Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Player Looking for a Starting Point (D&D 5e)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Player Looking for a Starting Point (D&D 5e)

I'm looking to start my foray into Scarn and wanted to know where I should begin. I have experience on both sides of the screen with D&D 5e but am new to the Scarred Lands setting. I will be running games for a group of 3-4 who are new to the game as well as the setting.

Are the original 3.x books still valid or has the new edition overwritten most of them?
    Has the new edition advanced the original plotline at all, rebooted it, or simply updated the underlying mechanics to Pathfinder/5e?

Thanks in advance!

"The Man and the Beast are having an amiable picnic in that Savage’s head. It’s rather disturbing." - Blood and Smoke: the Strix Chronicle, pg. 22

Member of the Circle of Five Gaming Group

The new edition has not advanced the original plotline, but it did revise certain aspects of it (making lesser titans an explicit thing now, introduction of the Redeemed, which are former titanspawn races, and a few other things). For the most part, the core setting remains as it was, with some great updates to flesh out a few things and smooth over a few points in the old canon.

Many of the 3.X books seem to be still valid, as their canon hasn't been contradicted. I know a lot of the folks on the team were taking a very strong view of, "Update, with love and respect to the old canon." Later stuff is probably, at this point, safer than earlier stuff, but the earlier stuff is still like 60-80% valid.

The Ghelspad Hardcover for 3.5 and the Gazetteer have definitely changed from old 3.X to the newest edition. The Divine & The Defeated is still probably a great go-to sourcebook (not for the stats, but for the lore).

That help?

Comment

Originally posted by Psyclus View Post
      That help?
      Immeasurably so. It means I have a lot of catching up to do, though.

"The Man and the Beast are having an amiable picnic in that Savage’s head. It’s rather disturbing." - Blood and Smoke: the Strix Chronicle, pg. 22

Member of the Circle of Five Gaming Group

Comment

I wouldn't panic too much. The PG to Ghelspad hardcover is pretty darn thorough for 5E. I hope to see a lot more coming out, and a lot of the older stuff is just a treat to read (I may have a soft spot for Blood Bayou and Echoes of the Past, as my user name indicates).

Comment

Working...
        X