Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarn's magic origin

Hi,

I played some years age as a player in scarred land's settings, but I would like to use this setting to play with "Chroniques oubliés", a french alternative version from the 3rd OGL. I read actually the player's guide to scarred land for the 5th ed. Pretty complete for a first book (and I like the new spirit of this edition) , but I canno't find from where magic in scarred land come from. Mesos is the sire of sorcery but it seems that he invent a way to master arcane magic, but the magic itself doesn't come from Him. So basically magic is some sentence which give a form to the arcarne energy if I well understood. But what is this energy ?

PS :I'm not an usual D&D player so that could explain my confusion. I only played in Scarred Land.

3e's Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards and Sorcerers mentions two different theories on the origins of magic - one, that it's always been a part of the universe, or two, that it began with the titans.

So you could make the case that arcane energy is a fundamental component of Scarn's cosmos.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

A clear answer, thanks to you, I will take a look at the player's guide to Wizards, didn't think it could contain some background...

Comment

Word of warning: it's a tiny little bit in the first page of the first Wizards chapter.

Oddly enough, chapter 4, one of the Bard chapters, has a theory that could also be appropriated for this, amongst the various theories on bardic magic they offer: the primal sound philosophy, which holds that all of creation was brought about by a single sound or word that reflects every existing thing.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

The PG's were the best for that sort of theory-crafting. There seemed to be a low-key theme of "arcane magic is the natural magic of the world" through Mesos. But that theory had its flaws, which was nice of the writers, and gave us a whole host of other magical theories.

Contrasted with the Slarecians where their powers were utterly alien and did not belong.

Comment

As someone who uses Vampiric Aura a lot and loves to give lifelink to creatures with my Lurkers, Tainted Remedy would be horrible for me to play against - I often take damage in early turns, and recoup it vampiric life drain in mid-late game. Vampiric Aura on a semi-powerful creature when opponent is mostly non-flier is usually a win condition - even if they have stuff like drones to block me with, every block is healing me.

Comment

Working...
            X