Scarn Tieflings, Aasimar, Dragonborn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarn Tieflings, Aasimar, Dragonborn

Given that Tieflings and Dragonborn are in the 5e Player's Handbook, I'm wondering if they'll be in Scarred Lands?

I toss tossed the Aasimar in the title for what the hell reasons.

I'm not familiar with Scarred Lands so maybe they're already in it.

And what about stranger stuff like Warlocks (Fey, Fey, Lovecraftian pacts), and so on?

Ah, so Scarred Lands is part of D&D?

I didn't know these guys worked on that too. Was too lazy to ask!

Comment

To my knowledge all three are not in the setting. At least not officially. 3.5 SL setting used the three main rulebooks that had the planetouched in them. It has always been "it's your setting include what you will. BUT in the published material they are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
        Ah, so Scarred Lands is part of D&D?

I didn't know these guys worked on that too. Was too lazy to ask!
        Wha? Worked on that too?

Scarred Lands is a D&D/Pathfinder campaign setting. I don't think any of the Scarred Lands devs work on D&D.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

Wha? Worked on that too?

Scarred Lands is a D&D/Pathfinder campaign setting. I don't think any of the Scarred Lands devs work on D&D.

Personally, I get confused about the whole D&D and Pathfinder stuff. I'm still unclear if Forgotten Realms, Pathfinder and all that other stuff is part of the same setting, or different worlds of their own.

Comment

Personally, I get confused about the whole D&D and Pathfinder stuff. I'm still unclear if Forgotten Realms, Pathfinder and all that other stuff is part of the same setting, or different worlds of their own.
            Are they owned by the same company?

If no, then they are not connected.

Forgotten Realms is a trademark of Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast. It has no association with Pathfinder, which is a Paizo property. Scarred Lands is owned by Onyx Path and... someone who's name I've forgotten and can't be arsed to look up right this second, and as such is working to make books within both rulesets to, theoretically, increase their market penetration.

Comment

Okay the settings in brief.

D&D is basically a giant multiverse of multiverses.

Within the D&D Multiverse are the Multiverses of the Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Planescape, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Mysteria, Birthright, Greyhawk, Nentir Vale, Eberron.

With the Forgotten Realms universe are several worlds, the most promient being Toril, but their is also its twin world Abier, and Glyth, Anadia, Coliar, Chandos, Kapri, Garden, H'Catha.

It also has a variety of planes, depending on edition, like the Elemental Chaos, Towers of Night, Brightwater, Gates of the Moon, The House of Knowledge, the House of Nature, Fury's Heart, Warrior's Rest, Avandor, Dragon's Eeyrie, the Shadowfell, the Feywild, ect...

On Toril, the only really serously detailed world, you have the subsetting of Mazatica, Zakahara (setting called Al Qadim), Kara Tur (think Asian counties), Faerun (the main contient, with a variety abd multitidue of races, cultures, city states, and nations), plus a few barely explored contients of Anchrome, Ozze, ect...

Now Pathfinder is a system deprived and expanded upon 3.5 D&D rules, but is owned by another company and does not connect to the D&D multiverse, and its setting is Golaron, a world with its own major contients and races, sharing many with D&D which was its inspiration.

The Scarred Lands is one I'm not that familiar with, but its owned by let another company, originally White Wolf, now Oynx Path, originally using 3.5 D&D rules, but is NOT connected to the D&D Multiverse or Golaron, and it has multiple contients, cultures, and races.

Given the greater focus on Tieflings right in the PHB of 5e D&D, I'd be surprised if they don't work in Tieflings abd Dragonborn in the setting, in 3.5 they weren't core player races, they were monster manuel critters first within the core books.

Comment

If I've been paying attention, it goes like this: the Pathfinder RPG originated from the Open Gaming License that was first started with D&D 3rd Edition, and continued with the 3.5 rules - Pathfinder is put out by Paizo Publications, who used to publish Dragon and Dungeon magazines. Scarred Lands was an independent setting that was developed using the same OGL 3.5 rules, with its own races, gods, and adventures. Now, Onyx Path owns the rights to the Scarred Lands setting, and they will be expanding and updating it using the OGL rules, and also using the D&D 5th Edition rules through a similar license. It isn't an official D&D game, nor is it Pathfinder, but you can use the setting with either set of rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                  Given that Tieflings and Dragonborn are in the 5e Player's Handbook, I'm wondering if they'll be in Scarred Lands?

I toss tossed the Aasimar in the title for what the hell reasons.

I'm not familiar with Scarred Lands so maybe they're already in it.

And what about stranger stuff like Warlocks (Fey, Fey, Lovecraftian pacts), and so on?
                  Long story short, tieflings and aasimars exist in the Scarred Lands (at least the original version, and probably the new one as well), even though they are really rare. There are a couple of places where they are slightly more frequent (notably, for example, Lageni, as dear Arch-Duke Traviak tried to breed them for his armies), but still remain unusual.

I suspect that dragonborns will be exclusively for the Dragon Lands (and to be honest, I don't think they will cover any Dragon Lands any time soon), so I would say nope, no dragonborns, at least for the time being.

For warlocks, they are mentions of pact magic thrown here and there, so yes, it definitively exists, even though in 3.X it never used the warlock class or any equivalent.

Comment

D&D is a system. It has a number of default setting assumptions in its corebooks (for example, a default assumption of the game is that your world will contain elves, dwarves, halflings and orcs), but no default setting in the sense of geography, politics etc.

Enter campaign settings, which are books describing specific worlds, giving you a more defined framework for making your own adventures, and often adding new options or altering the default assumptions of the game slightly. For example, Dark Sun is a magical post-apocalyptic setting where arcane magic drains vital force from the planet, most of the known world is a desert and water is extremely scarce, so the campaign setting book has modified rules for arcane classes and a set of rules for survival in the desert. Official campaign settings for D&D include Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Eberron, Planescape, Birthright, Dragonlance and other (not all are available for every edition of the game).

Along with third edition, D&D introduced Open Game License (OGL), a legal way for third-party developers to create their own D&D-compatible material. Many sourcebooks and campaign settings arose from this, along with many completely new games based on the mechanical core of the d20 system. Scarred Lands is such a third-party campaign setting.

Which leads us to Pathfinder. It started as a third-party campaign setting for D&D 3.5, but when that game got replaced with a controversial fourth edition, the authors of Pathfinder saw the opportunity to take over the disenfranchised 3.5 players by remaking it into a standalone OGL game that closely mirrored 3.5, but attempted to improve upon many aspects of the rules - whether they succeeded or not is a matter of some contention, but the game became quite successful, at some point eclipsing D&D 4e as the most popular roleplaying game. Due to how similar it was to 3.5, it's sometimes jokingly called "D&D 3.75".

To make things more confusing, Pathfinder also works under OGL, so now in addition to third-party D&D products, you also have third-party Pathfinder products.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Thank you for clearing it up for me.

Comment

Doesn't though answer the question.

What about them? My own thoughts are that they could work. Tieflings could be a new race created by Mesos warping humans and tempting them with greater magical power. There appear to be demons in Scarn's cosmology so humans laying with demons for pleasure or one of many other reasons could happen. They might not be common.

The dragon born could have been created by the Mother of Serpents but they can easily fit in the setting. Or maybe created by the gods Corean and Vangal to bolster the ranks, since Dragonborn mature quickly according to the core handbook. Though I must admit I am a bit curious as to the role of dragons in the world of Scarn, and how they fit into things. For example were dragons allies of the gods and titians? Did they stay out of the war? Were they the weapon that tipped things in one sides favor? I think that will go a long way to answer what role dragon born play in the setting.

Comment

Okay, so as I continue to look things over, and learn about the setting I developed a short lore for the Dragon born. Since the dragons were the weapons of the titans the gods captured Dragon eggs and Belsamath, and Corean warped the dragon eggs to produce the Dragonborn.

Comment

Hop, before I go a little bit in the details, I want to clarify that what follows is my own understanding of the setting, and I don't believe there is a "right" or "wrong" answer. In particular, if you want to make your personnal changes because it suits you and your game better, well, go for it ^^

For tiefliengs. As mentioned above, they already exist in the setting, as descendants of unions between fiends and humans. They are pretty rare, except maybe in a few key locations where interactions with demons or devils are more common (examples are Lageni, probably the Obsidian Pyre, Kasiavel in Termana, and of course, Asherak). Remember that generally, outisders (angels, demons, etc) are aligned with the gods, while elementals are aligned with the titans (of course, exceptions exist) and therefore, tiefliengs could be probably considered as a "divine race" (even if, again, that may vary from individual to another and therefore).

For dragonborns. In the setting, there is a distinction between true dragons and wrack dragons (which are elementals shaped as dragons created as the weapons of the titans you speak of). True dragons are magical entities which are neither divine or titan by nature. As the slaracian, they come from another world. Long time ago (before the war against the slaracians), the true dragons left almost all continents to retreat on their Dragon Isles (a continent south-east of Asherak, where the gods and the titans are mostly unknown) and stayed isolated here. There are is only one true dragon on Ghelspad (and it is a young one trapped in Shelzar's menagerie), and I don't think there are many on Termana (the only that I can think of is the Tar dragon which lives in the Gamulganjus). Which means that anything related to true dragons would probably only happen on the Dragon Isles. Now of course it would be easy to insert Dragonborn in the Dragon Isles and call it a day ^^ For example, they could simply replace the kobolds (which were created by the dragons as their servants and their emissaries with the other humanoid races), or have been created in one of the many wars the dragons fought between themselves

Again, this is only my interpretation of the books. I might have misread stuff, and it doesn't mean you should refrain from changing or complementing whatever you like if that suits your game better ^^

Comment

Originally posted by haaz View Post
                              Hop, before I go a little bit in the details, I want to clarify that what follows is my own understanding of the setting, and I don't believe there is a "right" or "wrong" answer. In particular, if you want to make your personnal changes because it suits you and your game better, well, go for it ^^

For tiefliengs. As mentioned above, they already exist in the setting, as descendants of unions between fiends and humans. They are pretty rare, except maybe in a few key locations where interactions with demons or devils are more common (examples are Lageni, probably the Obsidian Pyre, Kasiavel in Termana, and of course, Asherak). Remember that generally, outisders (angels, demons, etc) are aligned with the gods, while elementals are aligned with the titans (of course, exceptions exist) and therefore, tiefliengs could be probably considered as a "divine race" (even if, again, that may vary from individual to another and therefore).

For dragonborns. In the setting, there is a distinction between true dragons and wrack dragons (which are elementals shaped as dragons created as the weapons of the titans you speak of). True dragons are magical entities which are neither divine or titan by nature. As the slaracian, they come from another world. Long time ago (before the war against the slaracians), the true dragons left almost all continents to retreat on their Dragon Isles (a continent south-east of Asherak, where the gods and the titans are mostly unknown) and stayed isolated here. There are is only one true dragon on Ghelspad (and it is a young one trapped in Shelzar's menagerie), and I don't think there are many on Termana (the only that I can think of is the Tar dragon which lives in the Gamulganjus). Which means that anything related to true dragons would probably only happen on the Dragon Isles. Now of course it would be easy to insert Dragonborn in the Dragon Isles and call it a day ^^ For example, they could simply replace the kobolds (which were created by the dragons as their servants and their emissaries with the other humanoid races), or have been created in one of the many wars the dragons fought between themselves

Again, this is only my interpretation of the books. I might have misread stuff, and it doesn't mean you should refrain from changing or complementing whatever you like if that suits your game better ^^

I just realized I made that misread myself and that true dragons did not universally side with one side, in my game so far I'm going with the majority did, and leaving the made by the gods warping true Dragon eggs. They have no cities, kingdoms or lands of their own and tend to live among Elves, Dwarves, and humans.

I also added shifters as a race made to fight Were beasts by Tanil.

And Goliath as a race made by Denev that worship her.

Comment

Working...
                              X