Necromantic Nostalgia: Hollowfaust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necromantic Nostalgia: Hollowfaust

For the sake of sparking conversation, I'm quickly ranting about one of my favorite supplements; Hollowfaust: City of Necromancers!
    I enjoyed it so much, I used it in multiple D&D settings and it's fluff as inspiration for a [not-historic-at-all] DA: Mage game. Another player in my troupe, iirc, ported it to his Exalted setting. Overall, I got a whole lot of mileage out of this little book.*

Anyone have good stories to share about the City of Necromancers?

*To this day, I regret selling it

This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
    (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
    ").

Ahh yes.. One of my favorites. I liked the idea of a place where necromancy wasn't automatically considered evil. One of these days I will update some of the material to Pathfinder.

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
    The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
    Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
    Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

It was a great setting, including the friction with Glivid-Autel. The cover art was pretty iconic also. It's one place I never ran a campaign, though it would certainly provide lots of inspiration. The pdf is on sale over at Drivethrurpg, happily I still have my paper copy

On the path to never 'working' a day in my life

Comment

Hollowfaust was a fantastic setting. I ended up dropping it into my Exalted games years ago, and it (and it's evil-sister city Glivid-Autel) have played a large role in many of my games.

Definitely one of my favorite things from the Scarred Lands.

Comment

Probably the city/nation book i got most milleage of, for a variety of games going with D&D, cWoD or nWoD, Exalted, Rifts and even my current "Guardians of Galaxy" D6 game.

Comment

Hollowfaust is one of my favorite city settings, ever.

Rose Bailey
            Onyx Path Development Producer
            Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

I'd love to see the Slarecians resurface also. I ran a very sinister game incorporating an ancient experimentation keep of theirs. And the Toe Island pirates (where I set the keep). Can think of some great ideas for them. I think I'm just saying I love the setting period! Rich, detailed and innovative.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
                Hollowfaust is one of my favorite city settings, ever.
                Come to think about that, it probably is my favorite city setting.

Only a few of the Dark Sun cities even begin to approach it.

Hollowfaust. No better place to live.

Or die.

Comment

Originally posted by KPLangers View Post
                  I'd love to see the Slarecians resurface also. I ran a very sinister game incorporating an ancient experimentation keep of theirs. And the Toe Island pirates (where I set the keep). Can think of some great ideas for them. I think I'm just saying I love the setting period! Rich, detailed and innovative.
                  Oh yeah, would love to see more on the Slarecians too, though i was a bit leery of the Psionics x Magic mechanics in Scarn back then and would much appreciate seeing something more polished and not quite so open to extremes. As an aside, the whole thing about super-psis & etc got me thinking of the weird idea of the Slarecians as the last remnants as a pre-coming of the Titans world - and that world as the future of the world of Athas or something of the sort.

Comment

I enjoyed the psionics vs magic,to me it's the reason the Slarecians are so deadly and why the gods and titans set aside all their differences to wipe them from the Scarn. I appreciate psionics aren't to everyone's taste though.

I had my group on a divine mission to halt the Slarecians return, they were scouring alien ruins for artefacts to help provide them with some defence. Never did quite finish it though :-/

Comment

I enjoyed the psionics vs magic, to me it's the reason the Slarecians are so deadly and why the gods and titans set aside all their differences to wipe them from the Scarn. I appreciate psionics aren't to everyone's taste though.

I had my group on a divine mission to halt the Slarecians return, they were scouring alien ruins for artefacts to help provide them with some defence. Never did quite finish it though :-/
                      I don't have a problem with the concept - the implementation is the part i was very leery of, as they adopted some specific options of the Psionics Handbook that weren't all that well-thought for starters, but only become worse when one takes it to the epic plus level of the Slarecian, something the writers clearly had not planned for when making those options in the first place...

It was not a matter of "so big you have to set aside differences to take these guys down" so much as "each side can and will crush the other like a gnat under its sandal if they get to make the first move", among other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

I don't have a problem with the concept - the implementation is the part i was very leery of, as they adopted some specific options of the Psionics Handbook that weren't all that well-thought for starters, but only become worse when one takes it to the epic plus level of the Slarecian, something the writers clearly had not planned for when making those options in the first place...

It was not a matter of "so big you have to set aside differences to take these guys down" so much as "each side can and will crush the other like a gnat under its sandal if they get to make the first move", among other things.
                        I thought Echoes of the Past - The Slarecian Legacy, addressed some of the poorly implemented psionic options quite well. RR2 also had a few options on handling psionics. I think the point is though, as you mention and something I held to, the Slarecians were ancient and powerful. They didn't even make an appearance in my game till beyond 10th level.

Like everything I guess, they were take it or leave it. I think we both agree they were a great concept, though clearly had problems in the execution, but then I think that was endemic for psionics in general in 3/3.5.

To quote RR2 and the Campaign Setting: Ghelspad book though, the gods went to war over their followers being enslaved but couldn't finish the task on their own, so sought assistance. Enter the titans.

Comment

I thought Echoes of the Past - The Slarecian Legacy, addressed some of the poorly implemented psionic options quite well. RR2 also had a few options on handling psionics. I think the point is though, as you mention and something I held to, the Slarecians were ancient and powerful. They didn't even make an appearance in my game till beyond 10th level.

Like everything I guess, they were take it or leave it. I think we both agree they were a great concept, though clearly had problems in the execution, but then I think that was endemic for psionics in general in 3/3.5.

To quote RR2 and the Campaign Setting: Ghelspad book though, the gods went to war over their followers being enslaved but couldn't finish the task on their own, so sought assistance. Enter the titans.
                          Level is not a problem, level is never a problem, you just pace up things in the story so the PCs have satisfying room for growth and enough minions and sub-bosses to fight until the big bad joins the fray. My problem was that the options suggested seemed wonky even at low levels and at the slarecians high-level basically turned Scarn into a house of glass cannons.

The set-up seemed weird and broken to me overall - that said, it has been years since i actually saw the book from a friend, so i might have missed some important stuff. Might check that out for sure some day.

Now, back to the actual subject, that is Hollowfaust. Well, the first D20 character i ever played was an young rascal of a necromancer native of the city who still managed to keep some ties to his family due to a facility at stealth and taste for exploration and getting himself in trouble. As he somehow managed to become a journeyman young despite that, his elders threw him into some work as schoolteacher and judge, what resulted in more minor scandals involving young mothers or the daughters of certain magistrates than any gain in maturity, what lead to suggestions that he might be of greater help supporting the stygian guard or might enjoy a part in some expedition and this way he went with really no trouble, while still managing to become a notorious scoundrel and rakehell along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

Level is not a problem, level is never a problem, you just pace up things in the story so the PCs have satisfying room for growth and enough minions and sub-bosses to fight until the big bad joins the fray.
                            I'd agree. There was plenty of foreshadowing in my game, including them finding a slarecian that had been locked in stasis that they inadvertently freed. Thus the whole cycle began.

I like your character concept. Oddly enough, my games have unintentionally been set solely on the east coast of Ghelspad, though I've soaked up all the literature for Scarn. Sadly, I've never managed to play in a Scarred Lands campaign.

The time spent in Hollowfaust by Vladawen the Titanslayer in Forsworn (part 2 of Richard Lee Byers Dead Gods Trilogy) adds some great insight to the city. It's definitely something I'd love to see updated.
                            Last edited by KPLangers; 08-27-2014, 10:56 AM.

Comment

In addition to Hollowfaust, I used the Bayou of Sorrows, the Carnival of Shadows and the Jack of Tears quite a bit. Those were some other cool things I really liked in the Scarred Lands.
                              Last edited by AnubisXy; 08-27-2014, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X