Supplements to Adventure!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If one is to dream ...

Period pulp horror in the view of Lovecraft, Howard, Hodgson, Blackwood, and the like, incorporating the ideas of forbidden knowledge, alien/non-human influences, and disturbing scientific theories into Adventure!

Western pulp.

And a collection of places along the lines of the Hollow Earth, Atlantis, Shambhala, Thule, Mars, and so on.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

As much as I would like to see a world war two sourcebook, the more I thought about it the more I realized Adventure! wouldn't fit. The pulp style and ideals cannot survive so much horror. A different game with a different tone is needed.

Back to the question at hand, here's what I would love to see expanded from the main book.

-Supplement dedicated to mad scientists, their inventions, crafting, and gadgets,
      -Supplement with extra information about stalwards, mesmerists, and daredevils, with extra knacks.
      -Suplement expanding information about the organizations and how to create your own. Possibly with new ones.
      -Supplement with information about ancient civilizations, conspiracies, world secrets and how to use them in your game.
      -Supplement exploring the future of the setting if the pulp ideals triumphed and managed to prevent the great depresion and the world war.

And that's it for now. I'll add more If I can think of any.

Comment

Originally posted by Firanai View Post
        -Supplement dedicated to mad scientists, their inventions, crafting, and gadgets,
        This would, as they said back in the day, rock on toast.

I sometimes imagine Adventure! being done the same way all of White Wolf's early WoD games were done, with splatbooks for Daredevils, Mesmerists, and Stalwarts, city/setting books (New York, Hollywood, Berlin), and so on.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
          Period pulp horror in the view of Lovecraft, Howard, Hodgson, Blackwood, and the like, incorporating the ideas of forbidden knowledge, alien/non-human influences, and disturbing scientific theories into Adventure!
          Overlapping with that, I'd like to see a book on occultism, "magic," and psychic phenomena -- probably taking a pseudoscientific approach, as befits the Continuum. Fewer bells, books and candles; more ectoplasm and electric pentacles. That said, 1920s-era ideas about psychic powers are still pretty different from the later SF that inspired Aeon/Trinity, and I'd like to see a supplement reflecting that. Obviously, this could also double as a Mesmer book, although there's room for Daredevils and Stalwarts to get in on the fun, too. The idea of achieving superhuman mental and physical abilities through rigorous training was a staple of the pulps; just look at Doc Savage!

Comment

I wonder if they'll even use the title Aventure! In the new edition!

Comment

I have always believed that the proper title is TWO-FISTED TALES OF SHERE DAMN MANLY ADVENTURE!

Comment

While I'm thinking about it, it'd be kind of cool to have a sourcebook specifically about female characters. What life was like for women of different classes, races, countries, etc. in the 1920s, ways to get around various restrictions (including pointing out ones people may think exist because of "common knowledge" but actually don't), a look at female characters in the period Pulps (including how to invert and subvert various stereotypes and genre tropes), the close cousins to the Pulps including female detective stories, aviatrix fiction, radio dramas, newspaper comics, and so forth, maybe a discussion of lesbianism in the 1920s and 30s, things to think about when making female villains and other NPCs, ideas and examples of all-female organizations, and maybe include a dozen or so female NPCs that can serve as allies, mentors, rivals, enemies, plot hooks and what not.

I'm probably one of the few people who'd buy such a book, sadly, but it'd be kind of cool to have it as maybe a special March release for National (American) Women's History Month and International Women's Day.

Comment

While I'm thinking about it, it'd be kind of cool to have a sourcebook specifically about female characters. What life was like for women of different classes, races, countries, etc. in the 1920s, ways to get around various restrictions (including pointing out ones people may think exist because of "common knowledge" but actually don't), a look at female characters in the period Pulps (including how to invert and subvert various stereotypes and genre tropes), the close cousins to the Pulps including female detective stories, aviatrix fiction, radio dramas, newspaper comics, and so forth, maybe a discussion of lesbianism in the 1920s and 30s, things to think about when making female villains and other NPCs, ideas and examples of all-female organizations, and maybe include a dozen or so female NPCs that can serve as allies, mentors, rivals, enemies, plot hooks and what not.

I'm probably one of the few people who'd buy such a book, sadly, but it'd be kind of cool to have it as maybe a special March release for National (American) Women's History Month and International Women's Day.
                  It sounds cool to me too. A book on including other groups left out of pulp adventure like non-whites (nicely attacked by the Mississippi Slim vignettes in the book) or the problems of a gay male couple in period.

Comment

There was supposed to be a book on that very subject for a different game line (about 10 years ago IIRC), looking at everything from women, blacks and gays to even German and Japanese nationals in the 20s and 30s, but I've no idea if it ever actually came out or even which game line it was meant for.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

It sounds cool to me too. A book on including other groups left out of pulp adventure like non-whites (nicely attacked by the Mississippi Slim vignettes in the book) or the problems of a gay male couple in period.
                      While diversity and representation is always high on our list of priorities, I'm not sure if Mississippi Slim counts, per se: many of the sample characters had their origin in playtests. Adventure!'s credits page makes note of a character named Marshall "Slim" Shady, who is doubtless supposed to be Mississippi Slim. Given the clear parallels to Marshall Mathers, aka Slim Shady, aka Eminem, I'm pretty sure Slim was intended to be a riff on Eminem. As Slim is referenced earlier as a blues musician, I'd guess the intent was to play against type in the same way that Eminem does as a prominent Caucasian rapper (a genre mostly filled with black artists), except in this case a Caucasian blues musician (again, a genre mostly filled with black artists). A neat idea for a character, certainly, but not one I'd personally hold up as an example of diverse characters.

Yes, I may have thought about this too much, and it's entirely likely I'm wrong about the original intent of Slim. His ethnicity is never mentioned in the book, IIRC, so it could easily go either way. In any case, we're striving to do better with the new edition.

Ian A. A. Watson
                      Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

There was supposed to be a book on that very subject for a different game line (about 10 years ago IIRC), looking at everything from women, blacks and gays to even German and Japanese nationals in the 20s and 30s, but I've no idea if it ever actually came out or even which game line it was meant for.

I believe Bruce Baugh was going to write that, and I'm sure that was for a FATE game which, interestingly, was written as an admitted love letter to Adventure! It never got published for reasons related to, I think, Mr. Baugh's health issues.

Comment

That's a shame. I would've snapped it up in a heartbeat and used it as info and inspiration not just for Adventure! but for Mage, Changeling, Werewolf, Scion, Mutants & Masterminds, Call of Cthulhu and other things as well.

Comment

That's a shame. I would've snapped it up in a heartbeat and used it as info and inspiration not just for Adventure! but for Mage, Changeling, Werewolf, Scion, Mutants & Masterminds, Call of Cthulhu and other things as well.
                            Generally speaking, one is well-served to snap up things in which Bruce has a hand.

- C.

Clayton A. Oliver • Some Dude With a Keyboard

This is the sound of me breathing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tegyrius View Post

Generally speaking, one is well-served to snap up things in which Bruce has a hand.

- C.
                              Well, naturaly. Its just common sense. The same with that guy who used to be Richard Dansky's protege.

Comment

Well, naturaly. Its just common sense. The same with that guy who used to be Richard Dansky's protege.
                                The proteges of Dansky are legion; the world hums with the sound of their keyboards and there is always a desk burning in the darkness. #danskyfacts

- C.

Clayton A. Oliver • Some Dude With a Keyboard

This is the sound of me breathing.

Comment

Working...
                                X