Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes Titans different from Gods?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What makes Titans different from Gods?

    And how do lesser titans like Spiragos fit into the whole thing?

    Going into something of a metaphysical bent at the moment and would like any books on the gods & titans of Scarn and any sort of related beings as Divine & Defeated is the only one that i mostly know on the subject.
    Last edited by Baaldam; 09-04-2020, 09:00 PM.

  • #2
    Player's Guide to Clerics and Druids and Edge of Infinity both touch on this.

    The key bit would be page 12 of Divine and Defeated, reiterated on page 10 of the Scarred Lands Player's Guide - the titans draw their power from the world itself, while the gods draw their power from mortals.

    The lesser titans are a second edition addition, and there's a sidebar addressing them and where they fit (or not) on p. 14 of the SL Player's Guide. Whether they're truly titans or creations of the originals is unknown, but like the greater titans they seem unable or unwilling to draw power from mortals.


    Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by marin View Post
      Player's Guide to Clerics and Druids and Edge of Infinity both touch on this.

      The key bit would be page 12 of Divine and Defeated, reiterated on page 10 of the Scarred Lands Player's Guide - the titans draw their power from the world itself, while the gods draw their power from mortals.
      Guess it's time for a extended re-read. While i have seen the titans as more elemental, overall primal, savage or uncaring seems to be better words for describing them overall.

      Originally posted by marin View Post
      The lesser titans are a second edition addition, and there's a sidebar addressing them and where they fit (or not) on p. 14 of the SL Player's Guide. Whether they're truly titans or creations of the originals is unknown, but like the greater titans they seem unable or unwilling to draw power from mortals.
      Yeah, i've been under the impression that Spiragos pretty much sparked the concept so far. In fact, are any beside it described in the books?

      Have a longstanding fondness for the setting but sometimes divided between playing/GMing as is or porting to some form of Storyteller, but not really sure between nWoD Mirrors, Exalted 3e or Scion 2e (that i know almost nothing about the changes in fact).
      Last edited by Baaldam; 08-30-2020, 08:16 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Question: the name of a god being forgotten when it falls supposed to be a form of general phenomena/event or was it something particular to unique conditions of the demigod of the Forsaken elves (that has returned as per the trilogy, if memory tricks me not) fall? The subject has nagged me somewhat since reading some stuff on the dead god of the second moon, Belsameth & Madriel's fallen brother.

        In fact i have a bunch of lore expansion/retcon related to the guy, so some input on that and other stuff could be quite interesting.

        Truth be told, i sometimes get a feeling part of the Titans are kind of lacking in theme and imagery, not to mention some kind of overlap, if not outright redundancy between a number of them: Golthagga & Thulkas (iron, fire, some connection to forging, distant mostly accidental creators), Gulaben & Lethene (winds, storms, wildness), Golthain & Gormoth (harmed by their brethen, defined by their mutilation/suffering). Sometimes it makes me want to merge some of them for convenience and to add some confusion/complexity to the mix, with alternate names, claims of resting place and other things.
        Last edited by Baaldam; 08-30-2020, 12:22 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
          Question: the name of a god being forgotten when it falls supposed to be a form of general phenomena/event or was it something particular to unique conditions of the demigod of the Forsaken elves (that has returned as per the trilogy, if memory tricks me not) fall? The subject has nagged me somewhat since reading some stuff on the dead god of the second moon, Belsameth & Madriel's fallen brother.
          People forgetting names of gods is generally the result of specific conditions (Chern's curse for the elven god, and the intervention of other divinities for REDACTED and REDACTED), or simply time for divinities dead way before the Divine War.


          My Slarecian Vault contributions

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by haaz View Post
            People forgetting names of gods is generally the result of specific conditions (Chern's curse for the elven god, and the intervention of other divinities for REDACTED and REDACTED), or simply time for divinities dead way before the Divine War.
            Yes, the more i read on the books, the greater my impression that the elven god's case was far very much particular to them instead of the norm. Good to see other people agree on that.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
              Truth be told, i sometimes get a feeling part of the Titans are kind of lacking in theme and imagery, not to mention some kind of overlap, if not outright redundancy between a number of them: Golthagga & Thulkas (iron, fire, some connection to forging, distant mostly accidental creators), Gulaben & Lethene (winds, storms, wildness), Golthain & Gormoth (harmed by their brethen, defined by their mutilation/suffering). Sometimes it makes me want to merge some of them for convenience and to add some confusion/complexity to the mix, with alternate names, claims of resting place and other things.
              So if you have Termana hardcover, check out the sidebars talking about the Ushada. Then take a look at the Seraphic Engine in Lost Tribes of the Scarred Lands. You can slowly piece together a working theory for why there's so much thematic overlap between the Titans. (Because it's possible that "Titans" are just really, really powerful Ushada, and Ushada are just expressions of the land and nothing says they have to be unique.) More than that, the Titans may be the result of some terrible dabbling/feasting on things they really shouldn't have with the Nameless Orb and Psyclus the Sundered (see generally Blood Bayou and Echoes of the Past).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Psyclus View Post

                So if you have Termana hardcover, check out the sidebars talking about the Ushada. Then take a look at the Seraphic Engine in Lost Tribes of the Scarred Lands. You can slowly piece together a working theory for why there's so much thematic overlap between the Titans. (Because it's possible that "Titans" are just really, really powerful Ushada, and Ushada are just expressions of the land and nothing says they have to be unique.) More than that, the Titans may be the result of some terrible dabbling/feasting on things they really shouldn't have with the Nameless Orb and Psyclus the Sundered (see generally Blood Bayou and Echoes of the Past).

                I'll have to look into that. Might end up being something that doesn't with the game i have in the works and already involves some lore retcon as it stands. For reference, in my slightly tweaked setting:


                - Much of dream magic and some elements connected to Erias & Psyclus actually originate in the manipulations of Orathel, god of the grey/second moon, brother to Belsameth & Madriel.

                - The Negative Energy Plane is literally Gaurak's Gullet, descolated from the Titan when he unwittingly overextended itself by swallowing Belsameth's moon (what was the Grey Faced One intent all along).

                - The Negative Plane/Endless Hungry Dark/Gaurak's Gullet also works as jumbled expy of sorts to the Phlogiston of Spelljammer, with a number of places swallowed by Gaurak existing as asteroid-isles & such within and the Realms of Dread of Ravenloft, in the form of the Silvermist Realms, eerie lands of a dreamlike nature that coalesced around a number of particularly infamous (Mythic ranked) undead through the ages and will come & go between this plane, Scarn and Erias' domains.


                Might or not affect anything, but as you mentioned Psyclus and Echoes i felt it might be relevant to mention, as i use far more of Pathfinder's take on psychic powers & such, instead of the old Psionics Handbook-based materials we initially got with the Slarecians. In fact they have been something of a blank spot in my game so far, as i have been a little uncertain on how much of an adaptation i'll have to do and some of the "occult" systems has already

                (That said i have really considered the idea of making True & Occult Rituals the one & the same thing and relating them to the Uthriac's and campaign to break down the world in its base component parts, what might make things very interesting, to say the least, as even the gods themselves use True Rituals at times)

                I'll definitely check it all out anyway just to see what comes up, one can always change and rework ideas, as long as nothing gets messed up mid-game.
                Last edited by Baaldam; 09-04-2020, 09:00 PM.

                Comment

                Working...
                X