Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claws & Effect: Fortune 2 [Realms of Pugmire]

Fortune Markers for Pugmire by Jeff Laubenstein

Last time I talked a bit about Fortune, and why it’s written the way it is. Now I want to get into two questions I get a lot: How often to award Fortune, and why Fortune in Mau works differently.

One thing that’s implicit in Fortune but never spelled out is that it’s inverse to dramatic tension. When the tension of the story is low, in general players are generating Fortune, and when the tension is high, players are generally spending it. So the first half of the adventure, Fortune should be going up, but in the second half it’s going back down. Since Fortune resets at the end of the adventure, the ideal path is spending down to zero right near the end.

As a Guide, that’s a good metric. If players are generally coasting in the first half, encourage them to make things more complicated. Suggest botching rolls, and remind them of their personality traits. Sometimes, I give Fortune out early on for a great joke or a wonderful roleplay scene, just to remind ...

More...

Onyx Path
    This is an automated forum administration account. If you need to contact an administrator, use the Contact Us link rather than PMing this account.
Working...
X