Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformers have Gender Identity now! 🌈

New Transformers Series Introduces Its First Nonbinary Robot [Update]

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Well, they have had male/female division since back in the 80s - what's already curious considering they are robots in the first place.....

Comment

Feels like bait, theirs been pretty solid LGBTQ representation for years in transformers now and a gender fluid dude in 2019, by the articles own admission. Its a nice thing but it's actually pretty part of the coarse for the franchise now so is more of a footnote than breaking ground. But kotaku is gonna kotaku.

Personally I always interpreted shockwave as non binary in a alien robot sort of way. But that's more my spin than cannon. Then again transformers reproduce asexually and have limited gender signifyers so it's debatable if their gender is pure performative with no biological aspects at all.
      Last edited by Ragged Robin; 11-15-2022, 07:17 AM.

Comment

I always assumed that gender is a fairly new concept for them, something that they picked up only after arriving on Earth. They tend to default to "He" and "Him" when using gendered languages like English, but I always imagined that their original language on Cybertron didn't have gender concepts. Everyone was just equally robots.

Comment

I do remember that in Spotlight Arcee that genders were a new thing in Transformers IDW lore when it discovered that Jihxaxus forced a change in the species. But I also remember we had female Autobots in the old G1 series and Shockwave commenting that he thought they were all gone and in Beast Wars we had female Maximals & Predacons galore..

What in the name of Set is going on here?

Comment

Originally posted by Lysander View Post
            I do remember that in Spotlight Arcee that genders were a new thing in Transformers IDW lore when it discovered that Jihxaxus forced a change in the species. But I also remember we had female Autobots in the old G1 series and Shockwave commenting that he thought they were all gone and in Beast Wars we had female Maximals & Predacons galore..
            Transformers reproduce asexually so the reasons for gender tend to vary from edition. In the cartoon its a byproduct of their origins as commercial products wereas in the idw comics tries to graft it on using contemporary thoughts on gender (with mixed results imo).

I always liked the idea as it being a cosmetic option appropriated from organics and us projecting our norms onto it. Arcee is a woman because humans percieve her or the female seeker slipstream consciously chose to model herself that way for personal reasons.

Comment

I'm curious which comic company will get the rights to Transformers now and I hope that it won't be updated for a "Modern Audience" trope.

Comment

Originally posted by Lysander View Post
                I'm curious which comic company will get the rights to Transformers now and I hope that it won't be updated for a "Modern Audience" trope.
                Oh they already did that. Idw did a series where they leaned hard into it. Thankfully they actually did a good job for a change so it went well.

The closest they came to screwing up is transgender transformers since firstly could lean into some cruel comments and the conundrum of how possible it is to replicate such a human issue with genderless alien robots but even then it went OK and didn't go "very special episode.".
                Last edited by Ragged Robin; 12-15-2022, 05:05 PM.

Comment

I heard IDW was going under and they lost the rights to Transformers and other properties or did I hear it wrong? I had heard reports about IDW no longer having the rights to the Transformers last year or so and there was speculation that folks like Robert Kirkman might be interested in it.

Comment

Working...
                  X