Fiction Friday: Of Predators and Prey: The Hunters Hunted II Anthology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiction Friday: Of Predators and Prey: The Hunters Hunted II Anthology

This week we look at*Lest Monsters We Become*by Jess Hartley, from*Of Predators and Prey: The Hunters Hunted II Anthology.

The Campfire was blazing by the time we drove past. Whoever named the place couldn’t have anticipated how ironic it would sound, when the country bar burned to the ground.

“Keep driving,” I ordered. “Don’t slow down, don’t look at the fire, and for the love of God, no matter what happens, do not stop this car.”

I swapped out the shotgun I’d been clenching in my fists for the camera I kept tucked in the glove box, and took a series of photos as we sped past the inferno. Most wouldn’t come out — I didn’t dare use flash, lest I tip us off as something other than disinterested passersby — but hopefully the flames themselves would provide enough illumination to glean something useful later on. Information is power. That was something Antoine had taught me, a long time ago. No weapons can protect you if you don’t know what’s coming.

And those folks at The Campfire? My guess was none of them had ...

More...

Onyx Path
    This is an automated forum administration account. If you need to contact an administrator, use the Contact Us link rather than PMing this account.
Working...
X