New classes and Scarred Lands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New classes and Scarred Lands

I guess that Pathfinder will be the go-to.
    Will Scarred Lands consider classes in Advanced Player's Guide, Ultimate Combat, Ultimate Magic, Advanced Class Guide and Occult Adventures?
    I was wondering because...well...gunslingers mean firearms in your setting, I don't know if that was a thing in Scarred Lands. Plus, I don't know if psionics was a thing back then, you might want to consider Dreamscarred Press psionics!
    Aaaand psychic magic from Occult Adventures too.

Even if they don't decide to alter the setting for gunslingers, there's still the Bolt ace archetype, other than the cavalier orders may need some retailoring in fluff, I don't see major problems with the rest of the additional classes

Comment

Psionics did have a role in the setting, though it was a mostly alien and eerie thing connected to the Slarecians and their agents & associates.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
        Psionics did have a role in the setting, though it was a mostly alien and eerie thing connected to the Slarecians and their agents & associates.
        looks like the classes in occult adventures will fit this nich pretty well.

Comment

I would think that the you (as GM) should pick and choose extra classes available. Gunslingers would be out, as would Samurai. Cavalier orders would need refluffing. Alchemists may or may not work, and if you DSP's Ultimate Psionics, classes would need picking and choosing from there also.

Comment

Given that the Titanswar literally frayed reality, it is entirely possible that guns where used during the titanswar and then utterly forgotten about and rather suddenly rediscovered or the followers of a metalwork focused god or titan figuring out firearms. For example, Burok Torn has lots of metal, bat shit and a constant threat from Calistia, Deir Drendal has a similar situation as well. Both could develop firearms easily.

Samurai are just reskinned Cavaliers and are very appropriate for the dragon lands.

Comment

I just finished rereading Hollowfaust for the first time in forever (first Scarred Land book of many to come) and I could see both the Arcanist and the Spiritualist having a place in the Guilds. Several of the the prestige classes could easily be retooled and better represented by archetypes, which I suspect would be the case across the game line.

Comment

The Classes:
                Alchemist: Definitely thematic.
                Cavalier: Chivalry and knightly orders definitely play a role in Scarn
                Gunslinger: probably the biggest reach but it is not tremendously reaching for Scarn to be a "Emerging Guns" world with possible pockets of more advanced weapons in the hands of metalwork obsessed titan spawn and forgotten advanced civilizations.
                Inquistor: Absolutely an ideal Scarn class.
                Magus: Mesos's Curse puts this class at a disadvantage, but there are plenty of fighter/wizards in scarn, this class works fine.
                Oracle: A lot of explaining why Oracles exist needs to happen, and a strict ruling as to whether there are Titan worshiping/empowered Oracles.
                Summoner: The many planes intertwined with Scarn and the denizens of those dimensions is a continuing theme in Scarred Lands.
                Witch: Super appropriate to the setting, in fact it saves page count not having to refurbish dozens of witch prestige classes.
                Antipaladin: No reason why Vangal can't have playmates.
                Ninja and Samurai: Both fit in the Dragon Lands.
                Arcanist: A blending of Wizard and Sorcerer, works fine in scarn.
                Bloodrager: A blend of Barbarian and Sorcerer, in Scarn this is refereed to as being Albadian.
                Brawler: Lots of pit fighting traditions in scarn, no reason why you have to be an ascetic to punch people a bunch.
                Hunter: A militant druid with a pet, definitely appropriate.
                Investigator: Plenty of room for this class.
                Shaman: Basically a druid version of the witch, super appropriate.
                Skald: Barbarian/Bard, also known as being Albadian.
                Slayer: A Rouge/Ranger focused on killing, totally a Belsameth thing.
                Swashbuckler: A dex based fighter that uses a grit system for style moves, very appropriate for places where armor is a bad idea like arid regions and scarn's many seas.
                Warpriest: Very appropriate to the setting.

Honestly the class that is the oddest man out is probably the Oracle, spontaneous divine power goes against some of the most important themes of the setting. I really want rules for titans being witch and shaman patrons, there are some that are obvious (serpent totem being mormo etc) but for the most part there are lots of characters in scarn who are odd multi-classes that would fit better as one of these Paizo classes.

Comment

Originally posted by rat_bastard View Post
                  The Classes:
                  snip
                  What about Kineticist, Psychic, Medium, Spiritualist, Occultist and Mesmerist?

Comment

Considering that psychic powers were a thing in the scarred lands, I'd imagine all the occult classes exist, but since psychic powers were mostly shown as the province of weird inhuman beings, I'd argue they shouldn't be mainstream, but weird and unusual.

Comment

It seems that most of these classes will be talked about in the SLPG (see here ) ^^ even the samourai for the asaath :P

Comment

No love for the Gunslinger it seems.

Comment

I would guess that their strategy is first to provide enough material to reproduce what has already been published for 3.X, so that iy appeals to both newcomers and players who alreday know the setting, and afterwards only expand on it

Comment

Well to be fair, I don't remember the setting having the technology level to suggest gunfighting was something to consider worthwhile.

One can of course take some of those archetypes that aren't gun dependent and make them available.

Comment

Firearms started coming into vogue in the 13th century, The mongols took Baghdad with cannons, grenades and rockets. The tech level of Scarn is and most likely has in the past been more than sufficient for fire arms.

Comment

Working...
                              X