[Storypath] Multiple attacks in one round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Storypath] Multiple attacks in one round

Classical RPG trope - Character wants to attack twice in one turn, like shooting from guns in both hands, using two swords, one in each hand - or firing from pistol in one and slashing the sword with other. How this multiple attacks in one round would work in Storypath?

I suspect that it will be mixed action. ( In Trinity Core p. 70, in combat at p. 100 ) So character needs Cunning at least 2+ ( for two actions ) and dicepool Successes are split for each attack?

Here are my doubts...

1. If using the same weapons - or at least weapon category - like two swords or two guns - you use the same dicepool. If using two different weapon categories - you use worst of two Skills dicepools? So using sword and gun would end with rolling lower of Aim + Dexterity and Strength + Close Combat for particular round? 🤔

2. The Difficulty for two attack roll is base enemy Defense, and get at least 1 Success for each weapon - or twice the Defense, simply? For example, enemy has Defence 3. Attacking by shooting with two guns you need to beat Defense 3 with 3 Successes ( as character 'hit' with overcoming Defense 3 ) or each gun need to get past Defense 3 ( so 2 * 3 = 6 Successes ) to hit both?

3. I assume the 'Two Weapon Fighting-like' Edges would lower needed Difficulty for each attack? So if two attacks at Defense 3 would need 6 Success - appropriate Edge would lower sum to only 4 Successes? 🤔
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-22-2023, 08:55 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Going into a more generic answer than the questions.

Notice that there are basically 4 "multiple attacks" options:
    - 1 weapon hitting multiple times the same target: it is a single attack and you may get a critical stunt or other stunts to simbolise the many hits.
    - 1 weapon hitting multiple targets: It´s the usual mixed action, the weapon enhancement applies to a single attack
    - 2 weapons hitting multiple targets: It´s not described anywhere, but I would personally use the highest weapon enhancement only and you need all the dice successes.
    - 2 weapons hitting a single target: Its also not described anywhere, but as you focus on a single target, I would allow a single attack taking advantage of both weapon enhancements and tags.

Notice that each action must have at least 1 dice success to be rolled to be able to happen, like you must have a success in the dice to be able to do a single action. So if you have 2 guns and aim in 2 targets you must roll 2 successes to be able to use the enhancements you have.

There is no edge in that direction, I would suggest a multi weapon edge to take advantage of one of the following advantages (possible multiple edges):
    - Use the best dicepool instead of the lowest (only when using close and ranged weapons)
    - Use both weapons enhancements when targetting multiple targets (each target using the proper weapon tags)
    - Reduce the cost of Critical stunt when using multiple weapons against the same target.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    House Rules - Quantum - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
    House Rules - Psi - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Æon
    Fists and Tomes - Inspired Martial Arts and Mysticism for Talents

Comment

Great advise Mateus, as always! I would only center on one thing....
      Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
      Notice that each action must have at least 1 dice success to be rolled to be able to happen, like you must have a success in the dice to be able to do a single action. So if you have 2 guns and aim in 2 targets you must roll 2 successes to be able to use the enhancements you have.
      I'd you need 2 Successes for 2 attack to succeed - does it means that you need 6 Success ( rolled and from Enhancements combined ) for 2 Attacks on Defense 3 target? 🤔

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
        Great advise Mateus, as always! I would only center on one thing....

I'd you need 2 Successes for 2 attack to succeed - does it means that you need 6 Success ( rolled and from Enhancements combined ) for 2 Attacks on Defense 3 target? 🤔
        There are 2 kinds of success, dice rolled success and enhancements. Enhancement can only be used if you have at least 1 rolled success in the dice. That is the basic rule to make the roll matter, otherwise enhancements would be far more valuable than dice (its kind of already are, but if you dont have dice you have a good chance to fail even with high enhancements).

When you do a mixed action, in addition to have total success equal to the difficulties, you also need at least 1 dice rolled success for each action you are taking.

So, the example you are rolling 5 dice (the lower of the 2 dice pools) and you roll 1 success, so even with 100 enhancements you can only do a single action, and the other action will fail.

ou cant also use the enhancement from one action to the other, for example, if you have +3 enahncemts from the weapon and you are jumping and shotting in the same action, you cant use the weapon enhancement to improve you jump. its not written, but it's kind of obvious...

Also good to remember that you need at least 1 dot in the skill to be able to add enhancemets to the roll, so if you have the ultimate weapon with 5e and you have no dots in Aim, you cant use the enhancements.

Comment

Sooo, going by you line of thought - If I need to hit twice Defense 3 enemy ( or 2 enemies with Defense 3, it' s irrelevant by mechanics ) I need:

1. At least Cunning 2+ ( 2 actions in turn)
          2. Get at least 2 normal Successes ( for 2 different actions in turn ) - each action need at least 1 normal Success to proceed.
          3. To hit those 2 times attacks, 6 (Successes rolled + Enhancements) in the end, to overcome Defense 3 twice.

I get it right? 🤔
          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-23-2023, 03:35 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Yes, as far as I understand.

Comment

Working...
            X