Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claws & Effect: Fortune, pt 1 [Realms of Pugmire]

Fortune Markers for Pugmire by Jeff Laubenstein

Today I want to dig into a specific mechanic: Fortune.

If you’ve played either Pugmire or Monarchies*of*Mau, you know how this works. Each story, you start off with two Fortune in the Fortune bowl. Players experience setbacks or play into their personality traits to add Fortune to the bowl, and anyone in the party can ask to take a Fortune from the bowl. If no one says “no,” the Fortune is removed and the person using Fortune can reroll the die or modify the world in some small way.

I like Fortune because it’s a good example of a mechanic that works better through use than through explanation. Let me digress a bit: As a designer, I prefer to underwrite rules instead of overwriting them. “Underwritten” rules are rules that don’t spell out every possible permutation nor heavily explain why they work the way they do, whereas “overwritten” rules explain everything and often force the players into specific, channels. Whether a rule falls on one side or another is fairly subjective, and both approaches have their ...

More...

Onyx Path
    This is an automated forum administration account. If you need to contact an administrator, use the Contact Us link rather than PMing this account.
Working...
X