Beginning a new Scarred Lands 5E Campaign

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning a new Scarred Lands 5E Campaign

So I am about to begin GM'ing a Scarred Lands 5E Campaign for my players. I am actually quite new to the world and am really looking forward to something fresh and new besides the Faerun... Is there anything I should be looking for, focusing on, or steering clear of? My players are coming from a 2 year 5E campaign and they felt the same way about it as I did...the Faerun is great, but there are so many other worlds out there and other options such as Scarred Lands.. I actually thought about sending them to this new world from the mists of Ravenloft as we wrap up their travels in Barovia. I am highly looking forward to this for sure.

Well, if everyone want something different you should probably place the spotlight on that, picking some areas or cultures that really highlight the differences and focusing on them. There are some fairly generic places you could avoid but there's a lot of out there places to visit, I guess a lot would depend on what your previous adventures through Faerun were like, where they focused on.

Comment

Some good places to start are Mithril: City of the Golem, the Fangsfall Peninsula, and Shelzar, depending on the tone you want to take. Each of those areas provides you with some benefits: for instance, Mithril places you in "friendly-ish" territory with Vesh right around the corner, but still provides you some significant threats from the Proud and other things. Fangsfall is a pretty neat area to roll about, but is also somewhat isolated from other parts of Ghelspad. Shelzar can get you some interesting Arabian Nights feel.

Hollowfaust can also be a great place to go if you want to introduce a truly neutral player in the setting and show how Lawful Neutral undead-based society functions, plus provides some good, hard dangers with the Ukrudan Desert and the Hornsaw Forest nearby.

Comment

Thank you to both of you for the information! This will help for sure.

Comment

Ah, another question. Do the previous books work well with the new guide or should I steer clear of them and just wait for new material?

Comment

I think they're pretty good still. Obviously the mechanics have changed and some stuff are different in regards to what's playable but otherwise the old ones were pretty solid.

Comment

Fluff-wise it depends on the where. System wise... they're pretty much all overwritten at this point.

The later old material is probably going to be overwritten less as times goes on; the earlier material had some consistency issues as the Scarred Lands was shaping up (though some of the early stuff was also very, very good, like Mithril and Hollowfaust).

Comment

Ah okay. That is definitely good to know. Thank you both!

Comment

Working...
                X