Necromantic Nostalgia: Hollowfaust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, it's Thread Necromancy.

Given the content, I feel no shame about it.

I regret selling my physical copy of Hollowfaust all those years ago, but it's on sale for only six bucks ($6.00) at Drive-Thru RPG!(Hazah!)

Just letting folks know.

This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
    (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
    ").

Comment

Originally posted by Nazfool View Post
      Yep, it's Thread Necromancy.

Given the content, I feel no shame about it.

I regret selling my physical copy of Hollowfaust all those years ago, but it's on sale for only six bucks ($6.00) at Drive-Thru RPG!(Hazah!)

Just letting folks know.

Nobody will rue a little exhumation with the City of Necromancers.

So, anyone cares to speak of their own experiences, playing or STing Hollowfaust, in D20 or adapted to other games?

Comment

I avoided using Hollowfaust in my two Scarred Lands campaigns. I found the whole idea of a society using the undead as labour to be cliché. It has been done so many times, both in fantasy as well as in science fiction where you just substitute undeads for robots.

Comment

KEWL STORY BRO

").

Comment

KEWL STORY BRO

I am sure we all want to build a thriving Scarred Lands community for our own benefits, but also to give Onyx Path an incentive to continue publishing Scarred Lands products. If you agree, then please keep your sarcastic remarks to yourself when a new user makes a forum post.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakob View Post
              I avoided using Hollowfaust in my two Scarred Lands campaigns. I found the whole idea of a society using the undead as labour to be cliché. It has been done so many times, both in fantasy as well as in science fiction where you just substitute undeads for robots.
              While it was an element, undead as labour was far from the whole point with it. There's a reason they had a number of societies, among other things.
              And speaking of "done so many times" could you give some examples? Because from back when it came out i can really only remember Jakandor (that i would better know later)...

Comment

What country is Hollowfaust in?

Comment

Originally posted by Erich Zann III View Post
                  What country is Hollowfaust in?
                  The city-state of Hollowfaust is north of the Festering Fields and east of the Ukrudan Desert.

").

Comment

The city-state of Hollowfaust is north of the Festering Fields and east of the Ukrudan Desert.
                    Thank you. I was searching the Hollowfaust book for hours trying to find it. I suspect that the actual location isn't terribly important. But I was curious.

Comment

Thank you. I was searching the Hollowfaust book for hours trying to find it. I suspect that the actual location isn't terribly important. But I was curious.
                      Any time.

").

Comment

So basically, it is an independent city-state because the local geography allows it to be a sort of oasis of peace and confort amidst hellholes, that also conveniently restrict the passage of most threatening/expansionist powers - though not all, as show by the Sutak's campaigns or the looming threat of the Glivid-Autel or less frequently the titanspawn that compete with the Autel for the woods...
                        Last edited by Baaldam; 10-04-2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I loved Hollowfaust although at this point I don't remember a lot of specifics.

Comment

Originally posted by Resplendent Fire View Post
                            I loved Hollowfaust although at this point I don't remember a lot of specifics.
                            Well, i remember mostly some essentials - ancient city that suffered a Pompeii-style natural disaster during the Titanswar, its whereabouts and condition discovered by a group of powerful necromancers of pretty varied personalities who migrate to the city with their respective cliques of followers to occupy it and make the most of the aura of death and thousands of preserved corpses expect to result of such event, due to ups and downs of the period following the Titanswar ending up with a virtual army of refugees asking for asylum and protection in exchange for service and their acceptance of the deal leading to the slow transformation of the place in an actual city-state with the necromancers at the top of the hierarchy, as aristocracy and magistrates (yes, the necromancers may play judge, public teacher and other things as part of public services and their duties), an internal rift leading to the mass exile of their most demented/abusive members, who would form the rival community of Glivid-Autel in the Hornsaw Forest.

Beside this they will have occasional problems with gorgons & other titanspawn from Hornsaw and a tribal society of militaristic titanspawn from the (also nearby) Ukrudan desert, the Sutak, that occasionally show great skill at fire-related magics. Also, the aura of death, while a little lessened by decades of partial humanoid (beside the humans majority, a dwarven clan set up shop in the city and runs many foundries and some lawyer officers) reoccupation is still more than enough to attract the random undead from far away places to settle in, requiring occasional "pest control operations" for the sake of citizenry and Vangal, who apparently caused the original disaster, seems to still have some interest in the area.

For more than this, i simply go and catch the book among my things.

Comment

looking at the kickstarter thingie, at least it seems they are adding some archeypes for Hollowfaustian chars...I am rather hoping they will add Shade-touched either as a rogue archetype or they'll re-work the prestige class.

Comment

Must admit i'm most curious about how things will turn out for 5e or Pathfinder-based updates.

Comment

Working...
                                X