As people put up more content for Canis Minor, I thought breaking down a Pugmire adventure might help people who are struggling with their own creations. So let’s talk about The Secret of Vinsen’s Tomb. There will be some spoilers!

Elements of The Secret of Vinsen’s Tomb*came from a playtest adventure from way back when I started designing Pugmire (particularly, the tomb itself). When I rewrote it for the jumpstart, my goal was to showcase to potential Pugmire players how each of they key systems worked. But that’s also all-around good adventure design. I went for at least one roleplay or intrigue scene, one interesting combat or action scene, and one exploration or investigation scene. There’s actually a couple of each of those, and they’re not balanced (for example, there’s some overlap in “combat” and “exploration”). But if you have at least one of each, that’s a good start.

Next, don’t be afraid to push the boundaries. A lot of players have remarked that Pugmire has a lot of “white space,” areas of the game world that aren’t detailed or explained. That’s ...

More...