alright, who bleached the drendali?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by haaz View Post
    I woudln't be so sure that it is accidental. The new setting makes some effort to present good or evil being independent on the actual race or tribe, so I wouldn't be surprised that it is done on purpose.

Anyway, I find it funny because I'm running a subterrean campaign in the Scarred Lands and I have placed a race of lizardmen who, after having lived down here for millenia, also have pale scales instead of green (or whatever color lizardmen typically have) ^^
    ​*nods* I do like that, it is a nice break away, allows for more nuanced canon. I just like my drendali dark skinned. I like the image.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Livewire View Post
      I just like my drendali dark skinned. I like the image.
      That's the best thing about fictional races used in role-playing games; they look however the GM describes them as looking when the player characters sight them.

The various subterranean "dark elves" I've used have been pale-skinned for the entirety of my gaming career because Final Fantasy IV (back when it was labelled as II here in the states) and biology as I had learned it up to that point immediately outweighed what the D&D books I picked up had to say (well, except for the D&D products about the Shadow Elves of Mystara, since they were pale-skinned in every appearance other than the arcade beat-em-up games that Capcom made).

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Livewire View Post

​Are you speaking from a writer/developer/official capacity?
        No, just seems like a logical assumption.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

It was me! I bleached the drendali.

As a couple folks have mentioned, it always made sense to me that a subterranean race would gradually become more pale, not darker-skinned. And since the drendali aren't supposed to be drow, whose skin color (at least in typical D&D settings like the Forgotten Realms) is the result of a curse, I decided to revise their appearance. Dar'Tan is now the exception, his skin stained black by the shadow magic he practices.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Holden View Post
            It was me! I bleached the drendali.

As a couple folks have mentioned, it always made sense to me that a subterranean race would gradually become more pale, not darker-skinned. And since the drendali aren't supposed to be drow, whose skin color (at least in typical D&D settings like the Forgotten Realms) is the result of a curse, I decided to revise their appearance. Dar'Tan is now the exception, his skin stained black by the shadow magic he practices.
            ​Thanks for the explanation Scott. That's what I was looking for. I disagree (after all, this is a game that breaks the laws of biology all the time) but I understand your reasoning. I just think jet black skinned elves look cool. :-)

Comment

No worries: In your game, you are the final arbiter. Your drendali can still be the old dark-skinned version!

Comment

Working...
              X