspirations. Like wolfgar said, the thing I like the most about aberrant is their separation from common comic book tropes, and the freedom to create my character however I want. If you want concrete archetypes you could check out mutants and masterminds. I don't think it would be difficult to translate them.

Comment

I mean, if you want them, I'm sure it would be easy to do.

That said, I think if you look back at superhuman character creators in non-RPG media, a big part isn't trying to make new characters fit into existing classes, but rather to try to give them new interesting abilities that complement the character. The original X-men weren't thought up by Stan Lee going "Okay, we need a balanced party with a blaster, an esper, and a brick"; they were thought up by being ridiculously weird for the time.

Comment

It was just whimsy on my part. Still, the idea of drawing more bonuses from the God/Monster/Visionary archetype you're channeling through Chrysalis is intriguing, and kind of makes sense, in a way.

Comment

We're going to do something a little different with Chrysalis this time around.

Ian A. A. Watson
            Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

I was so frustrated with "Mal is coming out of his third Chrysalis" while "Mal's only aberrations are that he looks too perfect". That was impossible if he had actually been through the Chrysalis three time!

Great to hear its changing!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Mal's so dreamy!

Comment

I'm hoping for a lot of changes, Mal being one of them.

My biggest hope is a better power-customization system. But having Mal and the others not be big bad uber-NPCs would also be nice.

Comment

I'd say there is what is in the books, and there is what is in the culture, as far as Mal goes. Mal was given fairly loose powers so he could act as a plot device as need be; using him as a power benchmark was a mistake too many people playing the game made.

Comment

Really, the more I think about the idea, the more I think archetypes are really just ways to try to put together a theme for one's abilities. So really we aren't looking for character types/roles maybe perhaps so much that we are looking at character paradigms/styles. Your role isn't Powerhouse, your style is Powerhouse. It's the difference in saying "I'm the Australian business woman who fights with Thai kickboxing" versus "I'm the Thai kickboxer."

Comment

Originally posted by SpectacularTentacular View Post
                        Since we see roles being part of Scion (Warrior, Hunter, etc.), I wonder if we'll see comic-book archetypes in Aberrant? Paragon, Brick, Elementalist, Magic-User, etc.?

On a more serious note: Might be interesting to do things that way with Chrysalis, assuming we get Chrysalis back...
                        The point of Scion's Callings is to provide an organizing principle for the Knacks, since Epic Attributes aren't a thing anymore. So with Aberrant, the question is what organizing principle for its "knacks" (formerly "Mega-Attribute Enhancements"), if not the attributes? And in that regard, some of the comic book archetypes actually do quite well: the Brick, for instance, would give a place for what were formerly Mega-Strength and Mega-Stamina Enhancements; the Speedster would cover the former Mega-Dexterity Enhancements; Sensory Enhancements would cover former Mega-Perception Enhancements; Shifter Enhancements would cover the more physical of the former Mega-Appearance Enhancements, while the "mess with peoples' perceptions" ones could be folded together with former Mega-Charisma and Mega-Manipulation Enhancements for a set of Mentalist Enhancements; and finally, Genius Enhancements could subsume Mega-Intelligence and Mega-Wits Enhancements.

A system of Archetypes set up for providing Enhancements has the benefit of not being locked up with the Attribute grid, which is nice because you get to keep things like a category of Sensory Enhancements even though there's no longer a Perception slot in the Attributes grid. And while I used 1e's Mega-Attribute-based Enhancements as a starting point, you wouldn't have to stick with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post

The point of Scion's Callings is to provide an organizing principle for the Knacks, since Epic Attributes aren't a thing anymore. So with Aberrant, the question is what organizing principle for its "knacks" (formerly "Mega-Attribute Enhancements"), if not the attributes? And in that regard, some of the comic book archetypes actually do quite well: the Brick, for instance, would give a place for what were formerly Mega-Strength and Mega-Stamina Enhancements; the Speedster would cover the former Mega-Dexterity Enhancements; Sensory Enhancements would cover former Mega-Perception Enhancements; Shifter Enhancements would cover the more physical of the former Mega-Appearance Enhancements, while the "mess with peoples' perceptions" ones could be folded together with former Mega-Charisma and Mega-Manipulation Enhancements for a set of Mentalist Enhancements; and finally, Genius Enhancements could subsume Mega-Intelligence and Mega-Wits Enhancements.

A system of Archetypes set up for providing Enhancements has the benefit of not being locked up with the Attribute grid, which is nice because you get to keep things like a category of Sensory Enhancements even though there's no longer a Perception slot in the Attributes grid. And while I used 1e's Mega-Attribute-based Enhancements as a starting point, you wouldn't have to stick with that.

There was a similar chain of thought that led me to post this idea in the first place. Because I am curious: What IS the organizing principle for attribute-based "knacks" going to be in Aberrant? Are Enhancements going to be Powers, or something similar but not quite?

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post

The trick in that would be not locking down concepts with the Archetypes. One of the things my group and I loved about Aberrant was the ability eschew traditional RPG/genre roles.

Comment

Originally posted by Totentanz View Post
                              The trick in that would be not locking down concepts with the Archetypes. One of the things my group and I loved about Aberrant was the ability eschew traditional RPG/genre roles.

I agree, it has problems. What I'm interested in is, what are they doing instead?

Comment

Working...
                              X